Author Topic: NCOWS Senatorial Election  (Read 17288 times)

Offline Dutch Limbach

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
NCOWS Senatorial Election
« on: October 31, 2004, 01:38:12 PM »
There are only 20 days left to vote for your NCOWS Senators. To be counted the ballot MUST be postmarked by NOVEMBER 20TH, and have your NCOWS MEMBER NUMBER on it.

If you've already sent in your ballot, THANK YOU! If you haven't, please take Ben Franklin's advice "Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today".

Dutch Limbach
Chairman NCOWS Senatorial Election Committee
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: NCOWS Senatorial Election
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 07:10:13 PM »
Dutch, do you have a percentage of ballots that already have come in.... :)
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Offline Dutch Limbach

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 07:56:38 PM »
No, I don't. I've just been collecting them from the mailbox. At the end of the month when the Election Committee gets together we will open the envelopes and count the ballots.

PS- Just 13 days left to mail them.
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:35:42 PM »

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 09:26:35 AM »
Sent mine in.  ;D
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 07:00:18 PM »
Sent mine and my wife's in on Monday.  Sent my proxy for the Congress in today since I will be deer hunting with my sons then.

Pete
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 04:07:43 PM »
Mine went in the mail today. Only 4 days left.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2004, 01:02:09 PM »
Hey Dutch, deadlines past how many total votes came in..... ;D
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Offline Dutch Limbach

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2004, 02:08:56 PM »
Wymore,

The committee counted the ballots yesterday. The results have been sent into Marshal Thorpe and the NCOWS office. The members of the committee agreed that the honor of announcing the results should go to the Marshal, so I won't reveal the winners. I can tell you that we had a total of 215 ballots cast. Plus we received a "gratuity" of a counterfeit Confederate $500 bill from someone who identified himself as "Bad Andy".
-- G. K. Chesterton

-- Stephen King

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2004, 05:37:07 PM »
Dutch, I know you couldn't reveal the names but I was very interested in the total number of ballots, I would have expected more ballots to be returned than the numbers that actually came in, many thanks for the information....

Offline Grizzle Bear

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2004, 06:41:20 PM »
I'm rather disappointed at the small number of ballots returned, less than a quarter of our membership.
But just remember, "The world is run by those that show up."

Grizzle Bear

Rob Brannon
General troublemaker and instigator
NCOWS Senator
NCOWS #357
http://www.ncows.org/KVC.htm
"I hereby swear and attest that I am willing to fight four wild Comanches at arm's length with the ammunition I am shooting in today's match."

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2004, 09:05:41 PM »
Dutch:

Many thanks to you and the other committee members for volunteering. It's a service to the organization and should be recognized. Guess we'll be waitin for the snail mail to reach Iowa and the results to be forthcoming. Thanks again.

(Now, you folks can believe this is sincere since the votes are already tabulated and submitted and there's no need to "butter up" to Dutch anymore) ;D.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Frenchie

• "We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Photo by Julio Zangroniz @ "September Storm", 2007
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2004, 11:33:52 PM »
I'm rather disappointed at the small number of ballots returned, less than a quarter of our membership.
But just remember, "The world is run by those that show up."
Grizzle Bear

That is disappointing, GB. On the other hand it means those of us who took the trouble to vote can ask anyone who complains whether they voted, and if the answer is no, well, then...  :-X

Question: Let's say that Member X is holding forth about things he doesn't like, and Member Y wants to know if Member X actually voted. Can he be told Yes or No on that?
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vêtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Offline Lone Gunman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The Lone Gunman ...as himself
    • Lone-Gunman.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2004, 11:18:15 AM »
I can tell you that we had a total of 215 ballots cast.

I'm surprised that only 7 people besides myself voted  :o 

Seriously though that's nearly a 40% drop from last year, here's some figures for the past few elections:

this year: 215
2003:     350
2002:     383
2001:     (reported as 'just over 1/2 the membership...no mention of what that was)
2000:     (no report of total votes at all)
1999:     225

I was expecting a larger turnout since this was the first time we had candidates from outside the Iowa/Nebraska region for quite a while. There's no way of knowing but I wonder what the ratio of shooters to non-shooting voters was? I also wonder what that ratio is overall, I think it might be considerably higher than most shooters would expect.

If Dutch hasn't already tossed them out it would be interesting to know how many postmarks from which states were received. So whadda say Dutch, have you put your shoes back on yet?  ;D
George "Lone Gunman" Warnick

"...A man of notoriously vicious & intemperate disposition"

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2004, 01:37:13 PM »
Ok, Ok, I'm guilty!!!! I didn't vote! :o ("Sumbody git a rope! The varmint needs some air b'twixt his feet and the ground! That'll teach 'im!)

I plead inggernance! I'm brand new to NCOWS and know doodly squat about most of the issues and about the folks running fer office. And while I have met a few of the good folks who are willing to undertake the work involved in running this outfit, I don't know THAT much about them. (Heck I don't even know some of them by thier real names, let alone how they feel about issues facing NcoWS future) And I ain't castin' a ballot based on the blurbs in the publication. I know that what a politician sayz in print can be a far cry from what he/she really feels. So I figger, better to keep my mouf shet and be thought to iggernant than to open it and have it as a know fact! :-[

So..git yer paws offin that rope boys! I got a pair of .45s here, and this old buff gun will cut through about 6 of ya wif one shot! BACK OFF I SAY!!!!!!....... :o
 ;)
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline Trapdoor Billy

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2004, 02:47:43 PM »
To be counted the ballot MUST be postmarked by NOVEMBER 20TH, and have your NCOWS MEMBER NUMBER on it.

Could some of the problem that some folks just received their ballots today?  That would be 11/29/04.
Trapdoor Billy
Indian Scout and Delaware Cowboy

Offline Yuma Kid

• NCOWS Editor (The Shootist Magazine)
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John "Yuma Kid" Irons
  • SASS #: 31302
  • NCOWS #: L129
  • GAF #: 767
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2004, 05:13:54 PM »
Billy,
Ballots were in both the Sept/Oct issue of the Shootist as well as the Nov/Dec issue.
Yuma
Keep Yer Powder Dry!

NCOWS #L129,  G.A.F. # 767, SASS #31302, NRA Life Endowment, Lancaster County Bounty Collection Agentcy #29

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2004, 05:33:31 PM »
Just an observation here...
I'm sure others wil chime in on this, but in addition to the Nov.-Dec. issue, the Sept.-Oct. issue of THE SHOOTIST also had the candidate breakdown/platforms and ballot, the ballot was on page 17.
Granted there have been delays in getting the mag to the membership and for some unknown reason in 'Printing & Shipping Hell',  it doesn't make any difference if you live 20 or 200 miles away from NCOWS HQ and the shipping dock, but generally the mag gets there close to the time needed when a ballot or registration form is required.
Now, I'm not making any apologies here, this is just a simple observation, but with any volunteer-run org this can and does happen, but, with the ballot in two back-to-back issues, unless a member only joined recently and did not get the Sept.-Oct. issue, he/she would have access to a ballot and could have voted in a timely fashion.
In addition, with the increased access to the candidates here and on TFS, it has been very easy to get information to and from the candidates, except those that do not for whatever reason, deem it necesary to not utilize this and the TFS open forums to help promote and explain their individual platforms and or NCOWS ideals. In fact, many of the candidates attended the GRONINGA HILLS ROUND UP this past summer, posted their platforms and took questions at several informal round table discussions offering those members in attendance a rare one-on-one chance to bump elbows with candidates.
That said, I find it unfortunate that anyone using any of the available electronic forums, THE SHOOTIST, telephone or e-mail addresses of the candidates, that they would not take advantage of them and give them a call or post an e-question. All but 3 of those running are regularly listed with e-addresses, home addresses and telephone numbers as Officers/Senators/Posse Reps under THE CONGRESSIONAL REPORT that appears in each issue of THE SHOOTIST. Perhaps the 3 that are not listed should have included their phone, e-address or some way to contact them in their individual platform, that could have helped quantify their platform and made them more available on their part, but again, this is just an observation and no opinion is implied.
All the candidates are our fellow members and are/were running for office to maintain and promote the concept, ideals and agenda of NCOWS for all the membership as a whole, and any member in good standing should never, ever feel that anyone elected to an official position in this or any organization are not accessible, for on the contrary, all you have to do is ask! We are blessed with multiple electronic forums, a bi-monthly mag, a website, e-mail and shooting events where these kind folks can be addressed or button-holed on any given topic, just ask and you'll be surprised how important they think your ideas are!
Best regards and good shooting!
'Ol Gabe

Offline Kayleen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2004, 05:38:01 PM »
By the way folks there was even an envelope in the Sept/Oct issue. All we had to do was affix the stamp and put it in the mail box!
I would think that by the end of this week, if not before, Tracy Thorpe would have the results to our Senators and Reps.
I think Dutch and company need a big thank you for counting the ballots.
Kayleen

Offline Trapdoor Billy

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2004, 06:31:41 PM »
Billy,
Ballots were in both the Sept/Oct issue of the Shootist as well as the Nov/Dec issue.
Yuma

I saw that mentioned in this issue.  Either I missed the Sept/Pct issue completely or the mailman forgot to deliver it after he finished with it.  :)
Trapdoor Billy
Indian Scout and Delaware Cowboy

Offline Lone Gunman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The Lone Gunman ...as himself
    • Lone-Gunman.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2004, 09:28:41 PM »
George Glenn told us at the congress meeting on Nov 20th that there had been some sort of mechanical breakdown at the printers which delayed the Nov/Dec issue. We got some 'hot off the presses' at the meeting but my regular mailed copy didn't get here until this past Saturday.  Overall I think having the ballot in the magazine is a better idea (and considerably less expensive) than mailing them separately as we've done in the past. Maybe a big starburst or something on the cover alerting folks to look inside for their ballot would help. Maybe we would get more participation if we had a drawing of submitted ballots and gave away some sort of prize...we'd need to figure out some way to work that around that whole 'secret ballot' issue I guess  8)
George "Lone Gunman" Warnick

"...A man of notoriously vicious & intemperate disposition"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com