Author Topic: What is the best buy for the bucks?  (Read 8127 times)

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What is the best buy for the bucks?
« on: July 26, 2008, 06:11:31 AM »
 :)Howdy Pards,
i want to buy a complete set of sights for my reproduction sharps 1874, I want a Creedmore style rear long range and the hooded front. I got to looking last night, and the prices are all over the board $75.00-$475.00, don't want marble Want D.P.'s or Soule :o
I wished I hadn't started looking, I am realy confused now!
I don't want to offend anyone, I am disabled and couldn't afford the Shilo Sharps, so I have to live with what I have!
I will be great full for any and all help! My spacing is 1.5 or 1.5125.

Thanks
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Re: What is the best buy for the bucks?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 07:04:38 AM »
Kelly, Baldwin, Shaver, and MVA are the choices.  Shaver also makes an economy version of his sight, but the upper is made in the Ukrain and poorly rated for stability and repeatability.  The Shaver high quality sight is the least expensive of the four choices, but comes with a Hadley eyecup that is top notch.  The Baldwin and MVA are a bit more expensive -- each enjoying a strong following.  The MVA is particularly well liked by serious competition shooters.  At top dollar is the Kelly and it is a work of art!!!! 

A globe sight with level is necessary for three hundred on out, so you'll want to look at Shaver and Kelly for those.  Shaver makes a Lyman 17 size globe with built-in level, and also makes a larger diameter globe that takes proprietary apertures.  The Kelly globes are large diameter.

A sad but true axiom when dealing with sights is:  'You get what you pay for'  I've been saving for two years to get a set of MVA sights for my 38-55 Hi-Wall and a set of Kelly sights for my 45-70 BPCR.  That'll be over a thousand dollars, all up for the two sets.

The trouble is, you can spend three hundred for mediocre sights and be very frustrated and unhappy, or you can spend 500 and be pleased.  The good news is that quality vernier sights never loose value and can be resold.  Lower quality sights are really junk and worthless at time of purchase.

Sorry to be the bearer of this news....

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 03:20:57 PM »
Thank you so much for being honest with me ! You get what you pay for! i will never be a serious long range shooter because of the bad back! So i don't think I can justify $500.00 for a set of sights, 20 years ago, I had no problem spending $400.00 on a Redfield 6x18x40 scope!
 The Importer of my rifle also offers a Tang sight system they call it Creedmore which I assume is the style! Cabela's tripled there price on there D.P. outfit!
 I will have to buy a less expensive set, I do like Shaver site. I have had several people pm me with good offers on used, but they are all for the 2 1/4 spacing and mine is the 1 1/2! My biggest problem buying the cheap sights, is that they don't tell you would made it!
 I am still lost on what I am going to do?
Thank you so much for all the help!!!
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:42:11 PM »

Offline Otter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 05:02:25 PM »
Ace,

I'll just echo what the others have said - you truly do get what you pay for - especially as far as sights are concerned.

The search for ones that will fit your needs and price range can make it a frustrating search and decision. The mfrs named above are good choices, but you will find they aren't "cheap" either. I bought two sets of "Parts Unknown" sights for my two guns - one a Rolling Block the other a Shiloh Sharps. Both are in 45-70. The RB has a spirit level on the front sight, the Sharps has a windage adjustable w/ spirit level front sight. Both have the long range soule sight for the back end. I have looked briefly for contact information for "Parts Unknown" in several SSE mags, but aparently, they have stopped advertising. I'll go back to some other past issues and PM you the contact info for them (assuming they are still in business). BTW - the "Parts Unknown" sights aren't (or weren't) "cheap" either, but I felt they were a very good buy for the money. They are easily re-set to repeated distances, assuming you write the settings down. The two sets I have cost about $800 for both sets (2 front sights and two rear tang sights). Obviously the front widage adjustable was a bit more than the spirit level only front sight.

Good luck in your continued search . . .
I hate rudeness in a man, I won't tolerate it . . . W.F. Call

NRA Endowment Life Member

Offline wwpete52

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 06:13:38 PM »
If you want a very good sight set and don't want to spend a lot of money look at the TriStar Creedmore set. You get a long range tang sight, a mid-range tang sight and a globe front sight.  All three are color case hardened.  They are much better sights than many of the cheapo sights out there. The complete set only costs $99 plus shipping.  Here's what they look like:

http://www.tristarsportingarms.com/images/mediacenter/CredemoreSiteSet.jpg

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 06:39:08 PM »
I saw them last night and I think that is what i will go with because of price! Do you have a set? or do you know anyone that does that I can visit with to see how they like them?
I am great full for all the advice, and I would like to have a set of soule sights, but are way out of my leauge!! :(
WWpete, on there web site the price says retail, I wonder if a person can get them any cheaper?
Thanks ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline wwpete52

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 12:57:40 AM »
I saw them last night and I think that is what i will go with because of price! Do you have a set? or do you know anyone that does that I can visit with to see how they like them?
I am great full for all the advice, and I would like to have a set of soule sights, but are way out of my leauge!! :(
WWpete, on there web site the price says retail, I wonder if a person can get them any cheaper?
Thanks ACE

I ordered mine directly from TriStar.  As far as I know that's the only place to get them.  One of the fellows at Buffalo Arms saw mine and couldn't believe the quality for that kind of money.  For $99 you get a lot of stuff. Two tangs sights and a globe.  That's a great deal!

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 06:13:51 AM »
Pete, You said 2 tangs?, do you get the High and the mid? Does the front sight have the changable inserts?
How do you adjust windage?
I am sorry about asking so many questions?
I want to order something Monday. I also have a man sending me a set, but I don't know the brand if i don't like it i can send it back, and at the price he wants I am not hurt. I do like the Shavver's and the adjusting of the windage.

i will we very great full for the answers to my question if you can!
Thanks ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline wwpete52

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 10:17:28 AM »
Pete, You said 2 tangs?, do you get the High and the mid? Does the front sight have the changable inserts?
How do you adjust windage?
I am sorry about asking so many questions?
I want to order something Monday. I also have a man sending me a set, but I don't know the brand if i don't like it i can send it back, and at the price he wants I am not hurt. I do like the Shavver's and the adjusting of the windage.

i will we very great full for the answers to my question if you can!
Thanks ACE

Yes, you get both the mid-range and long-range tang sight with the set.  No, the globe sight does not have inserts (just a post).  Windage  adjustment is made by turning those big screws on the side of the sight. 
One cool thing is that the sights are color-case hardened and not blued.

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 01:56:22 PM »
 :)Thank you! I will be ordering first thing in the morning, I only live 160 miles away, i wonder how much shipping is and how longh it will take to get them?
Thank you so much!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline wwpete52

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 04:35:16 PM »
If I remember correctly the shipping was only $5.  I live in Washington State and I think I received it within a week.  You should get yours much faster. They are located in North Kansas City, MO.

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 07:37:14 PM »
I new they were in KC, i hope I would get it in 3 days!
Thank you again
Greg
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 12:07:31 AM »
What is the spacing on those Tri  Star sight bases? (doesn't say on the web page :-[ )
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline wwpete52

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 01:36:23 AM »
What is the spacing on those Tri  Star sight bases? (doesn't say on the web page :-[ )

Center to center = 1 1/2"

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 02:29:30 AM »
Center to center = 1 1/2"

Dang! :-[ And they wuz such nice lookin' sights!
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline Haggis MacGurk

• Apprentice Maker of Big Sooty Clouds
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2008, 10:22:00 AM »
Guess i'll wade in here. I have the same 1.5 in spacing on my RB, and I just ordered sights from Parts unknown. I got the long range Soule sight for a little over 300.00. I'm at work right now, and don't have his contact info with me, but I'll post it up here tomorrow. His Name is Sergio, and he runs his business out of Winnipeg, Manitoba. Therefore, all his prices are in Canuck bucks. Best thing to do is go to the Buffalo Arms site, and browse the Ukranian sights there, then call and talk to the other guy. Incidentally, I bought the shaver front site for 85 bucks through Buffalo Arms, and it's great.

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 07:51:11 AM »
I order mine from Tristar, as allways my luck they just changed shipping to $10.00 but nothinhg i can do about!
These ae to be case hardend we will see! You get the Long range set up and the mid range set up and the front hood with a post. If I want the insert, I will mill out the post mill im a slot and tap and screw hole, and bingo!
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com