Author Topic: Accurate Molds  (Read 5545 times)

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
Accurate Molds
« on: February 01, 2019, 11:04:54 AM »
Couldn't let this go by without a mention. On another forum someone reported a new design mold for the .36 Navy. Tapered, three driving bands, 130grs. with two nice lube grooves. It was Accurate Molds # 38-130R. Looked good, so I placed an order on late Tuesday, 1-29-19.
Well, it arrived this morning Friday, 2-1-19!! Are you kidding?  :o That's less than three days total from the time I placed the order till it showed up on my doorstep!! And that's for a mold cut to custom dimensions(really all his molds are). Anyway, after my amazement I just want to thank Tom at Accurate Molds. Now for some above freezing weather so I can go outside and use it!!
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Texas John Ringo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 62
Re: Accurate Molds
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 11:15:00 AM »
Can't find the price. How much was it?

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 639
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 11:15:29 AM »
Tom has always been fast, but that's crazyfast!

I look forward to your range report.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:02:43 PM »

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 05:03:20 PM »
The cost varies. You have to start at the heading"Configure A Mold" where you start to list the particulars you want. Molds can be ordered made from aluminum, iron and brass. Anything from one to five cavities. depending on diameter of bullet. I ordered the 5 cavity mold in aluminum which came out to $154 with shipping. Every mold I've used from Tom at Accurate has been superb and I do quite a bit of casting.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 05:28:42 PM »
Tom's molds have spoiled me. I have had nothing but positive results. To be able to have a mold made exactly how I want it, then to have it in hand within a couple of weeks makes me never want to buy stock molds ever again. I can't speak to highly of his work.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 05:48:15 PM »
I have several of his molds.   Wonderful quality, even on the odball calibers I desire.  Heeled bullets for the 1873 French revolver round, and the .440 Argentine.  A mold for my 10.35 Italian Vetterli.  8mm Rast and Gasser.  Tom is the best.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 05:53:41 PM »
I have his molds for 32-20, 38-40, 44-40, 45 Colt, 38-55, 40-65, 45-70 and 50-70.  I have been really impressed and love them all.  I sure wish he would make a round ball mold..........
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 06:18:20 PM »
I have his molds too, very high quality. Which material do you guys prefer them to be made of? Aluminum or Steel?
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 06:26:16 PM »
Which material do you guys prefer them to be made of? Aluminum or Steel?

So far, I have always chosen aluminum.  I have to admit, however, that the primary reason is because I'm cheap frugal.  I just keep telling myself to be very careful to not damage the molds and they'll be fine.  I've had NO problems with how they perform.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 08:40:39 PM »
Mine are all single cavity aluminum.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 10:09:53 PM »
So far, I have always chosen aluminum.  I have to admit, however, that the primary reason is because I'm cheap frugal.  I just keep telling myself to be very careful to not damage the molds and they'll be fine.  I've had NO problems with how they perform.

CC Griff

My accurate molds are aluminum also for the same reason you said. I asked because I have some steel lyman molds and it seems like I get better pours with the steel molds and a lot less defects especially when first getting the mold hot. Especially in cool weather.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 10:25:30 PM »
My accurate molds are aluminum also for the same reason you said. I asked because I have some steel lyman molds and it seems like I get better pours with the steel molds and a lot less defects especially when first getting the mold hot. Especially in cool weather.

One of our club guys bought an accurate mold - nine days from order to in his hand in southern Australia!!   
Brass mold he is very impressed . 

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 07:54:24 AM »
I wondered about brass, I love the bullets I get from the aluminum ones when I've got it right but it seems like it cools off too fast in cool weather, I can only pour with consistent results in the hot summertime.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2019, 08:21:22 AM »
I keep an old hotplate on my bench.  I preheat the mold on that, and set it there if the process has to delay for some reason.  Perfect bullets every time.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2019, 03:31:34 PM »
I keep an old hotplate on my bench.  I preheat the mold on that, and set it there if the process has to delay for some reason.  Perfect bullets every time.

If you are used to aluminium molds ya gonna find brass heavy (hard on old wrists) ......and .... the brass molds I have (not Toms but good molds) seem to need to run hot

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2019, 11:05:57 AM »
Mine are all aluminum and have had zero problems after casting many thousands of bullets.  I spoke to Tom before ordering my first one and asked his opinion on the best metallurgy for the mold.  He said he used aluminum ones himself, so I figured if it was good enough for him, it was good enough for me........
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2019, 09:27:58 AM »

What kind of temperatures are you pouring in? I like to do it out in the doorway of an open garage for ventilation and it its not temps up in the seventies I can't pour fast enough to keep a couple of my aluminum molds hot and that's running the lead hotter than it probably should be. Steel ones are all fine.

It's especially my small caliber molds, the 32-20 steel molds work fine but I have a lot of bad pours with the aluminum one. A lot of material in the mold with small holes so I guess the aluminum dissipates the heat out.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2019, 10:48:57 AM »
I rotate between three moulds when casting, using both aluminum and steel moulds. This allows the metal cooling time and prevents overheating of any one block.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2019, 06:25:41 PM »
Out in my garage, unheated, with the door and window open, here in Missouri, all winter long!  Just finished a run of 124 grain .356 Truncated cones from a tumble lube Lee mold, 36 degrees right now.  Every one good.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2019, 09:31:05 PM »
Out in my garage, unheated, with the door and window open, here in Missouri, all winter long!  Just finished a run of 124 grain .356 Truncated cones from a tumble lube Lee mold, 36 degrees right now.  Every one good.

What temp are you running your alloy? No way I can do that with aluminum molds, my steel ones work fine. Just trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Well actually my aluminum molds with large cavities do better but my five cavity 32-20 I can't get good pours at all unless it's 80 degree weather where everything stays really hot. Maybe that mold is just too large of chunk of aluminum for the amount of hot lead to keep it heated up.

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com