Author Topic: Another Newbie Question  (Read 10039 times)

Offline Coop Trawlaine

• Come sit by the fire and I'll tell ya a story.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Author-Member Western Writers of America
    • Walt Lange Word Slinger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Another Newbie Question
« on: September 22, 2005, 02:09:18 PM »
Howdy Pards,

You might already have figured out that I a still a newbie at CAS and I read these post on a fairly regular basis, Hawt Dang do I ever get a whole pack mule of useful information.   Yet!  There are still a couple of questions I have.

Here goes:  For those of us that are new to the sport at times it seems that although we all speak American there is some type of dialect that we jest cain't figger out.  Like the classifications,  I have checked my SASS handbook and I either missed them  or something, but I really don't understand many of the classifications.  I mean, Seniors and Ladies this or that are self explanitory, but Classic Cowboy?  Frontier? etc.  Senior Classic Frontier???   That is one of my language questions and the other is some of the patterns that we are asked to shoot at a stage.  Nevada Sweep????   Lawrence Welk????  I have figured some of these out but many times I have to turn to one of my pistol mates and ask "Say what?" 

Is there a site that has all the terms used in Cowboy Action Shooting that I can go to or maybe another form of handbook I can order?

Thanks in advance pards for a leg up.
Coop Trawlaine SASS #63617, SCORRS, WartHog, SUDDS #188, IPSAC #47
Aka: Walt Lange
"Trawlaine" ISBN 1-4137-7738-4
"Trawlaine's Land" ISBN -09479379-0-8
Western Writers of America
Society of Southwestern Authors
www.waltlange.com

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
Re: Another Newbie Question
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 02:43:39 PM »
The Classifications start on page 7 of the January 2005 - Eleventh Edition of the SASS Shooters Handbook.

CLASSIC COWBOY/COWGIRL
• Handguns: Any SASS legal Traditional Category pistols shot Duelist Style
• Calibers: .40 caliber rimmed cartridges or larger - pistols and rifle (e.g., .38-40, .44 Special, .44 Russian, .44 Mag, .44-40, .45 Schofield, .45 Colt) or .36 caliber cap & ball or larger.
• Ammo: SASS legal ammo - smokeless or blackpowder
• Rifles: Any 1873 or earlier manufacture SASS legal rifle or a replica there of (e.g., 1866 Winchester, 1860 Henry, 1873 Winchester)
• Shotguns: SASS legal external-hammer double barrel or lever actions
• Costuming: Must choose at least five of the requirements listed below. All clothing items must be worn appropriately during all shooting events and awards ceremonies. Chaps, spurs, cuffs, tie or scarf worn loosely around the neck or with scarf slide, vest, pocket watch with full-length chain, jacket, sleeve garters, knife, botas, leggings, braces; no straw hats allowed.

FRONTIERSMAN
Same as Frontier Cartridge except handguns are limited to .36 caliber or larger percussion pistols shot Duelist style.

There isn't an official Senior Classic Frontier class, but a local club could have one.

The stage instructions should explain what the sweep is, if not, it is a poorly written stage. For example, the Nevada Sweep on three targets is T1-T2-T3-T2-T1.

I don't know if there is an official list of CAS terms anywhere.

Hope this helps.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Coop Trawlaine

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 05:39:30 PM »
Hey Pard,
Thanks for the reply, it was helpful, now I know where to look in the handbook,,,,like I said by the time I finished reading it I was lost as to where what was...LOL.....ain't the smartest critter in the herd.  Jest the one with the biggest imagination..LOL

One last question,  what do you mean by Duelist,,,,is that two handed, or is that two handed where you use the non trigger hand to cock the hammer?   I am beginning to catch on some.
www.waltlange.com

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:07:58 AM »

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 05:43:34 PM »
Duelist is when only one hand touches the pistol. Traditional, a mis-nomer as far as I'm concerned, is when two hands are on the pistol.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Offline Gus Hall

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 09:32:18 PM »
Hey Slim,

Another Newbie question for ya. For Classic Cowboy category, on a multi-day match, does it have to be the same five costume items, or can you mix and match for different temp/weather conditions? My wool jacket and vest can get kind of warm with no breeze! Jest curious.

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 09:35:22 PM »
You can mix and match, but you must continue to wear the appropriate clothes throughout the match.

Doc

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 10:35:01 AM »
What Doc said.  ;)

Slim

Offline Coop Trawlaine

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 10:38:48 AM »
Duelist is when only one hand touches the pistol. Traditional, a mis-nomer as far as I'm concerned, is when two hands are on the pistol.

Slim

Thanks again Slim,

See!  That is just one of the many little quirks that confuses us newbies.   But with CAS CITY FOLKS help, not to mention fellow shooters at matches, it won't take long before we will be answering the same question to a fresh batch of newbies.

Thanks again
www.waltlange.com

Offline dutchman

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 03:32:21 PM »
Coop, These guys answered your question real good and believe me they know what they're talking about. As for a "Navada sweep" Lets say you have three targets. Numbered left to right: 1, 2, 3. You would shoot these targets like this: 1, 2, 3, 2, 1. Just up and  down with no double taps. The posse leader or RO will tell you which target to start with and you go from there. As for the "Lawrence Welk", I have no idea. Have fun      Dutch
"I come here to die with ye, or live with ye. Dyin' ain't hard fer sich as ye and me, it's the livin' thet's hard.

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 03:39:21 PM »
The "Lawrence Welk" has another name but I can't remember it. If you have 4 rifle targets is goes like this: 1-2-2-3-3-3-4-4-4-4 .

Slim

Offline Gus Hall

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2005, 04:05:25 PM »
Then there's  the "Nebraska Sweep" (1-1-1-1-1) for us simple minded Corn Huskers!!

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2005, 04:11:09 PM »
Then there's  the "Nebraska Sweep" (1-1-1-1-1) for us simple minded Corn Huskers!!
;D ;D ;D ;D
Also known as a Dump target.  :D

Slim

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2005, 10:38:01 PM »
One problem is that other than the Nevada sweep they really aren't standard.  There's a couple of thread on the SASS wire about different sweeps.  You could search there and maybe get some ideas about what's what.

Best thing to do is if you're at a match and they tell you to sweep a certain way ask them to tell you the order.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Stump Water

• I ain't gonna worry about it.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2005, 10:41:57 PM »

Slim

Ahhh.... well... only one hand can cock and fire the pistol.  You can draw your weak-side pistol with your weak hand and transfer it to your strong hand but, again, you can only use one hand to cock and fire the pistol.   

Offline Coop Trawlaine

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2005, 11:42:25 AM »
I really appreciate all the help and useful information that y'all have put out there for me.

As far as shooting style boils down it is what is comfortable and works for the shooter.  I use to do a lot of paper target, practice shooting with big bore automatics.  And I use to alternate, shoot one clip with right hand and then the other clip left handed, so my weak hand is almost as good as my strong hand, now that doesn't mean that I am a crack shot.  Like I said in another thread I compete with me, by using goals.  My first goal is a total clean shoot and after only four matches I am only one stage from goal #1 and then I will work on time. 

As most of you already know, WOW what a difference between shooting Combat Commanders and a '58 Remy.  The one thing I like is my Remy's because I am use to handling the weight, I found the Ruger .38s just a mite to light.  Out on the range with gun in hand I have found that there are so many willing to be helpful that at times there is too much help..LOL   Like trying to change my style rather than letting me perfect it.  That is why I like these threads so much, I get all the help and suggestions in a way that I can digest and ponder while not interupting my focus on my shooting performance.

All that being said, y'all have given me a whole cartridge belt of stuff to consider.  Again thanks to one and all.
www.waltlange.com

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2005, 03:52:22 PM »
In a recent issue of The Cowboy Chronical, the "sweeps" were explained. But I cain't reccomember which issue. ???

Regardless, local nomenclature is often differnet from one area/club to another. Fer instance, one of my favorites is called a "Nebraska Sweep" by most Iowa clubs (Dump all rounds on one target) but it is called sumpthin else in Nebraska! ;)
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline Gus Hall

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2005, 03:59:36 PM »

Regardless, local nomenclature is often differnet from one area/club to another. Fer instance, one of my favorites is called a "Nebraska Sweep" by most Iowa clubs (Dump all rounds on one target) but it is called sumpthin else in Nebraska! ;)
[/quote]

Actually, we call it that too, clear out here in the Panhandle!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com