Author Topic: '66 Flatside  (Read 20330 times)

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: '66 Flatside
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2015, 10:17:37 PM »
On the bright side, if the demand for Copies of the early 19th century firearms for CAS shooting is falling then companies like Uberti should be looking for new projects. I know numbers will be small ;D
As far as demaned, i am told one of the bigest shipments to NZ of Uberti guns is waiting in customs. It includes my Steel frame :)
I also understand there are not enough 73 here to meet demand, hay there are only four and half million people here so we are not going to keep Uberti afloat.

Christmas eve here so no henry under the tree but it will be here by the end of Jan. Have a great holiday
/ Christmas and keep your powder dry🎄🎁 ;D
Buffalochip

Offline tommy4toes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2015, 03:34:39 PM »
The more I study it, the more expensive it becomes to make it correct. I may just have to be happy with a 66 carbine "flatsided" and converted for mag tube loading - there's one on GB for $900, and my labor is cheap.

Like Mike, I like having unique guns that I built.

T4t

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2015, 08:43:32 PM »
T4t,

My point.  We'd need to start with a Henry receiver, or it just wouldn't look right.  Needs the Henry "Hump," needs the Henry pattern double dovetail side plates.  Needs the flat loading ladle although, I could liv with a later "scoop" type ladle.  Then we start machine a barrel, adding a ledge for the mag tube inside the receiver, re-work carbine barrel bands, etc.  Actual cost would go through the roof, without adding the actual cost of labor.  Oh, and sending some parts out for outside machine work.  Then, when you got it all done, most folks couldn't recognize it for what it was beyond 2 feet.

When I finish building one of my customs, I really like it when folks at the loading table go "What's That??"  Makes the work worthwhile.
I hate to finish something up and have a "why bother."

Coffinmaker

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 12:58:00 PM »

Offline tommy4toes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2015, 09:16:07 PM »
Yep......I already have all of my dream guns, really. The recently completed 14994 transition is for me the pinnacle build as far as I'm concerned, and gets plenty of "What's that?"s. I am, however, itching for a project.

Maybe a scale .22 Gatling or a mountain howitzer I could pull behind the Jeep? Those lathe classes are putting all kinds of ideas in my head :)

T4t

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2015, 10:55:12 AM »
Ooooooooooh  :o  A Mountain Howitzer would be just TOO KOOL!!

When I still lived in Colorado, ran into a fella who built a full size Gatling.  He also offered castings for the receiver and numerous other parts.  It's also my understanding he fell afoul of the dreaded BATFE for some reason.  Messy divorce was also involved.  Haven't heard
anything about him or his Gatlings in some years.  I lusted after a Gatling just about forever.  Being able to afford to feed one was as
serious a consideration as the cost of building one.

Coffinmaker

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2015, 04:40:10 PM »
How is it that Howitzers, and Gatling guns, of any scale or caliber fit into this discussion?
I am still trying to people to understand the differences between the "Henry" transitional and the "66" variations of transitional, and the Briggs & Dodge alterations that fall somewhere in between the other two.
Let us stick to the topic!
My best,
 Blair   
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2015, 03:33:39 AM »
...the Briggs & Dodge alterations...

I am familiar with the Briggs, but the Dodge no.  ???  More info, please.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2015, 07:26:01 AM »
FCK,

http://jamesdjulia.com/item/3013-386/

It is not specifically identified as a Briggs & Dodge within the description.
The Briggs or Briggs & Dodge Pat. (according to Madis) comes about a couple of months after the King Pat. was already in production.

Sorry, that link does not seem to be working.
Tommy4toes posted photo in his post #12 on this thread.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 638
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2015, 10:34:39 AM »
Blair:

Is this what you were after?

http://jamesdjulia.com/item/3013-386/

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2015, 10:48:57 AM »
CCG,

Yes, thank you.

I made corrections to my miss-typing.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2015, 06:06:38 PM »
I know that one, it's just I referred to it as the Winchester Patent Carbine, or the 'Cuban contract' carbine.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2015, 07:06:13 PM »
In the beginning, there was only DARKNESS!!  Then ...... POP!!!  There was Blair.
Sorry Blair, T4t and I sort of went sideways after we figured out an accurate report flat-side would be cost prohibitive to build.

Some years back, there were ALL of the Transitional rifles on the Rare Winchesters pages.  There were in total, 7 known versions of the Henry while it was in transition to the final iteration of the '66.  At that time, the rifle with the sliding brass fore-end was lumped in as
a possible 8th Henry Transitional.
since that time, the number of rifles displayed has really gone down.  I don't know why, except perhaps, the owners wanted exclusivity.

Anyway, based on the most prominent design features, we could conclude the early and initial '66 Flat-Side, wasn't a '66 at all, but a natural progression of the Henry.  I submit, the gun was built on a Henry Receiver.  Flat loading Ladle added ala, the foregoing transitional, and the only major change from the original Henry, the barrel assembly.  It (the '66) didn't actually "become" the '66 until the second model when the double dovetail side plates went do do, the scoop ladle was introduced and the flange for the fore-end was added to the base casting.  Rendering the "Flat-Side" truly a "Henry Improved."  Although I don't consider the two part Barrel/Tube Mag an improvement.  Just a rust trap.

Coffinmaker

Offline tommy4toes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2015, 08:04:40 PM »
Apologies, Blair - I'll start a mountain howitzer project thread :-).

Project 66 flat side has fallen by the flat side ( wayside ) for the time being. Unless of course, somebody wants to donate a Henry, a 66 carbine barrel and mag tube. All my available funding just went to a Colt lightning pistol :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com