Author Topic: '66 Flatside  (Read 20294 times)

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
'66 Flatside
« on: January 26, 2014, 01:58:18 AM »
Some years back someone said there was a fella at End of Trail (when it was in CA) that was altering modern Uberti '66's to a very passable Type I '66 Flatside. Never heard hide nor hair more of this (and I damn sure looked and asked).

How hard would this be to do? The main issues IMO would be reprofiling the rear contours of the receiver and machining out the front flares. Then you have to braze two screw holes full and then drill two new ones. One of our astute members here with talent should do this as it would be a Helluva neat rig and coolness factor off the scale.

Offline Seth Hawkins

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: '66 Flatside
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 02:16:45 PM »
OK.  I'll bite.  What is a '66 Flatside? Pics would be nice if you have them, cuz we all know they are worth a thousand words ;)

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1211
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 03:02:03 PM »
OK.  I'll bite.  What is a '66 Flatside? Pics would be nice if you have them, cuz we all know they are worth a thousand words ;)

http://rarewinchesters.com/gunroom/1866/model_66.shtml

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:40:04 PM »

Offline Seth Hawkins

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 05:20:19 PM »
That's an unusual rear site.  I've never seen one like it.  Do they have a name for it?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 11:24:54 PM »
Seth, it's called "an unusual rear sight" ???  ;D
I don't know if it actually has a name but I would bet it's an "express" sight with that cute little heart shaped arpature.  IV actually seen them on new build '73 and '66 rifles.  Betcha VTI has em.
I think you'd wind up with a fairly weak receiver if a current manufacture '66 was milled down to a flat side.  Some loading gate problems as well.  Sometimes really neat looking custom guns disappear is 'cause they didn't workout.

Coffinmaker

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 12:39:39 AM »
...I think you'd wind up with a fairly weak receiver if a current manufacture '66 was milled down to a flat side.  Some loading gate problems as well...

The originals held up, of course with real BP. Why loading gate problems?  ???  It's just a flat piece of steel. Elaborate, Coffinmaker.

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 11:14:11 AM »
That "unusual" rear sight was standard on all 1866 carbines until around 1881 or serial range 155,XXX.  Same rear sight was also used on early 1873 carbines until around 1882 or serial range 90,XXX and all 1876 carbines until approximately 1877 or serial range 3,XXX.  This  rear sight on '76 carbines was the same, but just slightly larger in size.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 02:02:01 PM »
Buck,

Your are correct.
It was used on late Mod Henry as well as early Mod '66 type I, II and III Rifle and Carbine development and early '73 carbines (with some minor variations to the window design).
My best,
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 03:46:01 PM »
Loading gate standing proud of the side plate.  Or ..... I may not be understanding what one wants to do???

Coffinmaker

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 11:19:06 PM »
OK, with a few very competent gunsmith/machinists on this site who have made some spectacular Transition Henry rifles can we soon expect one to make an authentic 'flatside' '66 ?   ???

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 02:06:16 AM »
The will is there but finding guns at a reasonable cost to wor on is the difficult bit. I am still waiting for my steel frame from the dealer here.
 :'(
Buffalochip

Offline tommy4toes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 11:49:48 AM »
Fox - I am planning to do that of which you speak, and then take it a bit further - a mag tube loading Mexican contract '66 with brass forearm. I'm patiently seeking a donor round barrel and mag tube in 45.

T4t

Offline tommy4toes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 12:09:16 PM »
Pics

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 07:10:20 PM »
I will 'donate' a carbine, but I want it back after the work is done!!  ;D

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 10:31:51 PM »
To undertake both varations a Henry doner gun is needed. They cost a arm and leg here and broken ones, well found one in ten years.
Buffalochip

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2015, 01:04:33 AM »
I'm guessing that it would be easier to turn a Henry into a 'flatside' '66 than vice versa. The biggest problem would then be getting a 20" round barrel. I have no idea why Uberti makes 19" carbines.   ???  You'd have to have a barrel made. You could cut down a 24" mag tube for it. Or, make it a 24" 'flatside rifle', but that requires one of the early type forearms with the 'V' cut on the forend.

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2015, 02:34:45 AM »
Correct, new barrel. But that is the easy bit, finding the Henry is were i am at. Sold one which would have done the job.
I do have my side load Henry which i could pull the barrel on as it has a bulge half way down (not by me) but i like that gun and it was my first project.
Buffalochip

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2015, 07:55:36 PM »
The "Flat Side" revisited.  I guess it's all in the details.  I built some really interesting Henrys.  I know a couple of other guns that have built some really interesting Henrys.  I built a "Transition" Henry out of a '66 (that was a trick) but the details were wrong.  NO hump.  Side plates were wrong.  However, from 3 feet (fine from the freeway George) it looked really good.  Was a pain to build.

As I see the project, it has to be built from a Henry.  Near as I can tell, the original flat side guns were probably built from Henry castings.
You gotta get the hump.  Then you need a "flat" road gate.  Round Barrel from Uberti something.  Uberti Mag tube but you have to made a "ledge" for the mag tube to butt up against in the frame.  Probably the easiest way to get a barrel is to turn down a '66 or '73 barrel, since your going to have to cut the tenon anyway.  Fill and recut the sight dovetails.  Well, there is some more on the list, but it's already more trouble than I'd want to go to for a "one off."  Oh, and the fore end is going to be a mite thin. 

Nah.  Don't want to do this one.  Rather hit my thumb wid a hammer ............ ::)

Coffinmaker

Offline tommy4toes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2015, 10:10:23 AM »
Yep - cash, parts, and labor intensive either way you cut it. Still want to do it though.

T4t

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2015, 12:55:38 PM »
...Oh, and the fore end is going to be a mite thin...

Why? You would in the end be using what is technically a '66  barrel & mag tube. If you made a carbine you can buy a forearm.  ???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com