Elk Konnected Hand out at County Commissioners meeting on 4/25

Started by Ross, April 26, 2011, 07:00:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross

I asked at our West Elk School District Office about the study performed by Wichita State University and was told West Elk did not have a copy of their report.

I asked what happened and was told they had nothing to do with that study and that the people came here of their own volition.

I told them I suppose I would have to contact Wichita State University and I heard no objections.

So I did just that.

The Assistant to the Dean – Operations, WSU College of Education sent me the following e-mail. I did leave out names and e-mail address because I do not have consent to use them.

Beginning of e-mail:

We have tracked down the research project you mentioned in your email of 6/18/2013. The faculty in Educational Leadership participated in an efficiency study of USD 282 in fall of 2011. It was through the Center for Innovative School Leadership at Emporia State University. The director of the center and should be able to provide you with a copy of the report.

End of e-mail.

Did you catch all of that about EFFICIENCY STUDY?

How about all that major LEADERSHIP  stuff?

Isn't any of that of any interest to West Elk or the School Board?

Wouldn't it have been worth at least reading?

Aren't things really getting interesting?

I can hardly wait to get the report.

Diane Amberg

Another long one...be prepared.
Jar, you have it ,more or less.  Way back the "ambulance" was often a repurposed hearse owned and operated by the local funeral director.  Here, the earliest was run by UD with a horse and ambulance wagon.1833.
   I wouldn't expect you to know this, but in the 50's and 60's (and earlier), ambulance training for most areas was Red Cross First Aid. The docs that one saw in the ER were whoever happened to have that shift. There were no people with true "emergency " training as there are now. Remember,as time goes that is ancient history!
I started at Aetna in 1969. (I was asked to do it) I had an Advanced Red Cross First Aid card, as was required here to be a teacher, so I was ready to go after some fire house training on our equipment. That was what Aetna required.

Emergency Care, as we know it now, was started as a DOT course.There had been a  national challenge to do something about the serious number of accidents and fatalities on the road.The challenge also went to car manufacturers to begin to design and build safer cars. Child locks, safety windshield glass, standard factory installed seat belts came soon after. The door and window handles were redesigned to not protrude into the car. (Remember Ralph Nader? The "Nader bolt" came from that.) ( We used to see lots of ruptured spleens from those if the folks weren't belted.) The hospitals were asked to be involved also and started requiring medical schools to provide true trauma training. And where did those MD instructors come from? Viet Nam, of course. At the same time all the rest was happening, Medic and Corpman training started becoming much more advanced. They were starting to come home and nobody wanted all that talent to be wasted.  Hence ,paramedics started riding the ambulances. It was a wonderful bump up. The first EMS chopper pilots came from that too. It was a huge help. (Yes, I got to go back then.) All retired now.
At that time the Delaware State Fire School was one of the most advanced in the nation. It also was awarded a huge national grant to write a true Emergency Care text book, the first ever. (Grant and Murray). Prior to that the blocks of instruction were on mimeographed paper,stapled together to make a chapter. By the time the course ended....all 9 weeks of it, (1970)  ;D one had one's own textbook to keep. A recert. was started for every two years.
Now, Harvey Grant was a good friend, so some of us were recruited to help write and work on the new text...fondly called the "Yellow Book' for it's bright yellow cover. Al wrote the chapter on street drugs. I did a lot of proofing and editing and wrote most of the chapter on burns. It was professionally illustrated and published and became the first actual EC text, with several others published shortly there after by others. Today they are the size of a big telephone book and the course is about I80 hours, plus clinicals.   I was very honored to get to be a piece of all that.
I didn't "officially" start teaching part time for DSFS until 1974, as they had a five year fire service requirement, but if they needed me they would slip me in as a "guest lecturer' because of my public school teaching certificate, the only one among the many instructors at that time. The others were considered to be vocational technical instructors. I sat for the new  National Registry of EMT's Exam in 1974.( I wasn't in the charter group, but was close.) Really tough questions! An entire day of written and practicals...got an 84 and was glad to have it! A great many didn't pass the first time. It's a bit like taking proficiency boards. To this day students have sleepless nights worrying about taking it.  Like most things medical, the National Registry had to be recerted every two years. I taught part of that too. All of this has grown and changed tremendously over the years.
Just here in Newark's fire response district we have increased from less than 1,000 ambulance calls a year when I started to more that 8,000 a year now.  We used to run two ambulances ,now we run six.
Until I "retired'' a few years ago I had the oldest and longest standing National Registry certification in the state. Yes, I taught fire safety and industrial first responder also. (I taught hand held fire extinguishers too, with a fire pan to practice on. among others I taught the school cafeteria workers and we had a lot of fun since I was female and they were comfortable with me.
Yes, it has kept me busy all these years. That's why I'm slowly backing out now. Except for local firehouse stuff, I'll be done when I'm 70. Jar, I'm sure you can make more questions, but I'm about done in. Enough? Please?
Jar, I didn't mean to include you in with Ross for the same reason. If it seemed that way I do apologize. You do come off awfully rough sometimes though.

Ross

All that stuff about being unified Mr. Konnected School Board President, I'd like to ask you, is that one of your NGO's ideas for the school board?
You know the NGO, Elk Konnected?

It seems to me teachers in some parts of Kansas aren't even united in labor unions, and that is not a put down, because I am quite sure they have just cause. Here is one example:

From an e-mail I received, seems teachers can't even be unified does it?

And this sounds like a mighty small community. Enrollment head count this school year (2012-13) is 243 students.

Kansas School Expels State Teachers Union

By Travis Perry  /   June 21, 2013  /  Kansas Watchdog
OSAWATOMIE — The tiny Kansas school district of Deerfield made some big noise when local educators decided to boot out the state teachers union earlier this month.
Deerfield USD 216 became only the second school district in the state to shun the Kansas National Education Association, following a 2009 decision by educators at Riley County USD 378. Instead, in an 11-10 vote on June 10, Deerfield teachers opted for local representation with the assistance of the Kansas Association of American Educators.
KAAE is a non-union organization that provides liability insurance and legal counsel to educators, but does not inject itself into the negotiation process.
The Garden City Telegram reports:
After an initial vote held on May 14 that resulted in a tie of 13-13, a second mail-in vote was held, and 24 ballots were sent in, according to Joel McClure, a former Deerfield teacher who helped spearhead the effort. Of the 24 that were sent in, only 21 were accepted because three of the teachers had resigned, including McClure. Two other teachers abstained from voting, and one ballot didn't make it in time, McClure said.
With KNEA now banished from Deerfield halls, local educators are left with the atrophied Deerfield Teachers Association, of which only five of the district's 27 teachers are members. McClure said the decreasing interest in local representation was enough reason to fight against the statewide union.
"We started to think, 'Well, what if next year, it's four (members), what if it's three, what if it's two, what if it's one?" McClure told the Telegram. "That only leaves a very, very small amount of people to govern locally, and that's just no good for anybody. So, about the only way we could fix it was to go through this decertification process to try to change it, and luckily, we were very successful in that."
KNEA general counsel David Schauner was not available for comment Friday afternoon. But Pamela Torgerson, director of Southwest UniServ, the district headquarters for KNEA, told the Telegram that self-representation could backfire on educators if a contract dispute develops.
"My concern with that is that without any kind of organizational backing, it's going to be hard for the teachers there to enforce their negotiated agreement," Torgerson said. "So, if they get into trouble during bargaining, they have to go to mediation on their own, and if things work out even worse and they decide to go to fact-finding, they're pretty much on their own. They would have to pay for the fact finder to come out," a process she noted can be expensive.
But in the close-knit community of Deerfield, population 701, McClure said it's hard to fathom a case where educators and administrators would be unable to reach an agreement.
"There's no instance that I can think of in two decades where KNEA has had to come in to control an out-of-control administration and school board. I mean, it just doesn't happen," McClure told the Telegram. "The teachers are ready for this change, and they're ready to step up to the plate and do what needs to be done in governing the schools the way they think."

Please, feel free to "steal our stuff"! Just remember to credit Watchdog.org

Patriot

Quote from: flintauqua on June 19, 2013, 01:35:20 PM
Ross, just because someone does not live in Elk County, does not mean they don't pay taxes to Elk County.  Just because someone doesn't live in West Elk School District, does not mean they don't pay taxes to the district.

And just because someone owes taxes here but doesn't live here doesn't mean they pay them on time.  I pay mine when due, do you?

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Ross

Quote from: Patriot on June 22, 2013, 07:40:19 PM
And just because someone owes taxes here but doesn't live here doesn't mean they pay them on time.  I pay mine when due, do you?

I do, I would not like to pay penalties or be  embarrassed seeing my name in the newspaper as unable to meet my obligations.

jacksonpollochjr

And just because someone owes taxes here but doesn't live here doesn't mean they pay them on time.  I pay mine when due, do you?

Patriot, good to see you posting. I checked Kansas tax records and flintaqua (Charles) is not delinquent.

frawin

Charlie, knowing your Mom and Dad and your family background, I know you pay your taxes on time. I pay taxes in Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, New Mexico and Texas and I pay them on time, actually a little head of time.

Ross

I received this in snail mail yesterday Jun 22 2013, it was post marked 21 Jun 2013.
Only took one day for delivery, nice huh! The post office still works.

Anyway, I thought I'd share it with any one that might be interested,
Color Emphases is my own.

West Elk USD #282
SPECIAL BOARD MEETING AGENDA
PUBLIC HEARING TO APPROVE REPUBLISHED GENERAL FUND BIDGET
SUNDAY, JUNE 30, 2013
WEST ELK DISTRICT OFFICE

Budget Hearing -         7:30 p.m.

Call to Order-              7:35 p.m.

I.        Roll Call

II.        Adoption of Agenda

III.        Action Items

A       Approval of Republished General Fund Budget

IV.              Adjournment

Next Regular Board Meeting, Monday, July 8, 2013 @ 6:30 p.m.

srkruzich

Diane said ---------

What is wrong with all them heathens , why don't they co-operate and unify, become one church Unified in God. Give up all their one beliefs  and co-operate, durn fools.

Am I stirring the pot or am I just doing the same as these religious folks? What is wrong with the religious folks don't they want to co-operate?
Don't they want unity?   Don't they want to be unified?

--------------------___

The answer to this Diane is this.

It would be against Christ to unify and comply!  After all to comply with the world aka secular rules would be to go agaisnt what God says.

Mat 10:32    ¶    Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 10:33         But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 10:34    ¶    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
Mat 10:35         For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Ross

Quote from: srkruzich on June 23, 2013, 02:45:07 PM
Diane said ---------

What is wrong with all them heathens , why don't they co-operate and unify, become one church Unified in God. Give up all their one beliefs  and co-operate, durn fools.

Am I stirring the pot or am I just doing the same as these religious folks? What is wrong with the religious folks don't they want to co-operate?
Don't they want unity?   Don't they want to be unified?

--------------------___

The answer to this Diane is this.

It would be against Christ to unify and comply!  After all to comply with the world aka secular rules would be to go agaisnt what God says.

Mat 10:32    ¶    Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 10:33         But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 10:34    ¶    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
Mat 10:35         For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

Steve I 'm sorry to tell you but you are barking up the wrong tree.
That was me saying that:
Quote from: ROSS on June 21, 2013, 10:51:54 AM
\Obama is now insisting on enforcing an Obamacare regulation that would force Catholic individuals, business owners and institutions to provide health care plans that cover sterilizations, contraceptives and abortion-inducing drugs. The Catholic bishops of the United States have unanimously declared this regulation an "unjust and illegal mandate" that violates the constitutionally guaranteed right to free exercise of religion.

Dozens of Catholic business owners and institutions are now suing the Obama administration over this regulation. The University of Notre Dame and Catholic University of America are among those who have filed suit. A number of Protestant business owners and institutions have also sued the administration over this regulation because it forces them to provide abortion-inducing drugs and IUDs in contradiction to their moral and religious beliefs. (End Of Article)

It was in reference to the West Elk School Board calling for unity among board members. It just ain't suppose to work that way. That is why there are so many of them. A check and balance of sorts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk