Elk Konnected Hand out at County Commissioners meeting on 4/25

Started by Ross, April 26, 2011, 07:00:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the shadow

Ross=I have been doing some reading and found one problem with your recent posts about the money in question for the Elk County Summer Day Camps. You stated that the camp is 2 hours a day, 5 days a week. I thought I had read somewhere that these "camps" were 3 hours a day, 3 days a week. I searched and searched for the story that I had read but can't find it anywhere; does anyone have a link to it so that I can be sure how long the camps are held? Anyway, if it is in deed 3 hours a day, 3 days a week, they are spending a considerable amount more! Three days a week for 6 weeks is 18 days. The grant is for $13,800 for 18 days? That is a little ridiculous! Do they use that entire amount EVERY year? One would think that they would have some money left over to use for the next years' day camps! Do they not? Has anyone checked?

the shadow                                           KNOWS!
The Shadow knows!

Diane Amberg

Steve, I'm not sure. If that included arts and crafts supplies for "make and take" projects and things for music, games and sports, maybe not. Are snacks or swimming pool fees involved?  Bus rental for a trip? Are the teen counselors paid from that?
Here we have commercial sponsors that help with Safety Town. McDonalds provides free juice and snack cookies every day. I provide free fire safety coloring books, activity books, little fold and put together cardboard fire trucks, fire hats and sticker badges, and pencils . The Newark Police provide similar things, plus a trip to the Police Station. Other sponsors provide other things.
If the Elk folks have to buy it all from their funds, it could add up, depending on the number of kids total, how long the day is and how many days each camp is.

mayflower

Day camp is 3 days a week for 4 hours a day. It takes place in Moline, Howard, Longton, Severy, and Grenola.  Also the money can be used for more than one year.  It goes for the teens salaries and supplies.

Ross

Quote from: the shadow on June 29, 2011, 02:37:05 PM
Ross=I have been doing some reading and found one problem with your recent posts about the money in question for the Elk County Summer Day Camps. You stated that the camp is 2 hours a day, 5 days a week. I thought I had read somewhere that these "camps" were 3 hours a day, 3 days a week. I searched and searched for the story that I had read but can't find it anywhere; does anyone have a link to it so that I can be sure how long the camps are held? Anyway, if it is in deed 3 hours a day, 3 days a week, they are spending a considerable amount more! Three days a week for 6 weeks is 18 days. The grant is for $13,800 for 18 days? That is a little ridiculous! Do they use that entire amount EVERY year? One would think that they would have some money left over to use for the next years' day camps! Do they not? Has anyone checked?

the shadow                                           KNOWS!
I have been known to be wrong.
But either way it just plain looks like a waste of money to me.
The kids could go to each others homes and play and have more fun (IMHO).
But then there wouldn't be any headlines, would there?

the shadow

Quote from: mayflower on June 29, 2011, 03:27:06 PM
Day camp is 3 days a week for 4 hours a day. It takes place in Moline, Howard, Longton, Severy, and Grenola.  Also the money can be used for more than one year.  It goes for the teens salaries and supplies.

Can be used for more than one year, but is it, that is the question. There should be quite a surplus after paying minimum wage to a few teenagers for what, 72 hours; buying a few "supplies"; and having "camp" for 72 hours, in my opinion. I would think one grant could fund at least 2 years of camps, easily. No meals are fed, I assume, just snacks? So these kids aren't eating lobster, right? Those "supplies" must be awful expensive. Maybe Elk Konnected, LLC should shop around for better deals to use the County's grant money a little more wisely.

the shadow                                    KNOWS!
The Shadow knows!

srkruzich

Quote from: the shadow on June 29, 2011, 03:41:16 PM
Can be used for more than one year, but is it, that is the question. There should be quite a surplus after paying minimum wage to a few teenagers for what, 72 hours; buying a few "supplies"; and having "camp" for 72 hours, in my opinion. I would think one grant could fund at least 2 years of camps, easily. No meals are fed, I assume, just snacks? So these kids aren't eating lobster, right? Those "supplies" must be awful expensive. Maybe Elk Konnected, LLC should shop around for better deals to use the County's grant money a little more wisely.

the shadow                                    KNOWS!

But then you wouldn't be buying elk county supplies.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Ross

Quote from: mayflower on June 29, 2011, 03:27:06 PM
That would appear to change things by 12 hours over the sum of the whole day camp.  Not much difference.
The hula hoops and water pistiols looked like dollar store stuff. Can't cost much can it?

So who is keeping the books on all this $13,800, Elk County recieved as a grant?

mayflower

I did forget the snacks. The grant pays for them too when needed.  The grant can be used for as long as it lasts. Also, when I volunteered for helping with day camp, they were having a blast. 

the shadow

Mr. srkruzich=Any "business" owner knows that you don't just shop locally and expect to get good deals. Now, I believe that if the shopping was done locally, good deals were made that benefitted both EKLLC and the store of choice. My point is though, that with over $13,000, there should be a large surplus each year, even if they do shop at Batson's.

Quote from: Ross on June 29, 2011, 03:49:09 PM
So who is keeping the books on all this $13,800, Elk County recieved as a grant?
Yes, please do tell, who is keeping the books? I do hope it is someone with a degree in accounting and not just some flunkie skimming money wherever they feel like it!

the shadow                                            KNOWS!
The Shadow knows!

Diane Amberg

Woo! Are you suspicious or what? I just checked our camp fees. There is a small discount for in city residents who pay city taxes. Safety Town is $122.00 for 10 days, 9:00 to 12:00, or the afternoon session from 1:00 to 4:00. No more than 45 kids per session. Tot lot for the really little kids is $112.00 for four days, three hours each.The regular big day camp is $122.00 for 5 days, 8:30-3:3.0 This is the typical camp with swimming ,arts ,crafts, music, sports etc.  Then there are a bunch of specialty camps for soccer ,art ,drama, etc at similar rates. We've got 33 parks inside the city limits encompassing 450 acres. A few of the camps are held just outside town at Iron Hill museum. It has local Indian culture, mineral, fossil and animal displays. You can figure out if these are comparable to yours if you wish.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk