You Know You're In Kansas When..........

Started by genealogynut, March 31, 2007, 12:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

genealogynut

Traffic congestion is ten cars waiting to pass a combine on the highway.

A shotgun is your idea of instant messaging.

The radio buttons on a new car are all preset to country.

You've had classes canceled for heat and snow in the same month.

No one would dream of putting vinyl upholstery in a car or not having air conditioning.

You have seen people wear  bib overalls to funeral and weddings.

Hot water now comes out of both taps.

Going on vacation means going to Hutch to the fair, Abilene to Ike's house or Boot Hill to see Miss Kitty.

Your excuse for being late is the cows got out, and the boss accepts it MANY times.

Your main drag in town is two blocks long.

You've been hit by enough tornadoes to know there is no such thing as Oz.

You learned how to shoot a gun before you learned how to multiply.

You learn that a seat belt makes a pretty good branding iron.

You have to travel over 20 miles just to go to the nearest mall.

The potatoes cook underground, and all you have to do to have lunch is to pull one out  and add butter, salt and pepper.

You are not surprised to find movie rentals, ammunition and bait all in the same store.

You had at least one summer job that was bucking bails or custom cutting.

You really do think Sunflowers are beautiful.

You went to skating parties as a kid.

Your earliest driving lessons were in a field while picking up hay.

You wave to all the oncoming traffic.

You know that cow pies aren't made of beef.

There's a tornado warning and the whole town is outside looking for it.

Those strange lights you see at night is a farmer working late in the field---not a UFO.

You don't buy all your vegetables at the grocery store.

Using the elevator involves a corn truck.

The number of the Co-Op is on  speed dial.

You can make instant sun tea.

You break a sweat the instant you step outside at 7:30 a.m. before work.

genealogynut

In April, you can have a beautiful spring day, and the next day can bring a snow storm.

Janet Harrington

April 5, 2007.  The very start of the snow on this April day.

Janet Harrington

And now, 2 hours later, from the start of the snow.

Janet Harrington

And again, snow on April 2, 2007, from Wilma's yard.

Wilma

What month is it, again?  There is about 4 inches of snow on my porch rail.

emptynest

The younger students at the grade school today had their first ever Easter egg hunt in the snow-----it was most unusual sight I have ever seen in all my years with kids!  Some of the eggs actually were under the snow as it was snowing so hard and fast since the upper grade students hid them.  And those flakes were huge!  To think earlier this week, they were wearing flip flops, shorts and sleeveless shirts.  Simply amazing!  I sure hope my blooming wisteria will be ok......I have had this particular wisteria for 5 years and never once had it offered to bloom....and now it is covered with snow. 

Janet Harrington

Emptynest,

Did anyone get pictures of the Easter egg hunt?  We heard the bus drivers talking about it on the scanner.  Sure would be fun to see any pictures!!!!

indygal

Hi everyone! Hope you all are staying warm and dry. Talk about crazy weather, eh? Where we live in Wichita, we got less than an inch (though I guess that could change through the overnight hours), but we heard on the evening news that the heaviest band of snow crossed right over the top of Howard. So how much snow did you folks end up getting? We're planning a trip over tomorrow evening and we're hoping the roads are OK.

I really enjoyed the photos, Janet. Even though the snow is kind of a mess and not good for the spring flowers, it really is very pretty.

Wilma

An Easter egg hunt in the snow.  That would be a picture worthy of sending to the news channels.  Hope someone took some.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk