Postage Increase

Started by T. Sackett, February 13, 2008, 04:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T. Sackett

For those of you who do not know, the cost of a stamp is increasing one cent to 42 cents on May 12, 2008.

http://www.usps.com/communications/newsroom/2008/pr08_011a.htm
Honorary Member of the Old Man's 4-H Club: Hernia, Hiccups, Hemorrhoids, and Heartburn!

Mom70x7

So this will be one of the good times to use your current stamps and then buy the "forever" stamp.
With the "forevers" you'll save a penny on every letter you mail after the increase.  :D

W. Gray

The post office has sold 5 billion Forever stamps since they were introduced last April and plans to have an additional 5 billion in stock to meet demand before the May price change.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Diane Amberg

The only problem I have with the "forever" stamps is that they don't come in rolls, just sheets.

W. Gray

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Diane Amberg

I am! :D I'm spoiled, I like rolls!

W. Gray

Actually, I see your point.

I switched to a roll dispenser several years ago and I hated it when I had to buy 1 or 2 cent stamps in minimum sheets and then having them lying around.

I have a little box that is filled with odds and end stamps left over from years ago, 2 cent, 18 cent, 20 cent, 25, 29, 34, 39. From time to time I will go through it to see if I can put some combination together to mail a letter, but I hate to put two 25s or 29s together just to get rid of them.

I have one stamp that says, "This U.S. stamp, along with 25 cents of additional U.S. postage, is equivalent to the "F" stamp rate." I would have to look it up to see what the value is.

W. Gray

Over the last twenty years, postage cost has approximately doubled.

Over the past 28 years postage has quadrupled.

Since most of old the old timers, like myself, came into existence, postage has increased fourteen fold from three cents to forty two.

History of First-Class Stamp Rates

July 1, 1885                           .02    

Nov. 2, 1917                         .03

July 1, 1919                           .02   

July 6, 1932                           .03    

August 1, 1958                        .04    

January  7, 1963                .05    

January  7, 1968                .06    

May 16, 1971                        .08    

March 2, 1974                        .10    

December 31, 1975             .13    

May 29, 1978                        .15

March 22, 1981                       .18 

November 1, 1981             .20    

February 17, 1985              .22    

April 3, 1988                         .25   

February 3, 1991              .29    

January 1, 1995                   .32    

January 10, 1999              .33    

January 7, 2001              .34    

June 30, 2002                     .37    

January 8, 2006             .39    

May 14, 2007                     .41    

May 2008                          .42

Jane

The bad thing about the stamp increase is that the service does not get any better or if you go to the post office they do not hurry to wait on you. I  guess the computer age has taken them out of the personal letter writing. They do still deliver in rain, snow,sleet or sun not sure if they are getting it were it belongs. About 2 times a week we receive mail that is not ours.
Army Mom

W. Gray

It looks as though the postal service may now, under a recent law, increase postage costs at their leisure, provided the hike does not exceed the inflation index.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk