Sheriff Election

Started by Mcordell, March 27, 2016, 02:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bullwinkle

Would you care to share what major changes you believe need accomplished in our sheriff department?

Mcordell

There is not much that doesn't need to be changed within the agency.  Having spoken with both citizens around the county as well as law enforcement from neighboring agencies (of which I am one) it has become quite apparent to me that this agency lacks professionalism to a degree that affects every aspect of their daily business.  Citizens have told me that no matter how many times they call, they cannot get the sitting sheriff to return their calls.  Other citizens have walked in and been able to speak with Hanks, only to be treated very poorly and been the subject of profanity laced tirades.  This type of behavior, especially from an elected official, is entirely unacceptable.  It would be easy to dismiss these instances as exaggerations, except for the fact I have heard of these instances from multiple people in different situations.  I myself tried to get a hold of Hanks about 4 years ago and he refused to return my calls.  I finally stopped at the Sheriff's Office and requested to speak with him using the call box inside the lobby.  I could hear him from the other side of the door saying "tell him I'm not here". 

I believe the sheriff should be available to the general public.  I understand how busy law enforcement can be and I couldn't promise any time someone called or walked in the lobby that I would be immediately available as Sheriff, however I can promise I would return phone calls as well as schedule times to meet with people who wished to discuss issues with me in person.  That is the foundation of being an elected official.

This agency has had more turnover in the last few years than most agencies have in twice that amount of time.  The lack of leadership and willingness to throw others under the bus has been an underlying theme in the grievances of many of those who left.  I have spoken with deputies that left and each one of them has been supportive of my campaign.  None of them have left feeling as though this agency is operating properly or effectively.  There are issues I have discussed with outgoing deputies and others that have worked under Hanks that would not be appropriate to discuss publicly until those issues could be addressed from an administrative perspective so I will not delve into those issues.

One of the former deputies was writing bad checks to both individuals and businesses around the county for quite some time.  I know for a fact that Sheriff Hanks was made aware of this behavior, which is a misdemeanor crime, and he did nothing.  The deputy in question was allowed to continue the behavior and when Hanks was informed about the offenses he simply made the deputy go in and pay the checks.  This type of behavior goes against everything law enforcement stands for and the deputy should have been terminated and prosecuted, however he eventually resigned of his own free will to pursue another job driving trucks.  This of course will cause issues any time one of his cases is brought to court.  This is known as "giglio" in which the defense is allowed to bring up criminal behavior of any witness in order to bring into question their credibility.  I think if you speak with anyone that served on the recent jury you will find that was the case.  I have been personally approached by numerous people who were involved in that jury trial who, until that time, had no idea how ineffective this organization truly is.

You will also find in speaking with those people that the quality of the reports turned in by the deputies, namely the narratives and affidavits, is most definitely sub par.  Participants in that jury trial have repeatedly told me that they were surprised by the poor quality of the investigation conducted by the Sheriff's Office.  This could also be evidenced by filing an open public records request for copies of the narratives from any of the reports done by the sheriff's office. 

All of this information is readily accessible by speaking with anyone involved in the recent case and I'm sure by speaking with anyone involved in prior trials.

There are also numerous other changes within the agency that need to take place to allow them to more effectively do their job.  I would love to discuss these changes, however I also would hesitate to lay out my entire plan for the department while campaigning for the position that would allow me to actually make those changes.  I hope you understand the detriment that could potentially do.  This is of course just an overview of what needs to be done and it will be a long process to rebuild this department into a professional organization we as citizens can be proud of.  I hope to have your support at the polls to allow me to make the changes I see as necessary.

redcliffsw

Since it appears that there must be some sort of "continuing education" for Sheriffs, is there some government requirement of education for candidates for Sherriff?  In other words, nowadays do the candidates for Sheriff have to be government approved?

Janet Harrington

redcliffsw,

Here is the Kansas State Statute for qualifications for office of sheriffsheriff

19-801b. Qualifications for office; attendance at law enforcement center required; exception; status and salary while in attendance. (a) No person shall be eligible for nomination, election or appointment to the office of sheriff unless such person:

(1) Is a citizen of the United States and a qualified elector of the county;

(2) possesses a high-school education or its recognized equivalent; and

(3) has never been convicted of or pleaded guilty or entered a plea of nolo contendere to any felony charge, a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence as defined in K.S.A. 74-5602, and amendments thereto, or to any violation of any federal or state laws or city ordinances relating to gambling, liquor or narcotics.

(b) Every person elected to the office of sheriff for the first time, or anyone reelected or appointed to the office after having been out of the office for five years or more shall be required to attend the law enforcement training center as established by K.S.A. 74-5601 et seq., and amendments thereto, and satisfactorily complete the required training course of not less than 320 hours, unless such person has satisfactorily completed such training course within the five years prior to election or appointment, passes a written competency test and firearms proficiency qualification course developed and administered by the Kansas law enforcement training center or unless the commission, as defined in subsection (b) of K.S.A. 74-5602, and amendments thereto, waives the requirements of this subsection as provided in K.S.A. 74-5608a, and amendments thereto. Unless the requirements are waived, any person elected or appointed to the office of sheriff who has not attended the law enforcement training center shall hold office on a provisional basis, and such person shall attend the next scheduled training program at the law enforcement training center and satisfactorily complete such training program or the one subsequent to it, or shall forfeit such office.

(c) Each newly elected sheriff of each county who is required to attend the law enforcement training center shall be hired as a deputy sheriff and shall be paid a salary as deputy sheriff while attending the law enforcement training center. The tuition, board, room and travel expense for the sheriff-elect at the law enforcement training center shall be paid by the county.

History: L. 1972, ch. 75, § 2; L. 1974, ch. 114, § 1; L. 1975, ch. 157, § 1; L. 1977, ch. 89, § 1; L. 1982, ch. 322, § 1; L. 1983, ch. 93, § 1; L. 1995, ch. 180, § 5; L. 1997, ch. 168, § 1; L. 2012, ch. 89, § 11; July 1.

I am pretty sure this will answer your question. I'm not sure what you are meaning by "government approved", but as long as you have the above qualifications, you can run for the office of Sheriff.  Mike Cordell has all the requirements.

All newly elected sheriffs in Kansas are required to attend a Sheriff's training that is held at the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center usually the last part of November or the first part of December after the general election. Hanks was required to go to this after he won the election against me in 2004.  I was required to attend this when I won my first election in 1989.  In the later elections that I ran in and won, the state statute did not require me to attend sheriff's training again.

Does that explain what you were asking?

redcliffsw

Yes ma'am, that about covers it.

Who owns the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center?

Thank you.

CCSD

As a retired military person, I have served many years and find the wearing of the flag a sign of honor and patriotism. The extra cost of showing the pride in ones country is minimal. We are all protected by the constitution of not only the United states but also the constitution of Kansas. Is our country perfect? No, but I have seen countries all over the world and we are so very fortunate to live where we do. Where else can your kids hold hands after a ball game with the opposing team and say a prayer. We are Kansans and very proud of those that served and given their lives for our freedoms and would think twice about removing the flags off the uniforms and vehicles as we are proud of our heritage. We my not be politically correct all the time, but you will find none prouder of who we are. And by the way, when you are in the political eye of others, you wont please everyone.

CCSD

You speak of a lack of professionalism. Would you please explain why you are no longer a Police officer in Andover? I know why.  Lack of Leadership, I knew many of the officers that worked there personally and know of none that were so called "thrown under the bus" and actually there has been only three  personal changes in the past two years.  One thing the Deputies all know is Sheriff Hanks will be there for them if they need him, no matter what time, day or night.  None of them ever mentioned your name and only wanted to move forward with their lives in a different direction. The only one I know that may have said that was the over educated idiot who just left there. He was on the drug check lane and a Deputy from another county asked that they get him off the site because he was an idiot.
Yes there was a Deputy that had problems with finances. His name is Rob, not Giglio. There is a procedure through district court that takes care of these issues. He no longer works in Law Enforcement and no he is not a truck driver now. What I do know is that he lost a child in 2011 to cancer and his marriage ended after that. I would not want to be in his shoes. I hope things in his life improve.  Maybe it's Doug's compassion for people  that was the problem. I have worked for many true leaders through the years and compassion is a positive trait when dealing with the lives of people. 
Now we should speak of Reports and Affidavits. They are in fact protected under KSA 22-2302 which states "2)   Affidavits or sworn testimony in support of the probable cause requirement of this section shall not be made available for examination without a written order of the court, except that such affidavits or testimony when requested shall be made available to the defendant or the defendant's counsel for such disposition as either may desire."    You say that the reports are so poorly written. So can you explain why the suspect was convicted on all seven counts?  Not everyone is an English major and a Law Enforcement Officer must get the Who, What, Where, When in the report.  Evidently they had that in their reports to get the convection. If you have seen these Affidavits, then I must ask you How are you getting unauthorized access to these reports or is your wife showing you these reports. This would in its self illegal and a direct violation of KSA 22-2302.  You also say that you have 16 years of experience in Law enforcement. Does this include your 3 years with Dish Network? Nothing wrong with having a job and I give you that. It does seem that you have had some turn over in your life as well.
You state that a poor relationship with surrounding counties. I know for a fact that they train with Chautauqua, Montgomery and Greenwood Counties and Neodesha PD  on Narcotics, armed suspects in buildings, and many other scenarios. Some Officers from surrounding counties hold credentials so when things happens in Elk County, they can respond across county lines and still have jurisdiction. Several of the Elk County Deputies have the same credentials for other counties.  Elk County Deputies help in drug lanes in other counties as well as these deputies helping in Elk county
I have known Sheriff Hanks for years and I also know many of the Deputies in Elk County and will say that he seems to have put a great team together that really care about Elk County and their neighbors, friends and family's they serve. Sheriff Hanks has made some great changes in their department and I know it is because he truly cares about the people of Elk County. I love the Face Book page and all the information it gets out to our community. He has new deputies and new ideas and from where I see it is Sheriff hanks has embraced the change and is looking forward to Elk County's future.

Wilma

CCSD:  If you are going to endorse a political candidate, don't you think that you should identify yourself?  How can we believe something if we don't know who is saying it?

Facebook is fine for those who have it, but for us oldsters who are not really computer literate, it is just another unneeded complication in our lives.  What do we need with Facebook when we have the Forum?

redcliffsw

Quote from: CCSD on April 03, 2016, 08:33:56 PM
As a retired military person, I have served many years and find the wearing of the flag a sign of honor and patriotism. The extra cost of showing the pride in ones country is minimal. We are all protected by the constitution of not only the United states but also the constitution of Kansas. Is our country perfect? No, but I have seen countries all over the world and we are so very fortunate to live where we do. Where else can your kids hold hands after a ball game with the opposing team and say a prayer. We are Kansans and very proud of those that served and given their lives for our freedoms and would think twice about removing the flags off the uniforms and vehicles as we are proud of our heritage. We my not be politically correct all the time, but you will find none prouder of who we are. And by the way, when you are in the political eye of others, you wont please everyone.

THe Sheriff's dept is not Federal.  And it shouldn't be accepting Federal money. 

The U S flag is of the central government and also it's the flag of the U S veterans. 

I'm thinking that we ought to be respecting the U S Constitution, not some 'flag code' that was invented in the 1920's and not the invented Federal social payments and programs that go along with it. 

Liberty is better than tyranny.

Wilma

You are right, the sheriff's department is not federal.  It is county and it's first allegiance should be to the citizen's of the county.

What is this about accepting federal money?  This is the first that I have heard that our sheriff's department is doing so.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk