Accident on Highway 99

Started by Mom70x7, March 17, 2011, 03:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mom70x7

Just got a call that Highway 99 south of Howard is closed until tomorrow afternoon due to an accident.

Anyone have any details? We don't have a scanner.

evanstrail

Nothing on KDOT or Highway Patrol websites.

kshillbillys

A big shiny red semi with a flatbed trailer hauling an oversize load is turned over in the ditch with all 18 wheels in the air
ROBERT AND JENNIFER WALKER

YOU CALL US HILLBILLYS LIKE THAT'S A BAD THING! WE ARE SO FLATTERED!

THAT'S MS. HILLBILLY TO YOU!

evanstrail

It never fails to amaze me.  KDOT doesn't want oversize loads going through places like Winfield, Ark City, Independence, etc, so they route them down K-99, and then seem surprised when things like this happen. 

How much critical time does this add to an ambulance run?  What if there was a large fire and the trucks needed to get from one town to the other as fast as possible?  If it is actually closed till tomorrow, what about the school buses?  Not to mention all the extra flat tires Lanning and Merle's will be patching because of the ordinary traveler being forced onto the county gravel roads.

It's way past time for my former neighbors to rise up and demand KDOT do something about the highway from Howard to US 166 or close it to oversize loads. (or all non-local semi travel for that matter)

mtcookson

From what I've heard from one of my brothers, it was actually hauling one of the wind generator shafts. Not sure if its one for the wind farm we're getting or not, though.

evanstrail

I thought the wind generator parts were supposed to come in to Howard from the north?

srkruzich

Quote from: evanstrail on March 17, 2011, 07:28:08 PM
Lanning and Merle's will be patching because of the ordinary traveler being forced onto the county gravel roads.

ROTFLMBO  Lanning aint going to fix any flats past what he has planned on fixing that day.  Been there many a time when he didn't feel like it and said no.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

mtcookson

Quote from: evanstrail on March 17, 2011, 07:39:55 PM
I thought the wind generator parts were supposed to come in to Howard from the north?

The way rumors spread around here its hard to say honestly. :laugh:

Wilma

This one wasn't necessarily for our wind project.  There have been parts of the towers transported on 99 before.

bowie boy

would it really take 2 days t opickup a wind tower, and having the road blocked off completly, there is a sign at severy sayin the road is closed, itsbeen kept on the hush hush, seeing as nobody in this small town even knows, at to top it all of the number of cars goin past my house is driving me crazy, tho it is funny watching the ones who over shoot the turn to do south
''If guns kill people, I can blame misspelled words on my pencil'' - Larry The Cable Guy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk