first day of school

Started by heather_tyler_2014, July 20, 2008, 12:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

L Hendricks

Another reason people text is because it is private - no one can "listen" in on your conversation.  I do some texting mainly because it is how you communicate with teenagers.  I would prefer to pickup the phone and call them and for me that is quicker... but most of the teens will answer you right back with a text and it may takes days for them to call you.  If I don't understand one of the abbreviations, I just show them how stupid I am and ask...

dnalexander

L Hendricks you\I  are on the same page. In fact I prefer e-mail over any kind of communication except talking in person. Showing my age I also like to feel "hip" when I can communicate with the kids in their own language and preferred form of communication.

David

heather_tyler_2014

yah it's really funny i do spell thing's out when i text i really don't text. AT ALL . i mean thier is a big sterio type, teens text all the time yadha yadha yadha, i think 2 or 3 or so of my family have phone's and 1 I know text's me and she and my mom my family are really only people i text. it's not like i text Jill all the time.lol so yah i do occasionaly mistype or not spell out word's like wat or something i mean if that make's a difference if i see myself do it for now on I WONT DO IT if that make's people happy, and im not going to stop on this forum i love this place (i love the howard elk county forum, all my friends are in it :).) im serious to this is my internet family   ;D
Sword with a double edged blade...it'll cut you either way.

heather_tyler_2014

Quote from: Wilma on August 17, 2008, 09:49:30 PM
How in the world do you get "that" from "7h47"?  Wouldn't it be easier to simply type "that"?  And why go to the trouble of "cR4zy" when "crazy" is easier to type?  If they can learn a language like that, then why not learn French or Spanish or any of the other foreign languages that might benefit them in the future?  You might include English with that.

hey im 12 and i dont even know i dont know anybody that text's me like that

Diane Amberg

Personally, when kids are still learning grammar, spelling and punctuation rules, I like to see it practiced correctly, so the "right" way becomes stuck in your mind. Once it becomes a good habit, then you can play with spelling and language to make a point.
   Simple plural words do not need apostrophes.  I never know why that is such a common error. Usually the most common use for the '  is to substitute for a missing letter....don't...or to show possession.... the cat's tail.  Common plurals don't need it....  things, texts, words, makes, phones,  but "I'm" is sure correct.
  Spelling is another subject. You are always important,... give i the capital treatment, I , always.  Their, there and they're can be hard ones to get right also. Heather, here's a big hug for the school year.....  ~  squeeze ~  Go West Elk! Be sure and tell us about your first day.

Catwoman

Heather, you've got to be patient with us curmudgeons...it can be hard to remember what being young was like, after a certain point.  Then, there's those of us who never grew up, much to the disgust of everyone around us! (hehehehehehe)  I know I speak for a good many people on here who consider you a member of ths family, too...and a smart, funny, mature member, at that.  For only being 12, you certainly express yourself well...must be your momma's training coming through!  She's always been so fun! :-) Keep us 'posted' on how your beginning of your school year is going! ;-)

Joanna

Just some info...
Independence Community College is holding some classes here in Howard at the High School.  The only one I'm familiar with is the Welding class which will be Wednesday nights at 6:30.  My nephew is signed up for that one.  They get college credit and get half off the tuition!  It's a great deal, and I think adults can do it too... however the first class is tomorrow night.

I believe that some of the other classes offered here in Howard are college English and Algebra (or maybe Calculus).  I'm happy that the school system is offering these~!  If you have any questions, Michelle Weber at the High School is coordinating the classes.

heather_tyler_2014

well if i get to get on here tomarrow being as I have practice til 6:15 and prob wont get off the bus til' 6:3o so i'll try im sure it'll be good all my friend's and whatnot

aamiller321

Quote from: heather_tyler_2014 on August 19, 2008, 08:56:41 AM
Quote from: Wilma on August 17, 2008, 09:49:30 PM
How in the world do you get "that" from "7h47"?  Wouldn't it be easier to simply type "that"?  And why go to the trouble of "cR4zy" when "crazy" is easier to type?  If they can learn a language like that, then why not learn French or Spanish or any of the other foreign languages that might benefit them in the future?  You might include English with that.

hey im 12 and i dont even know i dont know anybody that text's me like that
Ok then here's a crash course in cursory,

7=T (they look a little alike)
4=A (just add a line to the other side of the four)
0=O (I don't get why you can't just type "O")
5=S

So far that all I can think of.
The day that you don't enjoy running around like a kid is the day you begin to die.

Diane Amberg

Heather, it sounds like you'll have a lot of fun. Wait until the weekend if you want, to tell us about it. That's OK too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk