Gardening

Started by Growit1, February 12, 2013, 03:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

I am past ready. As hot as it was last year I didn't get my gardening fever out of my system. Never going to either.
If all I can do is container garden then that will be great.

I noticed this week, some of my tulips are coming up. (FYI-Joanna, this will be from the tulips you gifted me last spring.....they look healthy. Now, if they just don't get frozen off.

I need to work in the beds, but either too cold, too dry (can't dig) or too lazy....LOL......but, I am ready.
The robins are singing their heads off and flocks are starting to go through. Come on Spring.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Delbert

Planting my tomato seeds today.   Order 60 aspargus roots to plant in an old silo foundation.   I have filled the foundation with black dirt and put aged manure in the area that the roots will be planted.  Have a bunch of it already.  Will have to fence it to keep out the cattle.  Planted 6 blackberries last fall plus  and a few  short rows of garlic.    Also planted two Stella sweet cherry trees, one plum and two grafted pecans.  Not sure if my raspberries have survived.   Need to prune fruit trees and spray on dormant spray.

sixdogsmom

I always enjoy hearing about gardening from anywhere, not just local. I find hearing about other peoples gardens inspiring, making want to 'do', rather than yawn and put down the magazine as undoable. I love the magazine English Gardening, but have never tried doing any of it. Most is undoable here in arid Kansas, but I still love seeing those lovely flowers.

Delbert, happy to hear about all your planting. I am looking foreward to fresh asparagus. How soon before harvest?

I planted quite a few azaleas and other shrubs I had not grown before late last summer when they were marked down. Most made it through the drought with lots of help from me, and most still look pretty good. I am looking forward to some pretty blossoms this spring.

Currently I am enjoying the scent of orange blossoms. I bought a little Mandarin Orange tree late last fall for five dollars and have kept it in the house all winter. It is rewarding me with many blossoms and a new spurt of growth right now. Ahhh spring!  :D :D
Edie

Wilma

I like those English gardens, too.  I would love to turn my entire yard into a flower garden, but it is beyond my abilities.  So, I am waiting for my first trip to Arnold's to add to my rose garden.  Last spring I added a tea rose, Apricot Candy and six of those hardy roses that thrive without care.  I can't think of what they are called now.  One of them is named Red Ribbon and it was very pretty for it's first year.  I hope they all live up to the hype about them.  Roses all the time without care sounds good to me.

Growit1

Thought maybe we could ask Teresa for a new category so we don't have to sift through everything at the coffee shop.

My tulips and daffs are up too. Started onion seeds a few weeks ago. Tomatoes and peppers will be next - maybe this weekend. Anybody else growing OP or heirloom toms? What's your favorite?

frawin

Quote from: Wilma on February 13, 2013, 11:18:13 AM
I like those English gardens, too.  I would love to turn my entire yard into a flower garden, but it is beyond my abilities.  So, I am waiting for my first trip to Arnold's to add to my rose garden.  Last spring I added a tea rose, Apricot Candy and six of those hardy roses that thrive without care.  I can't think of what they are called now.  One of them is named Red Ribbon and it was very pretty for it's first year.  I hope they all live up to the hype about them.  Roses all the time without care sounds good to me.
Wilma, I think the low maintainence Roses you are talking about are "Knockout" Roses. I have 12 of them in mixed colors. They are really Hardy and only take trimming annually.

frawin

Quote from: Growit1 on February 13, 2013, 11:28:59 AM
Thought maybe we could ask Teresa for a new category so we don't have to sift through everything at the coffee shop.

My tulips and daffs are up too. Started onion seeds a few weeks ago. Tomatoes and peppers will be next - maybe this weekend. Anybody else growing OP or heirloom toms? What's your favorite?
I use all raised beds and have very good luck with the system. I generally plant my Early Girl tomatoes April 1st, last year I planted them March 15. I put metal cages around them and I wrap the cages in plastic, gives them a Hothouse effect. I plant my better Boy and a couple of others April 15. I plant my Green Pepppers and Sweet Banana Peppers April 1st. I feed my Tomatoes every 2 weeks with a liquid Feed.

Wilma

An hour after I posted, I remembered what they were called.  That is about par for my thought processes.  How big are your Knockouts?  I am wanting to fill up some space with them.

frawin

Quote from: Wilma on February 13, 2013, 12:51:14 PM
An hour after I posted, I remembered what they were called.  That is about par for my thought processes.  How big are your Knockouts?  I am wanting to fill up some space with them.
Wilma, my knockouts are about 3 feet tall and 2 1/2 feet wide. I will trim the back to about 12 inches tall probably in March. I will trim them back some in the Summer. I like the color on Roses  but Crepe Myrtles are my favorites. I have several varieties and colors.
Frank

Jane

I love Crepe Myrtles. I digging up some bushes that have been in the same area for 10 years because I am tired of them. Going to put  a container on top if them and fill them with different kinds of flowers. Hope it works.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk