Author Topic: A faux Constabulary made from a faux carbine.  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
A faux Constabulary made from a faux carbine.
« on: April 23, 2021, 11:40:19 AM »
I’m not sure if I’ve posted this here already but if I did I can’t find it. Any way a good shooting bud picked up a cut down 1896 Krag rifle from another friend a while back and as he already has a very nice legit carbine asked if I could build him a faux school rifle out of his faux carbine. Told him I’d try. He didn’t want to redo the front sight or mess with the rear sight as he liked the peep. He hated the goofy lower swivel that a po had installed and wanted it fixed correctly and somehow do a full school stock. I used my mill to remove the mortise cuts that were in the buttstock and recut a walnut block to fill in the cut that I had made. I then cut the correct mortise for a Krag lower swivel to straddle the repair. I also used the mill to recut the sanded out grasping grooves with a 3/4 in router. Now they have nice sharp corners. The forend is a piece of old .22 stock as I couldn’t get a cut off scrap piece to use. Of course after doing all the work on my stock I found cutoffs in stock again. I joined the two stock pieces by jbwelding a 4 inch long piece of 1/2x1/2 aluminum bar stock into the lightening cut on the Krag stock and my repair forend after milling a place for it. The upper handguard was a lot of work as it is a walnut m1a handguard with a pair of mauser clips jbwelded into mortises on the underside. My first attempt failed so I redid it, it held up to my buds hot loads so maybe it will be ok. The only internal thing I did was to replace his almost oem  mainspring [ one end was cut] with a spare that i had that was even shorter. Makes such a huge difference and sets off my cci primers every time. I’ve lightened the mainsprings in all my boltgun milsurps. I used bronze wool to clean up the old stock and Birchwood Casey's red walnut stain to match things up with a little truoil on top. The one pix is his rifle before and my school gun. The bottom one shows the cuts for the swivel. You can hardly see the spacer in the finished stock. I found that i had to use diluted light brown leather dye along with the red walnut to match where I had cut and sanded into the old stock.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: A faux Constabulary made from a faux carbine.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 12:42:11 PM »
Here they are together.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 12:52:00 PM »
Very nice project
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:37:40 PM »

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 06:39:18 PM »
Looks downright outstanding to me!
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 32291, NCOWS L170, GAF 74
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 08:48:57 PM »
Faux carbines not allowed?
I have 1, & a 2nd faux, a 68 cut down to to 69 Cadet length.
Brian

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2021, 08:58:03 PM »
No problem with a faux carbine, or cadet rifle, but the peep sight, while making it much more shootable, probably wouldn't be acceptable for GAF. But GAF aside, if I had something like that could possibly become my favorite deer rifle.

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2021, 01:47:06 PM »
My Krag sporters are basically just infantry rifles cut down to carbine dimensions.  My favorite has a Western no-drill peep and a barrel that was replaced with a custom barrel maybe a hundred years ago.  It has been a wonderful hunting rifle for the nearly 30 years I've owned it. 

A couple of my acquaintances hunt with issue carbines or NRA carbines, so we swap load data/results.  Best and most consistent results have been with factory-loaded Remington 180 gr core-lokts, handloads with the Hornady 220 gr SP, and handloads with a 220 grcast bullet.  Close on the heels of those three has been a handload using the 170 gr FP intended for the 30WCF.
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 05:06:10 PM »
Faux carbines are always allowed, it's the most affordable way to get a Krag for this game.  The reciever mounted Peep would not be allowed, UNLESS you can show need due to vision problems.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 07:44:22 AM »
Than a Krag scout would be a no-no? Has no peep sight—maybe call it a Krag sniper?
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 11:19:54 AM »
Than a Krag scout would be a no-no? Has no peep sight—maybe call it a Krag sniper?
;D

I'll bet that's the one Sgt. Schultz as a sniper on the Eastern Front after he was transferred from Stalag 13
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2021, 01:05:06 PM »

Is I can't see spending time effort and money to replace the peep an acceptable vision problem as it is indicative of an inability to see something AKA blindness or at least diminished capacity and may well fall under the ADA?
  Asking for a friend.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com