Author Topic: Canadian Mounted Police reference book!  (Read 1163 times)

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Canadian Mounted Police reference book!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 01:50:45 PM »
As I posted in the other location, my copy of this "bible" on arms and accoutrements is well-used, indeed ...

And I'd love to have a copy of the other "bible", long out-of-print and accordingly very pricey -

https://www.biblio.com/booksearch/author/boulton-james-j/title/uniforms-of-the-canadian-mounted-police
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 08:32:12 PM »
I got my re-print copy today.  It definitely lives Rattlesnake Jack's recommendation.
I poured over the sections on the Smith & Wesson .38s.  I learned a lot; but like most research, I have more questions.

Sadly the NWMP S&Ws were not stamped/marked.  But some of the serial numbers are listed. (And I have a couple that fall within the SN range.)

One question is:  Are the serial numbers listed because they were inventoried/cataloged or are they still in the possession of the RCMP, museum or other institution or they out there for the informed S&W collector to snag?

Books

G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:03:51 AM »

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 01:11:53 AM »
Books,

As indicated in the introduction to Appendix 1, on page 181, the lists of various firearms serial numbers are incomplete, and were "compiled from a mountain of source material: Force records, manuscripts, and factory records." 

Thus, they are not lists of known surviving firearms in some collection, but rather lists compiled from old source materials, so many firearms bearing documented numbers may still be out there to be "discovered" ... or may have failed to survive.

Care must be taken with thinking in terms of the serial number of a particular firearm being "in the range" of listed serial numbers ... especially with less common makes such as the S&W revolvers, which were acquired in very small batches.

My personal "pet peeve" in this regard is the tendency of some dealers (... Joe Salter springs to mind ...) to "hype" any offering of a Snider-Enfield cavalry carbine by stating that it is "in the range" of serial numbers listed in "Arms & Accoutrements" ... clearly attempting to "cash in" on a bare possibility, because Snider cavalry carbines were not marked by the NWMP.  Such an assertion is actually quite laughable, because the serial numbers for S-E cavalry carbines did not reach 10,000 .... while the "range" of documented NWMP serial numbers listed in the Appendix runs from a low of 75 to a high of 9295! 
(In other words, the serial number of pretty much any Snider-Enfield cavalry carbine one might find, which is not excluded from NWMP service by clear markings of issue elsewhere, will be "in the range" ...  ::) )

One of the authors of "Arms & Accoutrements", Don Klancher, offers a service in documenting NWMP/RNWMP/RCMP artifacts (particularly firearms, by serial number) on the basis of his copies of the extensive records compiled for this book.  For example, I have such a letter regarding my Enfield Mark II revolver ... which I would likely have been shooting, or in any event carrying, in my NWMP personna had I been able to attend Muster this year.  Although I understand that for some guns several different records are available, detailing more than one location where a firearm saw service, and even individual Members to which it was issued, in the case of my revolver the sole available record shows it being "on charge" (i.e. in inventory) at Depot Division in Regina in 1897.

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 04:49:09 AM »
That is REALLY cool, Grant!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 09:30:27 AM »
Thanks for the clarification Grant.

I have a small collection of Agency marked S&Ws (4) and was looking for Identification data on NWMP pistols so I know what to look for.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 02:27:58 PM »
I got to handle one of those Enfield revolvers at the Md Military Show years ago. Definitely a unique beast of a revolver. Very nice revolver Grant.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 08:39:38 PM »
Here is cool little video.....outside our time period but interesting none the less.

https://www.insider.com/how-canada-mountie-uniforms-are-made-2020-3
GAF#379

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com