Author Topic: Uberti .45 Long Colt Schofield Loads  (Read 9625 times)

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
Uberti .45 Long Colt Schofield Loads
« on: July 23, 2018, 10:09:38 PM »
Hi

I have several questions regarding loads for a new Uberti Schofield in .45 Long Colt.  First of all, I think I should break it in a little.  I have a box or two of .452 250 grain lead flat tip, round nose bullets.  What would a good load using Titegroup be?  The loads for Titegroup in .45 Long Colt are 5.6 to 6.2 grains.  I'm willing to bet no one will suggest the max load, but should I break in using 5.6 or 5.9 (middle) grains?

I plan on using Titegroup powder because I have some, and because its not supposed to be position sensitive.  Most cast bullet manufacturers sell 200 and 250 grain lead flat nose round bullets for lever actions.  If memory serves, the original load for the Schofield is a 230 grain round nose, but Lyman didn't publish a load for those.  I did find a load on the Hogdon sight.

I plan on trying the poly coated bullets, which both High Plains and Missouri Bullet sell now.  I can get 200, 230, and 250 grain poly coated and try them out with Titegroup.  The Lyman Manual (50th) has loads for 200 and 250 grain bullets in a .45 LC and a .45 Schofield.  I also found load data for the 230 grain round nose on the Hogdon sight.  

My second question is if it is worth my time and effort to work up loads for all three bullets in both .45 Schofield and .45 Long Colt brass.

Hodgdon says that Titegroup with a 230 grain .452" bullet minimum is 5.8 grains with a max of 6.5 grains for .45 Long Colt with 4.5 grains minimum and 5.8 grains max in a .45 Schofield.  I didn't copy the .45 S&W and .45 LC Loads from the Lyman book here.

Thanks
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Uberti .45 Long Colt Schofield Loads
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 08:36:45 AM »
I used Titegroup for both my Schofield and .45 ACP loads at the Muster, but I'm not at home now and don't remember the details.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 12:18:28 PM »
Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy.

First some CAVEATS.  And some harassment.  First harassment ... You must first understand we only deal in quality harassment here.  None of that cheap stuff you see on other boards.  Our harassment is made from the best stuff on earth.  Where was I, Oh yeah,
There is No Such Thing as 45 "Long Colt."  That's a term coined by some clown magazine writer some eons ago.  There has only ever been "45 Colt."  There have been other cartridges such as 45 government (not a 45 Colt but would chamber) and 45 Schofield.

Next.  There is no need to "Break In" your revolver.  All you need to do is take it out and play with it.

Unless your a Masochist, there is also no need for those big 'Ol heavy bullets.  Unless you just must experience the recoil of yesteryear.  I would suggest nothing heavier than 200Gr bullets.  I personally like em even lighter.

I do not personally like Trailboss.  The stuff doesn't play real well with petroleum based lubricants and by comparison, shoots a little dirty.  My favorite in all manner of .45 is Tightgroup.  Some don't like it because of it's "bark."  It also meters superbly.  You may also wish to try Cowboy 45 Special cases.  Cute little short jobbers perfect for reduced loads.

NEVER.  EVER.  Shop for reload data on any Web Site, Forum, Board or any of that.  Get a real good loading Manuel and get your load data from trusted sources that have thorough scientific testing of their data.  I have seen load data presented that caused my hair and toes to curl.  If using Tightgroup, a visit to Hodgden's web data is a great idea.  If you can't find load data for a particular powder in your Cartridge/Bullet combo, you probably shouldn't be trying to load it??

Working up load is fun.  I see no reason not work up loads for all the 45 cartridges you gun will chamber.  ANOTHER CAVEAT:  Your Schofield is not a Smith M-29.  Approach any listed Max load data with caution.

I return you to our normally scheduled programming  ;D   

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:52:25 AM »

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 01:11:02 PM »
Get a real good loading Manuel and get your load data from trusted sources that have thorough scientific testing of their data.

First some CAVEATS.  And some harassment.  First harassment ... You must first understand we only deal in quality harassment here.  None of that cheap stuff you see on other boards.  Our harassment is made from the best stuff on earth.  Where was I, Oh yeah,
  ;D You must know a different Manuel than I do. I'd never trust the Manuel I know to give me load data, I'd be afraid he'd been smoking something strange. Personally, I like to get my load data from a manual. ;)
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 06:27:01 PM »
Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy.

There is No Such Thing as 45 "Long Colt."  That's a term coined by some clown magazine writer some eons ago.  There has only ever been "45 Colt."  There have been other cartridges such as 45 government (not a 45 Colt but would chamber) and 45 Schofield.

Next.  There is no need to "Break In" your revolver.  All you need to do is take it out and play with it.

Unless your a Masochist, there is also no need for those big 'Ol heavy bullets.  Unless you just must experience the recoil of yesteryear.  I would suggest nothing heavier than 200Gr bullets.  I personally like em even lighter.

I do not personally like Trailboss.  The stuff doesn't play real well with petroleum based lubricants and by comparison, shoots a little dirty.  My favorite in all manner of .45 is Tightgroup.  Some don't like it because of it's "bark."  It also meters superbly.  You may also wish to try Cowboy 45 Special cases.  Cute little short jobbers perfect for reduced loads.

NEVER.  EVER.  Shop for reload data on any Web Site, Forum, Board or any of that.  Get a real good loading Manuel and get your load data from trusted sources that have thorough scientific testing of their data.  I have seen load data presented that caused my hair and toes to curl.  If using Tightgroup, a visit to Hodgden's web data is a great idea.  If you can't find load data for a particular powder in your Cartridge/Bullet combo, you probably shouldn't be trying to load it??

Working up load is fun.  I see no reason not work up loads for all the 45 cartridges you gun will chamber.  ANOTHER CAVEAT:  Your Schofield is not a Smith M-29.  Approach any listed Max load data with caution.

Hi

45 LC is in them there Reloadin' Manuel's. 

Break in / get good enough with the trigger to think I'm working up a load as opposed to spray and pray.

So far the recoil doesn't really annoy me that much.  I shot 200 grain commercial cowboy loads in the GAF match, but I have 250 grain bullets in the box here.  I'll probably use the most accurate load I can get.  I don't want to use the maximum loads, new Schofields ain't cheap. 

Took a while, but I did find 230 grain loads, so I have a Reloadin' Manuel load from all three bullet weights I'll probably get.  No getting information from suspicious types. 

I hate loading Trail Boss, but because it floats all over the place when I reload it.  Gray Donut Seeds all over the place. 

Yee Haw

Thanks
Mike
BOSS #230

Division of Oklahoma

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 08:28:46 AM »
The Manuel I am familiar with sells tacos and burritos.  Good food, but I don't ask where the meat comes from, and I don't ask him for reloading data!
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 09:55:51 AM »
See?  QUALITY harassment!

My 5" Schofield really likes 230 grainers.  Loaded over a mild charge of Alliant American Select (My favorite lead bullet handgun Smokeless Powder)  in Schofield cases around 750 fps.  Used this revolver and load at the Grand Muster.  Good illustration in my "Siboney" run.

Standard .45 acp and Auto rim loads work nicely in the Schofield case. 
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 10:11:57 AM »
Hi

My Schofield shoots 6 inches or so low at 20 yards.  Reading this:

https://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_bullet_velocity_trajectory.htm

leads me to think that moving up to 230 or 250 grain lead would help with the point of aim.  I don't intend on purchasing more Schofleids even though they fit my had much better than the Uberti SAA I own.  I don't want to tear the Schofield up.  Having said that, I think I'll try 200's and 230's first.

Oddly, I think I'll have lunch at the Super Mercado.  Carne Asada burrito with avocado sounds good.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Division of Oklahoma

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 11:01:55 AM »
See?  QUALITY harassment!
I'm not sure if there is a rule/penalty for piling on!
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 01:09:34 PM »
I'm not sure if there is a rule/penalty for piling on!

I thought you got credit for being the first, second, and third to count coup, but what do I know, I'm half German half United Kingdom.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Division of Oklahoma

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 03:05:41 PM »
Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy.

My own harassment-

There is NOW and will forever be a 45 "Long" Colt. It's printed on ammunition boxes and all sorts of documentation everywhere and the accepted abbreviation for the 45 Colt is now and will always be 45 LC (because "45 C" makes no sense) So you fellers can give all the history lessons you want on the subject, but the moniker will never go away. There!

Loads- One aggravating thing about the 45 LC is its propensity to shoot low with lighter bullets. I tried some 200 gr. bullets in my 45 LC's and even running then.similar velocities to the 250 gr. bullets they shot like 6" low at 25 yds. There's nothing wrong or masochistic about loading and shooting the bullets for which the cartridge was designed. Seems pointless to to buy a 45 LC and try to load it down when it'd be cheaper to just buy a .38 Special. My every day practice load is a 250 gr. cast bullet in the original profile running around 800-850 fps, a little lighter than the original load. I load 6.0 grs. of Red Dot or 700-X. Both are popular with the clay bird fellas so they're cheaper., but evidently Titegroup is really good too. I'll never try TraIl Boss, it's just too expensive and you'll never convince me that sometbing shaped like Cheerios is going to meter well.

The single best source for load data is at www.loaddata.com.  For about $30 per annum you have access to over 300,000 loads, all of which can be sorted by powder manufacturer, powder brand, bullet manufacturer, bullet weight and bullet composition, and the results printed. A quick search of 45 LC data using cast bullets and Titegroup turned up 58 loads.

CHT

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 07:22:09 PM »
Loads- One aggravating thing about the 45 LC is its propensity to shoot low with lighter bullets. I tried some 200 gr. bullets in my 45 LC's and even running then.similar velocities to the 250 gr. bullets they shot like 6" low at 25 yds. There's nothing wrong or masochistic about loading and shooting the bullets for which the cartridge was designed. Seems pointless to to buy a 45 LC and try to load it down when it'd be cheaper to just buy a .38 Special. My every day practice load is a 250 gr. cast bullet in the original profile running around 800-850 fps, a little lighter than the original load. I load 6.0 grs. of Red Dot or 700-X. Both are popular with the clay bird fellas so they're cheaper., but evidently Titegroup is really good too. I'll never try TraIl Boss, it's just too expensive and you'll never convince me that something shaped like Cheerios is going to meter well.
  CHT

Howdy again.  I'm in the process of loading up a lot of .45 LONG colt  ;D to try out in my Schofield.  I have a bunch of .45 Schofield rounds loaded.  I'm trying Missouri Bullet poly coated bullets in 230 grain (basically a .45 FMJ in coated Lead) and poly coated 250 grain flat nosed lead.  I still have to anneal the LONG colt cases and load those up.  Then if it ever warms up here in Polar Oklahoma I can go try them out.

Oh, and with respect to the .38 Special Schofield, Drydock said it wasn't correct which it ain't.

Later Y'all
Mike
BOSS #230

Division of Oklahoma

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 10:18:02 AM »
The Manuel I am familiar with sells tacos and burritos.  Good food, but I don't ask where the meat comes from, and I don't ask him for reloading data!
A real fine use for cats and raccoons ;D.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2019, 01:55:57 PM »
A real fine use for cats and raccoons ;D.

True  even my seriously Redneck co-worker won't eat Armadillo or opossum on the half shell.

Later,
Mike
BOSS #230

Division of Oklahoma

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2019, 11:35:00 PM »
Does possum on the half shell carry Hansen's disease like the ones not on the half shell, if so may be a good reason not to stuff a burrito with em
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2019, 12:37:46 PM »
Hi

After a bit of testing, A load of Starline .45 S&W (Schofield) brass, Winchester WLP Primers, Missouri Bullet Poly Coated Lead Round Nose 250 grain bullets, and 4.5 grains of Tite Group creates a load that shoots about 3 inches high (i.e. in the black) at 23 yards.  This is a 25 yard range, but the sand keeps washing down. 

The groups at 4.4 and 4.5 grains were both good, as was the 230 grain Missouri Bullet Round nose groups at 5.5 grains of Tite Group.

Obviously, we should all check the load books before we put the powder down the brass.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Division of Oklahoma

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2019, 08:22:48 PM »
Well what do you want?  .45 Colt loads or .45 S&W Schofield loads.

.45 Colt or .45 Government Loads:  28 grains of 2Fg and a .25 inch cork wad under a 230 or 250 grain lead bullet.

.45 Schofield load: 28 - 30 grains of 2Fg under a 230 grain lead bullet.

Bot loads are pleasant to shoot.  (At least compared to 40 grains of compressed 2Fg under a 250 grain lead bullet.)
;D
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2019, 02:44:51 PM »
Well what do you want?  .45 Colt loads or .45 S&W Schofield loads.

.45 Colt or .45 Government Loads:  28 grains of 2Fg and a .25 inch cork wad under a 230 or 250 grain lead bullet.

.45 Schofield load: 28 - 30 grains of 2Fg under a 230 grain lead bullet.

Bot loads are pleasant to shoot.  (At least compared to 40 grains of compressed 2Fg under a 250 grain lead bullet.)
;D

Thanks Grapeshot, IFFFFFFF I found someone who was regularly shooting an 100 round match with the Holy Black, I'd be on board.  Heck, I only got 36 out of a 1858 Remington without a cleaning.

Later

Mike
BOSS #230

Division of Oklahoma

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2019, 04:23:12 PM »
Mike, to have a more harmonious outcome with B.P. (or subs,) and your Remington 58 try putting some lube grooves in the arbor. Can be accomplished fairly easily turning the arbor in a drill press or hand drill and using a small rat tail file, then progressively finer sand paper to smooth it up. Helps the Remington carry more grease. I got the idea from a fellow who made the modification to an original 58 Remington conversion which works really well for him.   
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2019, 05:11:05 PM »

My personal recommendation for the Remington .......... 0 never mind.  Not worth it.  Remingtons suck and there is just no other way to put it.

Your also not gonna have much fun iffin you try and run BP in yer Schofield.  Won't be real Harmonious.  Real ... yes.  Not Harmonious.

I did check with Manuel too.  Also.  Manuel is also in agreement   ::)

See ..... I told ya nuttin here but QUALITY harassment   ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com