Author Topic: Arrrggghhh! The terrible affliction of Uberti 1866 Brokenladle-itis!  (Read 3099 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Well, I took the Uberti 1866 38-40 to its first match in 15 years.  All was well on the first stage.  Then disaster struck!  I loaded for the second stage. I fired one round in the second stage and the action was locked up.  End of match.  Unscrewed the end plug into a 5 gallon barrel, and spring follower, 9 rounds, and a small steel tab from the back of the ladle emptied into the bucket.  The retention tab broke of the back of the loading ladle, and allowed rounds to jamb into the receiver locking it up.

I had thought of doing the liquid steel re-enforcement earlier this week, but did not want to break it down!  Well, I'll get a replacement from Track of the Wolf. Anyone know if their US made replacement ladles TOTW sells need the re-enforced build up also?
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Re: Arrrggghhh! The terrible affliction of Uberti 1866 Brokenladle-itis!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 05:13:06 PM »
Short answer is no.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 05:16:59 PM »
Improved Henry  ???    Eh ?

;D 
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 05:44:02 PM »
Improved Henry  ???    Eh ?

;D 

No Sh*t!  Believe me, I thought about that very thing!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 06:34:32 PM »
Yeah, but B Tyler Henry didn't have to deal with Uberti!  TL, didja have a backup with you?  Your '66 has the earliest generation of that design travesty that replaced the robust design they'd used for years.  Just to save a lira or two.  After years of complaints, they finally improved it, but only by deepening the dish.  An improvement for sure, but still some fail, particularly smaller calibers.  I suggest checking the magazine spring and shortening it if it is too long (I mostly hear two inches extending out of the tube is optimal.  YMMV) That will take a small amount of stress off the ladle. Mine is 18 years old and has the old style, lucky me.

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 07:28:27 PM »
Are you talking about the loading gate?  I don't know about the repop rifles, but if they break on an original Winchester, they are impossible to repair with any satisfaction and must be replaced.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 09:21:57 PM »
I had fixed one for a friend years ago using a jig to hold the broken tab in place, and a gob of liquid steel.  It worked for years.  I don't want to screw with it, though, so I ordered a US made replacement from Track of the Wolf.  It was cheaper than a Uberti part from VTI!

As is my practice with screw in magazine plugs, I made sure it would screw out with minimal effort as soon as I got the rifle back from my buddy.  It is VITAL on the Winchester toggle links to be able to do a "Henry style" unload when things go bad.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 10:10:50 PM »
By the way, I forgot how easy the Uberti 1866 is to break down instead of an 1860!  Two screws, then side plates off! I may start shooting BP again!

The Uberti loading ladle is a flimsy P.O.S!  What a joke. :o
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 01:57:11 AM »
As soon as i got my 66 carbine, i took coffinmaker's advice and replaced it. glad i did so that the whole ladle breaking on me never happened, I still have the original one and I really don't see a difference between it and the TOW one, might be a microscopic level but still glad that its holding up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com