Author Topic: Dilema  (Read 7917 times)

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Dilema
« on: May 14, 2018, 10:29:03 PM »
 I was at the range the other day and a guy was shooting a .45-70. I wasn't really paying much attention to him but when he was done he left a bunch of brass on the ground. I picked them up. There was 48 of them and they looked brand new. So now I have 48 once-fired .45-70 shells. Does this mean I now have to get a .45-70? Which one should I get? Sharps, Rolling Block, 1885 Winchester? Do I have to get one of those Malcom tube scopes too? It would be a shame to waste that brass.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
Re: Dilema
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 04:45:20 AM »
You have just stumbled on to how it all works....Subtle little hints or prods , that lead you down a marry path ....

48 FREE once-fired .45-70 shells, left behind by the foolhardy, is such a ploy...

twer it me .... Sharps ....no Winchester , um,  both ?  maybe the 73 Springfield or Rolling block ....

Yes...It is a rule, "From Small Things (Big Things One Day Come)"  not just a song !  ;D
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 07:52:50 AM »
I would suggest selling those brass to someone else. Otherwise you're set on the path to spending endless hours staring at the Shiloh and C Sharps web sites, then the torture and agony of placing the order, and then the clock slows to a crawl and calendar pages barely turn.
 Not only that but then you find yourself with payroll deduct at Buffalo Arms, and you end up with a lifetime membership in the mould of the month club. You will have rotometals and other places that sell good alloy on speed dial, and the fine folks at Powder Inc. will recognize your voice.
 Homeland security will have black helicopters over your house trying to figure out what you're doing buying all those cases of primers.
Your vehicle will need new tires on a regular basis,, and the list goes on.
 Yes rid yourself of those brass and live free. ;D
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:04:58 AM »

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 08:09:14 AM »
I would suggest selling those brass to someone else. Otherwise you're set on the path to spending endless hours staring at the Shiloh and C Sharps web sites, then the torture and agony of placing the order, and then the clock slows to a crawl and calendar pages barely turn.
 Not only that but then you find yourself with payroll deduct at Buffalo Arms, and you end up with a lifetime membership in the mould of the month club. You will have rotometals and other places that sell good alloy on speed dial, and the fine folks at Powder Inc. will recognize your voice.
 Homeland security will have black helicopters over your house trying to figure out what you're doing buying all those cases of primers.
Your vehicle will need new tires on a regular basis,, and the list goes on.
 Yes rid yourself of those brass and live free. ;D
                        I agree Ranch 13 , how could that guy that left behind the brass do that to another fellow ,  and still sleep at night ? Some people !,,,,DT

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 09:57:26 AM »
A word of caution. If you buy a single shot rifle you will find yourself spending endless dollars and time searching for the perfect load, bullet, wad, etc. If you buy a repeater (some version of the 1886 Winchester) you will probably settle on one reasonable load and shoot the heck out of it.

If you are primarily a reloader get the single shot. If you're more of a shooter get the lever action.

Having been down both routes I thought I should warn you. (smile)

Dave

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 10:36:23 AM »
I've had a bunch of those looong .45 caliber cartridge guns, a round bbl Marlin, a 70s manufactured RB, a Uberti RB, an original but severely messed up1886 in 45-90 and currently have a repro NWMP 1876 carbine in 45-60. Enjoyed them all. Search on GB and see what talks to your inner self then go to the bank and take out a loan. Don't forget the dies.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 11:30:59 AM »
This can be a very addictive aspect into the Sport of Shooting Historic Firearms.
You may not realize how bad you have the addiction until you start looking into the cost and availability of brass and thinking of ordering 100 at a time.
All of the above statements are very true! But I would not turn anyone away from the experience.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 12:38:25 PM »
Nor I, if one must be afflicted, shooting originals is about as good an affliction one can have.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 01:10:19 PM »
If I may make a recommendation, I say go for a .45-70 Trapdoor. It's fairly easy to find one in shootable condition, and they're great fun. I need to have a little bit of work done to mine, but it's a fun 'ol rifle.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 01:22:05 PM »
Not only the originals, but the want-a-bees as well.
Everybody has their preference. Not only in the type of action but also in the caliber of choice.
All of this too is part of the addiction.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 01:30:16 PM »
I'll agree with you on that, one of those gussied up Navy Arms with the pewter forend cap and the ramrod. A real pretty rifle.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 02:01:03 PM »
                        I agree Ranch 13 , how could that guy that left behind the brass do that to another fellow ,  and still sleep at night ? Some people !,,,,DT

DT yes the guy that left that brass probably did so on purpose, and should be reprimanded severely for trying to get someone so helplessly hooked on this stuff. ;D

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2018, 03:30:33 PM »
If I may make a recommendation, I say go for a .45-70 Trapdoor. It's fairly easy to find one in shootable condition, and they're great fun. I need to have a little bit of work done to mine, but it's a fun 'ol rifle.
+1

IMH(BC)O It gives you more options for what you can do with it.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 03:51:29 PM »
 OH,,my,my,my,,your  "DELIMA "may be worse than you thought !! You see the 45/70 brass ,,can be resized to a number of different cal's.  40/60,,,45/60,, 40/65,, 45/75,, just to give you a few,, ( shaking head ) " Good Luck w/ your choice .

coffee's ready ,,, Hootmix.

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 06:42:44 PM »
OH,,my,my,my,,your  "DELIMA "may be worse than you thought !! You see the 45/70 brass ,,can be resized to a number of different cal's.  40/60,,,45/60,, 40/65,, 45/75,, just to give you a few,, ( shaking head ) " Good Luck w/ you choice .

coffee's ready ,,, Hootmix.
Not to be forgotten is the 38/56 which can easily achieve 1600+fps with a BACO 250g mold and OE 1.5 BP.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 08:08:37 PM »
40-70 bn, and 44-70 st. are two more cartridges that easing form fromm 45-70.

8) Throw them cases away before it's to late. ;D

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 08:21:28 PM »
I have been saving for a Uberti Winchester 1873 in .44-40. It's really a shame when you want another gun before you even get the first one. I was looking at the Shiloh and C. Sharps website and I notice their standard color case hardening is not bone charcoal. Does anybody know what process they use and does anybody know what process was used for the originals?

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2018, 02:50:06 PM »
Its a complex chemical dip process, though still real case hardening, not the simple color application often seen on italian guns.  The orginals were bone charcoal hardened, and both Shiloh and C. Sharps will do the older method for an additional fee.  Bone hardening tends to give slightly more brilliant hues, thus is preferred by many for fancier orders.  (I've got a .50-70 ordered with Bone Case, I call it my "retirement" rifle) But metalurgicly one is as good as the other.  I've had 2 of the chemically hardened guns, my son has a C. Sharps 1875 with that process as well, all were/are fine looking, fine shooting rifles.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2018, 02:54:51 PM »
https://shilohrifle.com/rifles/1874-sharps-rifle/1874-long-range-express/

This rifle is chemically hardened, pass the curser over the picture.  The process often produces a somewhat "tiger stripe" pattern.

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 02:56:39 PM »
https://shilohrifle.com/rifles/1874-sharps-rifle/1874-long-range-express-clone-en/

This one is bone hardened.  The pattern tends to be a bit more random/blotchy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com