Author Topic: Marine Corps Uniform in Cuba Question  (Read 11931 times)

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Marine Corps Uniform in Cuba Question
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2013, 12:05:19 PM »
"Spanish American War" by Brassey ( http://www.amazon.com/SPANISH-AMERICAN-1898-Brasseys-History-Uniforms/dp/1857532724)
is an excellent resource for uniforms of all the services - American, Spanish and Filipino.

Information on the US Army and Volunteers is very detailed, with plenty of illustrations and photos; Marines and Navy, not so much.  One glaring error I've found is a colored illustration of Marines at Cusco Wells - the artist has the colors of the cheverons reversed.  His dipiction shows red striptes with a gold backing, which is OPPOSITE of the correct gold-on-red.

Osprey has several titles showing Marines of this era, showing Marines (and other services/countries) in Cuba, Philippines, and Peking (Boxer Rebellion, 1900).

Neiderlander - I was not aware of the other differences in the Marine/Army blue shirt.  Thanks for the info!
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Marine Corps Uniform in Cuba Question
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2013, 10:34:47 PM »
It would be a good idea to double check information from some of the Ospey series, I know there are some errors in the Boxer Rebellion book. The photos would be good, but some of their color prints and text can have mistakes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com