Author Topic: Which replica  (Read 4009 times)

Offline disney

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Which replica
« on: November 10, 2007, 06:08:20 PM »
I'm in the market for a Schofield or Schofield like replica.  Don't know much about these.  Which would you recommend?  The Laramie looks kind of interesting though it isn't quite a Schofield.

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Which replica
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 06:33:36 PM »
Disney:

I have found all the Uberti replicas of S&W revolvers to be of high quality and good accuracy.

Couple of points:

Price-wise they seem to start with the Schofield, get costlier for the New Model Russian and costlier yet for the Beretta Laramie (still Uberti made).

I have owned all three.
* My personal pereference by a long shot is the Laramie, which is primarily a copy of the New Model No. 3.
Mine is .45LC cal with a 5" barrel. Its balance, pointability, accuracy, sights and, most importantly, its grip frame are perfect for me.
* The New Model Russian is my next favorite. Mine is .44 Russian cal with a 7" barrel. It is extremely accurate and the grip is comfortable, but does not lend itself to rapid one-hand cocking because of its shape.
* The Schofields are also very high quality, but their grip shape was never totally comfortable in my hands.

Keep in mind these are just MY experiences and opinions. As none of these revolvers are inexpensive, I'd recommend you try to get your hands on each of them and see how they feel to you.

I don't think you will go wrong with any of them -- just pick your preference.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline disney

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 06:52:22 PM »
Thanks!  That's helpful!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:52:02 PM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 06:56:10 PM »
There really isn't much choice.  It's Uberti or Uberti, it's the only game in town.  There were some Schofields made several years ago by ASM.  They were junk and out of business.  Smith & Wesson made some new Schofields, they are discontinued and very expensive.

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 02:23:06 AM »
I have owned 2 Uberti Schofields, 7" and 5", both in .45 Colt,  and still have my Uberti Russian in .44 Russian with the chamber opendd to shot .44 Colt caliber as well.
The 2 Schofields were nice pistols but my hands did not go along with the grip.
I shoot the Russian regulary with .44 Colt reloads purely for reasons of logistics because my other match pistols are in that caliber. I can confirm accuracy. After removal of the lawyer safety and exchange of the factory grips with Gripmaker's PU ivory grips it is really a sweet and pleasant shooter.
My 2 cents.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 02:14:40 PM »
I guess I'm in between.  I like the grips on the Model 3, (I have an original in 44 Russian).  It is the gun the Laramie is a copy of, and if it is as authentic in shape as the Uberti Russian is, (the Uberti grips fit the real Russian I have.) is it a good comparison.

I don't like the feel of the grips on my Uberti (or original) Russians as they feel too small and non directional, kind of like the grip on a Broom Handle Mauser.  Though it looks so much like the Model 3, see photos, it feels different somehow, perhaps it is the greater weight of the Uberti that makes the grip feel inadequate.

Top is an original Russian with Uberti grips, center an Uberti and bottom an original model 3.

I do like the grips on the Schofield, although a lot of people don't, admitted it is a long reach to the hammer..

Bottom Uberti Schofield.

The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline W0LFY

• Citizen
  • BCVC #80
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 01:56:24 PM »
It's Uberti or Uberti, it's the only game in town.   Smith & Wesson made some new Schofields, they are discontinued and very expensive.

Speaking of the S&W.   I was led. to think it had Uberti involvement as well. 

I have one, but as its in a cal I don't shoot, it sits in its pres. case.
Wolfy

NRA Life, SASS #29723

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 02:05:53 PM »
No, Uberti had nothing to do with the S&W Schofield made in 2000.

Offline W0LFY

• Citizen
  • BCVC #80
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 07:11:44 PM »
I ended up with it as a trade.  However my NMRs have me firmly set with shooting 44s for now.  Ill post pics of them elsewhere in this forum.   I had em reworked, taken down to 5" and stuff.
Wolfy

NRA Life, SASS #29723

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com