Author Topic: 1851 Model Navy Sheriff Black Powder Revolver 44 caliber  (Read 5088 times)

Offline ronster

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1851 Model Navy Sheriff Black Powder Revolver 44 caliber
« on: July 18, 2007, 08:55:29 PM »
i was wanting to know if its possible to convert 1851 navy to fire metallic cartridges with a conversion cylinder. everywhere i look i only see it able to convert for the 36 caliber. is it possible to use the conversion for the 1860 model for the 1851. thanks in advance.

Offline Cincy Slim

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 1851 Model Navy Sheriff Black Powder Revolver 44 caliber
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 08:50:38 AM »
Howdy,

If it is the Pietta made .44 caliber "US Marshall's" revolver you have with the short barrel and laser engraving
then it is based on the same frame Pietta uses on their 1860 Army revolver. I have a "Sherrif" model Pietta 1860 Army with a five inch barrel and an "Old Silver" stainless 1851 Navy in .44 caliber and EVERYTHING interchanges. I ordered a spare cylinder for the same 1851 .44 caliber "Sherrif" or "Marshall's" that you have from Cabela's and It fits perfectly.

This means the five shot .45 Colt conversion cylinder for a Pietta 1860 Army from R&D WILL WORK FINE IN YOUR REVOLVER ! ;)

The only thing to watch out for is overall length of the cartridges. The Ultramax "cowboy" loads are fine but some of the Winchester cartridges are just a shade too long for the cylinder and the very tips of the slugs will drag on the forcing cone and tie up the revolver. Of course if you reload, just seat the bullets a little bit deeper and all will be well. You also want to full length re-size the brass; the R&D chambers are really TIGHT! Stick with black powder or a sub for your reloads or mild "cowboy" factory loaded round and you won't have any problems.

You WILL find the gun will shoot really high using the tiny acorn brass bead front sight. I would suggest cutting a dovetail slot and installing a Uberti Remington style front sight blade. I'll be a little too high but is easy to file shorter.

Happy Trails,

Cincinnati Slim

Offline ronster

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 09:11:38 PM »
thanks for the help Cincy Slim  i truly appreciate it. i was also wondering if any 45 long colt or 45 schofield would work in the conversion and would it be best to get a drop in cylinder that they avertised at R & D. thanks again.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:02:16 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com