Author Topic: 45 long colt Hunting Ammo  (Read 18910 times)

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 45 long colt Hunting Ammo
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2011, 08:33:26 PM »
My experience with Silvertips is that when they hit a leg or shoulder bone, they expand and stop. Every other time I've shot a WT Deer at a range under 50 yards the bullet went completely through, side to side. The bullet used being a lead cast bullet from 200 to 230 gr. I've never shot a deer in a frontal shot or quartering shot with a .45 Colt. I do mt best to take a broadside shot as close as possible.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline mr phil

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2013, 10:37:51 AM »
So. If I was using a Urberti 73 rifle in 45lc what load would recommend ? I load for CAS with Trailboss . My pistols are Rugers but I know I dont want to load hot loads for my rifle. I read a lot of posts where it's said that clone 73's or even original 73 have been used on whitetails. Can the same 5.5g of trailboss be used through a 30 in barrel and have enough WHAM to do a proper job on a deer at 50yrs and less ?
I would like to stay with smokeless powder and even use the powder I have but if you have any recommendations I would be grateful . I did just get a chronograph to start testing my loads.   

I apologize cause I did ask this in another thread. I will plan well in advance for hunting season next year.
Fidgety Phil

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2013, 12:40:18 PM »
Mr.Phil
I used a 1866 carbine in 45lc . I took a doe with it several years ago when I was start to play with Vintage Hunting . She was about 50 yards from me when I shot her . The load I was using was a 250 gr. RNFP (lead ) and 7.5 grains of Unique and Winchester LP primers . The main thing to remember is shot placement is the most important thing in MY BOOK . So practice practice practice , that way when the chance shows up you will be ready . Good luck and Happy Hunting .

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 07:27:56 PM »

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2013, 01:21:26 PM »
Rowdy,

Best suggestion I have heard.
My best,
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline mr phil

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2013, 01:33:15 PM »
Thank you Rowdy.
I decided I have not shot enough with my 45LC rifles even though my shots are normally close.  Yesterday I took 2 deer at 20 and 30 yards. I had taken my scoped 308 which just seems like over kill but I was sure of rifle and the scope.  I have a 66 and a 73 in 45lc as well as a 1860 in 44-40. I just did not want to take the chance of giving up a shot or worse yet losing a shot deer.
Since I have some deer in the freezer I may go out later this week with the 73. That stand is really such a close range spot suitable for bow.
Fidgety Phil

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2013, 05:04:23 PM »
 I would suggest using a powder like bludot or 2400 with a 250 gr bullet. Trailboss doesn't generate enough velocity, and may actually slow down in that long of a rifle barrel. Unique, bludot and 2400 will all give very useful velocity that makes the 45 an easy 75 yd plus round when shot from a rifle.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2013, 10:04:12 AM »
Mr. Phil,
In my 24" Marlin Cowboy 5.8 Trail Boss / 250 cast bullet = 771 f.p.s.  If the powder was placed to the back of the case prior to chambering - 816 f.p.s.

As Ranch 13 indicated, Unique, Blue Dot, 2400 would be much better choices for hunting rounds in your '73.
The Alliant recommended load of 8.0 / Unique (safe in a '73) generated close to 1,100 f.p.s. in the 24" Marlin (250 gr cast)
The Alliant recommended load of 11.5 / Blue Dot (safe in a '73) would likely be close to 1,200 f.p.s. with a 250 gr bullet

w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline mr phil

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2013, 02:02:47 PM »
w44wcf

That is exactly what I was worried about. Definitely a powder change is in order. This is another reason why I ordered a chronograph as well. I did not want to guess at it. There is no way I can go to the range and test out a different load or even load up what you posted and take it to the field without a test.  So if I want to take out a lever it will be my win 94 in 30-30. I am sure of that rifle and loads. But next year..... look out.  
I really would like to take out my cowboy guns to the woods.  I also picked up a Sharps in 45-70 but that is for another forum  :)
Thanks guys. Have a safe season and I will be sure to post any pictures. I did post one of a spike I finished off with my Rooger Blackhawk in the roger forum.

;D  
Fidgety Phil

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com