Author Topic: Montado hammer for NM Vaquero 45s  (Read 8339 times)

Offline fourfingersofdeath

• The Old Loquacious one's loquacious signature:
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dang! Caught shooting a 357!
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Montado hammer for NM Vaquero 45s
« on: May 11, 2010, 06:58:35 AM »
I bought my wife (who is just starting out in SASS Cowboy shooting) a pair of the new SASS Vaqueros in the red case. They are lovely guns and I love the feel of them, the hammer suits me to a tee!

I prefer to shoot big bores (although it is tempting to convert to all 38Special, that would simpilfy things greatly) and the SASS series don't come out in 44 or 45, sooooooooooo, I was thinking can I fit the Montado hammere?

The other alternative is to blacksmith the existing hammers.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Offline yeti76620

• Reverend Sassquatch Dawg
  • Top Active Citizen
  • It's a good day to die....
  • Liked:
Re: Montado hammer for NM Vaquero 45s
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 11:01:49 PM »
Or maybe some Super Blackhawk hammers..........I think that there just might be a thread about that in the RATS Page.......I think I read about that there?????????????

???  ???  ???  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ::)

Yeti76620
NRA LIFE Member     SASS #76620     SCAA #1    RATS #480    OUTLAW

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/
CONTACT YOUR POLITICIANS: http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

• Top Active Citizen
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 07:27:06 AM »
Thanks, the only ones I could find were for the old model Vaq.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:15:22 PM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 01:00:18 PM »
Vaquero and New Vaquero hammers are the same.  It's almost impossible to find a "Montado" hammer.  If you look you can find Super Black Hawk hammers and they make a nice setup.  The only difference between a Montado and SBH hammer is one is checkered and the other is serrated.  If you are a SASS member and get the Chronicle, I have an article coming out on tuning the Vaquero.  I personally do not like the New Vaquero hammer.  I shoot duelist and the spur comes to far back to cock quickly.  A stock Old Vaquero hammer feels better than the new one for a lot of people and are very easy to find.

Standard NMV hammer and Montado/SBH hammer

SBH Hammer installed in a 7 1/2" .45 NMV.

• Top Active Citizen
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 09:15:38 PM »
Thanks Pettifooger, that is interesting. I need to get these guns to the range and compare them carefully.

I have not collected the SASS 357s from the club armourer yet (my choice, I have a Police Inspection of my firearm safekeeping coming up and my small pistol safe is buldging, I will get them when that is done).

I had a quick look at them and was under the impression that they came under the thumb a lot easier for duellist. I really need to compare them on the range.

I have a real old SBH (dragoon trigger guard model) and a NMSBH, both in 44 Mag. I only use them for deliberate style shooting, where hammer style is immaterial I suppose. They may end up being donors.

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 01:25:51 PM »
There are several gunsmiths including Long Hunter who advertise they will replace the hammers with SB style. Not sure whether they supply the hammer or expect you to.

• Top Active Citizen
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 08:16:55 AM »
There are several gunsmiths including Long Hunter who advertise they will replace the hammers with SB style. Not sure whether they supply the hammer or expect you to.

Thanks for the thought, but I'm in Australia, sorta compounds the problem.

Looking at the two hammers above, there is a fair bit of difference. Might be a job for a bit of blacksmithing and a build up of weld. Need to mill up a jig to hold the hammer for da heatin and da whackin und da weldin! Could be a nice little cottage industry.

www.boldlawdawgs.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com