Author Topic: Need a New Hat  (Read 5887 times)

Offline S. Quentin Quale, Esq.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Need a New Hat
« on: December 02, 2011, 09:51:11 AM »
I'm in need of a new hat.  It will likely have to be custom made.  I'm looking for referrals to good makers.

The period I'm interested in is from the end of the SAW to roughly the end of WWI.  I portray a Naval Officer who's also a Naval Aviator of that period.  The hat in those says was a bellcrown hat (similar to a modern firefighters dress hat).

Attached is a plate showing the various hats.  I'm not interested in cocked hat (at least not at this time  ;) ).

I know about Dirty Billy in Gettysburg.  Are there any other suppliers that might be able to do the job?

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

SQQ

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 474
Re: Need a New Hat
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 10:16:36 AM »
S & S Firearms have 1905 and 1902 bell crown caps. Is this what you're looking for?

www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MH316

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 10:45:02 AM »
I was tought, If I had nothing good to say about someone ...say nothing  :-\

In regards to Dirty Billy.... he does do nice hats... but he's not called Dirty Billy for nothing  ::) customer friendly wise.
I'm just saying  ;)

Might try Tim Bender (Hats).... fine hat , fine guy  ;) or Clearwater Hats...

when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:18:35 AM »

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 10:40:35 AM »
Apparently, S&S doesn't believe in pictures.  What's the point?!!!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 12:01:33 PM »
Their catalog (paper) has pictures.  They are also on the downloadable catalog.  I don't why they haven't put pictures on their online catalog.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 03:17:14 PM »
I have their 1902 hat.  Its a very good hat, well worth what they're offering.  Download the catalog, its worth it as well.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 08:20:46 PM »
I second the niceness of Dirty Billy's hats.

He is very gruff; however, I will say when my hat was not shipped to my new duty station and he found where his "guy" had gotten the updated info - he did send my hat (which had been returned to the store from old residence) 2 day express to my new duty station.

I am hoping to get up to Gettysburg on a day where the retail store is open and just do business with him that way.

The S&S hat looks good!

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 08:42:56 PM »
I've got a Dirty Billy Hat.  I'm wearing it to the left here.  Its  a great hat, worth the money and the wait.  If you want to deal with him, send in the order, then forget about it.  He's a master of his art, and being a crusty SOB seems to come with that territory.  Don't try to contact him, ain't worth it.  It'll be a nice surprise when it shows up!  The S&S hat is a fine substitute until then.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 07:37:21 PM »
I wish to thank everyone for the information!!!   :)

I downloaded the S&S Catalog some time back and their offering is right now the "front runner."  Good to know it is of good quality.

The comments here about Dirty Billy echo what most folks have said about him in other places (outstanding product, poor interpersonal skills).  The other two sources recommended don't seem to offer anything from this period.  I did not contact them.  If they do "off website" work please let me know.

One reason I was looking for a finished product is that I want to make this a hat for an CDR/CAPT.  That means embroidery ("scrambled eggs") for the bill.  So far I've had no luck finding a quality offering.  I've seen a few "add ons" for ball caps but they were not what I'd use on a good, period hat.  The design is the same as today, but the size is different because the bill size is different.  If I can't find embroidery, or find someone to reproduce it from a photo or even a modern had, I may just have to demote myself.   :(

Again, thank you for the assistance.

SQQ

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 07:41:34 PM »
Call (on the phone) the folks at Coon Creek Old West.  If he don't have it, he knows where to find it! 

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 09:02:52 PM »
Buck and Leta are the antithesis of Dirty Billy when it comes to customer service.
Perhaps we should take up a collection to send Leta to Gettysburg to give some customer service lessons - what think you all?
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 06:56:07 AM »
I would'nt ask her to waste her time....

DB is the poster child for "ASS HAT" and he wears it so well  ::)
when planets align...do the deal !

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 08:45:21 AM »
Call (on the phone) the folks at Coon Creek Old West.  If he don't have it, he knows where to find it! 

Thank you.  I'll try them.

I've attached a photo of me in the Aviation Khaki uniform based on the M1912 Marine Corps khaki (from Schipperfabrik).  In this version, with this cover, I'm closer to the summer of 1918 (to about 1923) than about anything else.  It's still a work in progress.

SQQ

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 10:58:42 PM »
What pier is the Langley tied to, or is she out at a mooring bouy
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2011, 09:26:32 AM »
What pier is the Langley tied to, or is she out at a mooring bouy

I suspect I shaved with part of her this a.m.   ;)

Of course that would mean they salvaged metal from the wreck.   :)  LANGLEY was converted in 1920 as CV-1 and sunk in 1942 while serving as a seaplane tender.

During some research a while back I was surprised at the scope of NavAir during the Great War.  There were Naval Air Stations from Italy to Ireland.  Some Naval Aviators flew with British squadrons.  I don't know of any that few with the French but it might well have happened.

According to lore, the first use of air-ground ordnace from a Naval Aircraft occured during the Occupation of Vera Cruz.  LTJG Patrick Bellinger returned from a flight and found bullet holes in his aircraft.  He is the first Naval Aviator to actually take fire.  He was annoyed an this, but was forbidden by his superiors to carry any weapons or ordiance aloft.  So on his next flight he carried a sack containing bars of yellow soap.  He "buzzed" the position he thought shot at him and threw cakes of soap at them.  I guess you can interpret that on many levels.   ;D

If I ever win the lottery I'll get a Jenny and work the airshow circuit.   :)

SQQ

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2011, 07:57:19 PM »
Your handle would not have anything to do with a Gary Puckett and the union gap song from back around 67-68 would it or a 63 Bobby Vee hiit with a Steve Lawrence and Carole King Song would it?
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 02:54:29 PM »
Your handle would not have anything to do with a Gary Puckett and the union gap song from back around 67-68 would it or a 63 Bobby Vee hiit with a Steve Lawrence and Carole King Song would it?

No, Sir, I'm a Dedicated Marxist.  I've studied the writings of Groucho, and Chico extensively.  Karl and Harpo, not so much!!!!!   :D

SQQ

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com