Author Topic: Does finish affects value?  (Read 1882 times)

Offline Pony Edwards

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Does finish affects value?
« on: August 31, 2014, 10:47:13 AM »
To Group: due to the unique nature of western action shooting, I know several old pistols have been refurbished and reblued. From a collectors standpoint, I believe that lessens the value, but from a W.A.S. standpoint does it matter? Is a new looking original preferable to a worn finish, or is it just shooters preference?

I have a 6000 range, four digit S&W commercial model Russian I acquired some years back, just as the Uberti's were starting to come into the U.S. I paid about what a then new uberti would have been. It's a grand shooter, but times have changed a bit for me, and I need to find a new home for it. When I saw it on the table I mistook it for a new uberti, due to its finish. If I can't get what I need out of it, I may have to have a friend properly age it, to try to restore its value.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Does finish affects value?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 11:27:52 AM »
If it looked 'that' good when you first bought it - it was likely already a refinished piece.

That said, its value had already been lowered quite a bit, so having it 'aged' will make it a 'twice-refinished' piece and will lower the value even more.

Don't do that - just clean it and take good, clear pictures of it and price it fairly - you should be able to sell it easily in it's 'once-refinished' state.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com