Author Topic: It's a love hate kind of thing  (Read 3383 times)

Offline rdstrain49

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
It's a love hate kind of thing
« on: February 02, 2014, 11:09:08 PM »
I've had and shot an original New Model No 3 for over 50 years.  About three weeks ago I acquired a Uberti No 3 Russian.  Trigger was one of the worst I've ever seen (over 20 lbs, lots of creep and very rough), fit of the lock work was terrible, exterior fit and finish was very good.  About an hour bench time and I've got a very fine weapon.  Action is smooth and trigger breaks like glass at 5 1/4 lbs (about where I like them).  Two weeks ago I happened across a Uberti Schofield.  Once again the trigger was bad (not as bad) and all the other short comings were present.  This time however the weapon shot way left.  A little bench time and once again smooth 5 lb trigger etc.  Getting the rear sight dialed in took 4 days.  R&R the sight file a bit, shoot and repeat.  Finally all's good.  Last week a long ordered Uberti Russian in 44 Russian came in.  A repeat of the first two but this time I had to use an impact driver to remove the cylinder stop screw and all three side plate screws and the weapon contained broken parts NEW UNFIRED FROM THE FACTORY.  End  result was the same as the first two.  I've already put several hundred rounds (mostly black powder) through the first Russian and the Scholfield and could not be more pleased.  I love the No 3s, both old and new, but I just hate that for the exorbitant price of the Uberti No 3s, all you really get is a kit to build a fine weapon.  Can't wait for the next one.

Offline Charlie Prince

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: It's a love hate kind of thing
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 05:13:43 PM »
I concur wholeheartedly!

I have three Schofields; two of them 7" in .45 LC, and one in 5" in .38 Spl. All three of them had varying degrees of trigger feel. I wound up removing the trigger block from all three of them over time, which vastly improved trigger feel all on its own. Later on, I dressed up the insides like they should have been at the factory.

They're really expensive guns, and the outsides are finished extremely well, but the works are usually on the rough side. My first Schofield's trigger was off my trigger scale (somewhere over 20 lbs) and I couldn't even finish a casual session at the indoor range with it, as the horrible trigger wore out my finger. The others weren't as bad, but still had very poor trigger feel compared to an SAA-type gun from Uberti.

However, if one is brave enough to crack one open and have a go at it, then these guns are very rewarding to shoot and holster. They point very well (for me), are very accurate, and their heavy weight soaks up a lot of recoil. The break action can be tuned to your desire with the turn of a screw, and will always get someone's attention. Just the way the look is super cool- I always likened them to something from the art-deco school of design, like a 1930s Cadillac. Very classy.

If someone was curious about buying one, I would recommend doing their best to seek one out in person to at least get a feel for them. They're not for everyone. But, if you have the means, and you know they fit you, I recommend taking the plunge.

Offline rdstrain49

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 11:44:40 PM »
Agreed, in spite of all the shortcomings from the factory I am quite satisfied.  I just wish that I could find a New Model or two.

BTW, not sure what a trigger block is.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:15:16 PM »

Offline Jack Straw

• Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #1562
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 05:40:53 PM »
Indeed, the Schof is not for everyone.  They are expensive and tuning them can be problematic if you don't take the time to fully understand the differences between the Smith and the SAA Colt lockwork and particularly the springing.   There are some pards who have 'em figured out and will happily share info.   I've swapped notes with Tom Horn from this forum and we've helped each other out a bit.

I've owned four Uberti Schofields in .45 Colt and have used them in hundreds of CAS matches with fine results.  I think there's no better gun for duelist style.  The barrel axis sits low in the hand and recoil tends to push straight back with minimal muzzle jump.

Back in the 90's when I first started CAS it was common to have a stage that required a reload and that was a hoot with a Schof but a major annoyance to the SAA boys.

As beautiful as the exterior fit and finish is I must say it's a shame they can't pay a little more attention to the trigger pull at the factory. 

Offline rdstrain49

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 08:04:29 PM »
The trigger is indeed problematic.  The good news is they are a very simple design and easy to work on.  The biggest pain that I have encountered is R&R the bolt latch/rear sight.  Nobody was able to provide any suggestions, so I developed my own tool and procedure, now installing the rear sight takes only a matter of seconds.  A tip of the hat to my instructors at the FBI Armorers School (many years ago) who stressed "observe, evaluate, formulate, fabricate, execute" when working on any system that doesn't have a "book".

Offline Gus Walker

• Top Active Citizen
  • The sunny slopes of long ago.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 08:06:45 PM »
 I think i my have posted this before but it helped me working on the Schofields.

http://www.gunreports.com/special_reports/handguns/Smith-Wesson-Schofield-Revolvers150-1.html
Aye its been quite a ride aint it?

Offline rdstrain49

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 08:59:03 AM »
Gus, don't know how I missed your reply.  Thanks, I've saved the information.  Having something of an addiction to the No 3s, information such as this is much appreciated.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com