Author Topic: How much are antique 73s really worth?  (Read 5558 times)

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
How much are antique 73s really worth?
« on: May 05, 2014, 05:56:59 PM »
A local guy is selling his 73 in 32-20 for $2795.  Is that out of line?  http://www.vaguntrader.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/720962/gonew/1#UNREAD

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: How much are antique 73s really worth?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 06:48:46 PM »
Howdy jimbobborg. Looking at the pic;s of that 73 ,my opinion would say that is a bit high on price. The checkering that someone has added takes away from the value of the rifle . The 28" barrel is special order, and would normally bring more money . Cant tell from the pic. if the magazine was cutdown or a  factory half mag. A cut down would bring down the price also, and a factory half mag. brings more in most cases. The .32wcf while a fine cartridge ,in a 73 usually bring,s a little less than say a 44-40 or 38-40.It comes down to what is it worth to the buyer. Personaly I think you could find a 1873 in better condition for the asking price on this one. I am by no means downing the little rifle it could have a home with me ,but not for that ammount.Just my two cents . And worth every cent.,,,,,Dusty

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 08:15:06 PM »
+1 on everything Dusty said.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:13:45 PM »

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 10:22:09 PM »
I'm no expert, but the way antique prices keep climbing, in spite of the economy, with the extra-long barrel, it might be a tad high. You know the old definition of "what it's worth": What a buyer and seller will agree to in an arm's length transaction. I'm not trying to be a smart donkey. Put in a bid at whatever you think you want to pay, or maybe slightly lower to give you negotiating room, and see what happens.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 04:21:34 AM »
I'm just seeing if he's way off base on this price.  Most of the 73s I've seen locally are under $2000.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 05:53:38 AM »
I agree with Dusty Texian's assessment.  Its not hard to find a better rifle for less money if you look around.  I've got no dog in this, but here's an example of a pretty nice .32 WCF model 1873 for what I'd consider a much more reasonable price.  Its the 15th rifle down on this list.

http://www.fulmersantiqueguns.com/listing.asp
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 08:08:56 AM »
It always depends on the caliber, custom features, condition, date it was made and who owned it.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline KirkD

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 06:08:59 PM »
I agree with Dusty Texian as well. Price is about $1,000 too high and the non-factory checkering is unfortunate. Keep searching for an honest '73, or see if the fellow will come down about $1,200.

Offline griswold

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 05:47:14 PM »
Prices have sure changed.........I remember back in 1979 I was wandering around a gun store in west Fort Worth, (not sure it is there now) and stumbled across a 1873 in 32-20.....weapon was almost silver in color, no bluing or case harding color at all.......dust cover was missing, everything else worked and in place..........Price $100.00........and I didn't by it cause I wanted a 44-40..........

Some one shoot me...........ahhhhhh.
Griswold,
The Griswold was favored by my Great Grand Pa James Henry Story who rode with the 7th Georgia Cavalry.

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 08:16:10 PM »
Prices have sure changed.........I remember back in 1979 I was wandering around a gun store in west Fort Worth, (not sure it is there now) and stumbled across a 1873 in 32-20.....weapon was almost silver in color, no bluing or case harding color at all.......dust cover was missing, everything else worked and in place..........Price $100.00........and I didn't by it cause I wanted a 44-40..........

Some one shoot me...........ahhhhhh.

1990, I found a Colt SAA in .45 Colt, made in 1918, all original, $400.  No, I didn't buy it  :'( 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com