Author Topic: NMV vs OMV  (Read 7259 times)

Offline Pappy Myles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
NMV vs OMV
« on: December 22, 2008, 11:00:02 PM »
ok Pards

a little trip down memory lane.   I started out with OMV's in 45 colt  5 1/2.   Still got em.  Still use them.  Still love'em
Bought a pair of SS OMV's for the better half in 38/357 to get her started in the sport.     And at a local gun show picked up an OMV SS   45 colt in 7 1/2" just for giggles.    Never held the NMV or shot one.

Several months ago I acquired a pair of COLT's   ( yeah   I know    a 4 letter word) in 44-40.  Just because the proce was right and I wanted to try the 44-40 cartridge.    I do like the COLT's   but still   prefer the OMV's in 45.

Those that have both the OMV and the NMV, what do you think of the NMV?     ( Yep   this is a 3 year old question....)   I'm thinking of getting a pair on NMV in 45 colt SS.

Comments
NRA Patron Member
NRA Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
TSRA Life Member
USMC Vet
Dirty RAT # 308
Life SASS # 59784 ROI and ROII

Offline L.G.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: NMV vs OMV
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 08:28:21 AM »
The NMV's feel downright dainty in my hands compared to my OMV Bisleys, but they shoot nice, and the missus liked them enough that they became her own.....
SASS #48097
NRA #2008175
Gateway Shootist Society
Member of The Torque and Recoil Club
WartHog
B.O.S.S. #19
RATS #130
http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/Slingshot383

Offline Will Blastem

• Top Active Citizen
  • You stage 'em...Will Blastem
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 06:13:44 PM »
I don't own any OMV's  but my shootin Pard has 2 pair (one brace are Bisleys). I own 2 pair of NRV's

I have shot his quite a bit and about the only differences I can see and feel is the OMV is beefier because it's BIGGER by about 10-15%...
My NRV's are the size of Colts and fit my smaller hands better. They also automatically line up a charge hole when opening the gate and his OMV's do not. The NRV's have a factory capability of a free spin pawl but I don't think the OMV does.
The NRV's appear to be smoother out of the box than the OMV's and have a 17lb main spring compared to the OMV at 21 lbs.
JMHO ;)
You Stage 'em, Will Blastem
KC's Corral at Black Creek
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
Hiram's Rangers #25
RATS #314
Vietnam  Ist Air Cav 67-68

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:36:46 PM »

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 08:40:45 PM »
Howdy Gents

I'm 6' 4" tall and a big pard ta boot, but I love the new model Vaquero, even with big hands I've always thought the Colt SAA was the best feeling sixgun, in my hand, and I shot a pair of second generation 45 long Colts with 5 1/2" barrels for many years, when the Ruger Vaquero first came out, I tried it , and found it to be clunky and slow, this doesn't mean I don't like the OMRV, but it just didn't feel good in my hands like the old Colt SAA does, When Ruger came out with their New Model Vaquero, I wasn't too excited because of my first impression of the OMV, but when I had the opportunity to handle the new Vaquero, I was blown away, it felt great in the hand, it was quick and responsive and pointed well, the action was SMOOTH right out of the box, and now the Vaquero indexed like the SAA, but you didn't have to put it on half cock to load or unload just open the loading gate, load and when done loading close the loading gate, great engineering, so even though it is not a Colt SAA, I feel Ruger got everything right with this New Vaquero, I bought two and couldn't happier. ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com