Author Topic: US Scout: Possible Tweak for Brigade Champion (Your PM is down)  (Read 5374 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
US Scout: Possible Tweak for Brigade Champion (Your PM is down)
« on: September 21, 2007, 06:18:14 PM »
SAR!

First of all, congratulations on a well done Muster, as the CO must always assume both credit and blame for the performance of his command.   ;D

I also think that the new "Brigade Champion" format is inspired, as it addresses the greatest Nit I've had to pick with the current CAS sports, the overall champion from such disparate shooting forms. 

HOWSUMEVER, I'd like to add language to the Brigade Champion directives.  Currently the BC is to be chosen from the Multi-Gun Milspec Catagories, as it primarily should be in a Milspec driven organization such as ours.  Yet I believe we need to allow for extraordinary efforts that may be made outside of these classes that well fit the purpose and spirit of the GAF.

For examply, say someone, (Who possibly could it be . . .) shoots Scout, Militia class.  But does it in full NWMP regalia, with proper Enfield sidearm, using a NWMP spec Winchester M1876 in the correct .45-75 caliber, all loaded with BP. Stiff upper lip, God Save the Queen.  Surely this is an extraordinary effort, fully in the desired spirit of the GAF.  Such an effort should be considered.

Or perhaps someone shows up fully kitted out M1881 US Army, right down to his Martialy marked 7.5" Colt SAA.  Mills belt, Flap holster, Correct "H" buckle, all ammo Milspec BP loaded, shooting Forager class with an M1881 Springfield Trapdoor 20 Ga. shotgun.  Surely this is worthy of consideration.

A simple language insertion, perhaps "though it is understood that primary consideration for the award of Brigade Champion shall be done from the ranks of the Milspec Catagories, extraordinary effort in the Spirit of the GAF in any class can and will be recognized should need be."

For your consideration, SAR!

My complliments,  MAAGAF Drydock.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
Re: US Scout: Possible Tweak for Brigade Champion (Your PM is down)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 09:17:51 AM »
Some excellent points, which I must admit, that I didn't think of when I outlilned the criteria for Brigade Champion.  I will certainly take your suggestion under consideration and see how we can revise the criteria for Brigade Champion to include those who meet the spirit while using a firearm that doesn't quite fit into the mil-spec battle rifle category.

As for the Grand Muster, a good commander insures the credit goes to the subordinates, but accepts the blame when it goes wrong.  I'm pleased that I can pass the credit along to all those who did the hard work in putting on a very fine Muster.  Given that this was our first Grand Muster in which people from all across the GAF georgraphical area participated in putting it together, they all deserve a hearty Well Done for their accomplishment.

US Scout
GAF, Commanding

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 12:38:55 PM »
What if Someone like RJR documented the use of his NWMP winchester to the unit he was portraying? That gets us past the firearm requirement yet satisfies the spirit of the requirement.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Advertising

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 01:49:06 PM »
Interesting discussion ... especially in view of my acquisition of Chapparal Arms repro NWMP carbine
in the original .45-75 chambering!  (Dang thing arrived the day before I left for Muster, so I've only
had limited opportunity to fondle it, so far ...  :-\ )

Although this configuration of the 1876 winchester is best known for its service as the primary Mounted
Police longarm from 1878 through 1905 (with many remaining in service until at least 1914) it is not so
well known that approximately 700 of them also were issued to troops by the Department of Militia &
Defence during the 1885 North West Rebellion.

There were approximately 6,000 troops involved (west of the Great Lakes) in the North West Rebellion
campaign - the majority of those were "Active Militia" from Ontario, Quebec and Nova Scotia (i.e. "part time"
militia, mobilized for the emergency) together with most of the "Permanent Militia" units (i.e. "full time" militia,
who were the closest thing Canada had to an actual army at that time - it had just been formed in 1883
at a total authorized strength of only 750 men, with Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery components.) 

All of these men, being serving Militia, would already have firearms (mostly Snider-Enfield rifles and carbines)
on issue to them.  However, many more firearms firearms were also issued to Provisional Militia units raised
in the North West specifically for service in the conflict or to Home Guard units in various communities in
the North West.  (Additionally, I presume that mobilized Eastern Militia units would also have been issued
replacement firearms for any on issue to them which were found unserviceable prior to their departure for
the West.)

Winchester carbines/rifles were issued to mounted provisional units (e.g. the Dominion Land Surveyors
Intelligence Corps, the Moose Mountain Scouts, and the Rocky Mountain Rangers - these were officially
constituted military units, although they served un-uniformed.)  The Model 1876 Winchester was also issued
to the Permanent Militia cavalry unit (the Cavalry School Corps Troop A) and the two Active Militia cavalry
units (the Governor-General's Body Guard and the Winnipeg Cavalry Troop) serving in the North
West, in replacement for their single-shot Snider-Enfield cavalry carbines.

Here is a period photograph of some members of the Governor-General's Body Guard (now the
Governor-General's Horse Guard) in camp at Humboldt, District of Saskatchewan, NWT, during their
service in the 1885 Rebellion.   The '76 Winchester carbines are clearly visible ... 
(Click thumbnails to enlarge ...)

It should also be noted that many of the Provisional mounted militia units (notably the Rocky Mountain Rangers)
were only issued firearms "as needed" - enlistees in most of these units were expected to provide their own
firearms, mount and other gear, if possible ...  For example, the general terms under which the raising of the Rocky
Mountain Rangers was authorized by the Minister of Militia & Defence included the following:
"The arms to consist of 1 revolver Mounted Police pattern or any other serviceable Revolver in their possession.
One Winchester carbine or other serviceable Carbine or Rifle in their possession.
1 Cartridge belt with knife attached (M.P. pattern.)   
(A limited deficiency in Arms to be supplied by Government, but the conditions of enlistment to require them furnished
by the men.)"

Here is a period photograph of a member of the Rocky Mountain Rangers, an irregular (i.e. non-uniformed) mounted
unit of mostly ranchers and cowboys.  Although the lever has been erased for some reason (presumably during
re-touching or whatever) his rifle is clearly of the NWMP pattern ...

Here is a photograph of a group of Rangers on patrol - the rifles carried NWMP-fashion across the saddle pommel
on the horses on the left appear to be NWMP-pattern, but the rifle held by the man kneeling in front is clearly
a non-issue half-stocked model ....

Here is a group of NWMP scouts and Rocky Mountain Rangers, photographed at Fort McLeod ...

To show what I meant about the rifles being carried across the pommel "NWMP-fashion", here is a photograph
of a North West Mounted Police rig of the period (western-style stock saddles were used) followed by a period
photo of a NWMP Constable and his mount ...

Here are a few more period images ....

First, Officers and Scouts of the Rocky Mountain Rangers photographed at Medicine Hat  -

Notice that most of them are carrying their rifles across the saddle pommel, and that the fellow on the left, at least,
definitley has the NWMP-pattern Winchester.  On the far right is Chief Scout "Kootenai" Brown ....

Here is a Rocky Mountain Ranger Patrol formed up on the outskirts of Medicine Hat - "Kootenai" Brown is in the lead
farthest from the camera, with Captain Lord Richard Boyle riding beside him.  At the far left (flanking the column) is
Major John Stewart, C/O of the RMR, with Lord Boyle's brother Lt. Henry Boyl riding beside him ....  Again, many of
the men in this photo are carrying their rifles across the pommel -

Getting back to the NWMP and their Winchesters, here are a couple of interesting photos of members of the
NWMP contingent who were sent to London in 1897 to attend Queen Victoria's 60th Jubilee celebration (60th
year of her reign) -

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Top Kick Ken

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oscar S. Johnson, GAR, My Great Grandfather.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 04:34:17 PM »
It sounds to me like there is room to make this type of "fix" to the way things currently are.  I would support the change.  Given the "spirit of the game" that most of the participants in SASS, NCOWS, GAF display, I think that it would allow us to be an "all-inclusive" of those who choose to portray the little known or "mainstream obscure" units the were quasi-military or "uniquely" military.

Just my .02 cents.

Top Kick Ken
Respectfully Submitted,

Top Kick Ken
Sergeant Major, Department of the Pacific
Grand Army of the Frontier

GAF #71
BOLD #943
SASS #47880L

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 01:44:30 PM »
Rattlesnake Jack,

In looking at the pictures of the "Govenors Guard"  It looks as if stripes are only on the right sleave of the sgt in the center of the picture.  Is this the standard of the time for that era?  I do not remember any other Army force that did the rank on one sleave.

Thanks
Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 09:41:16 PM »
Old Top:

You are quite correct in your observation that the rank chevrons are only being worn on the right arm, which was indeed standard practice in the British Empire for that time-frame.

As you may know, use of chevrons (alone or in combination with other symbols) as insignia of rank did not come about in the British Army until at least the end of the 18th Century, or perhaps shortly thereafter ... though they were defintely in use by the culmination of the Napoleonic Wars in 1815.  As you may also be aware, the lowest ranks (e.g. Private, Rifleman, Trooper, etc.) wear no rank chevron - so a single stripe denotes a Lance Corporal, two stripes a Corporal, and so on ...

For most of the 19th century, as near as I can tell (based on period images only, since unfortunately I've never had access to the specific Dress Regulations governing the wearing of NCO ranks) the practice of how the rank chevrons were worn was not standardized, apparently varying from branch to branch ... if not even from regiment to regiment.  I have seen images with chevrons on both sleeves, and others with them worn only on one sleeve - usually the right arm, but I'm also fairly sure I've seen them on the left arm only, also.

However, I gather that the 1881 Dress Regulations standardized the practice of displaying NCO rank insignia on the right arm only, and that practice continued for at least two or three decades.  By the time of WWI, it seems to have been changed to wearing the chevrons on both arms.

Canadian military forces and their governing regulations were technically separate from the British Army after 1855, but tended to rather slavishly follow the British rules and practices (as did the other self-governing Dominions and colonies, for the most part.)

Here is a period photograph (tinted) clearly showing the practice as late as the Second Anglo-Boer War (1899-1902) -
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 01:45:06 AM »
Rattlesnake Jack,

Thank you for the reply.  I know that the US force went to a single are chevron but I belive that it was due to a change to a different chevron and not enough supply on hand.  I also noticed that the sgt. had a broader hat band, but that all of the trouser stripes were the same, a bit different from the US as they had different width stripes for different ranks.  I find it interesting how things are similar but different with different Armies.  ( I know DUH)  But they follow the same patterns.

Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com