Author Topic: Tex's Editorial in the Cowboy Chronicle  (Read 6721 times)

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Tex's Editorial in the Cowboy Chronicle
« on: November 29, 2006, 08:47:37 PM »
Did y'all happen to read Tex's article in the Cowboy Chronicle?  He gave a nice nod to The Military Catagory.  Would be nice to see it come to fruition.
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
Re: Tex's Editorial in the Cowboy Chronicle
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 09:53:59 AM »
Yep!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 11:40:31 AM »
I don't get the CC. Any chance of posting it here?

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:30:50 AM »

Offline Captain Barrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 12:14:45 PM »
Major,

For those who went to a public skool like me, can you summarize your article about the Military category? I seem to remember you suggested using only two flap holsters for the revolvers. My only qualm with that is about how an "ungraceful" person like me can perform a SAFE and proper draw the revolver and still do well on time. Think we can start another thread discussing how to SAFELY and properly draw a revolver with one hand from a flap holster?
Your humble, obedient servant,

David P. Barrett
Captain, 1st U.S. Infantry Regiment
Regimental Adjutant

"...For I am as constant as the Northern Star..."

GAF #2

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 02:59:14 PM »
I'll be at the SASS Convention next week and I'm going to try and buttonhole Tex to (1) encourage his idea and (2) let him know that we in the GAF are charging ahead on that very issue.  Heck, I may even try and recruit him.

US Scout
GAF, Commanding

Offline Gripmaker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 03:03:52 PM »
Capt. Barrett,  There is no way to safely and RAPIDLY (that word's meaning being relative) drawing a revolver from a military style flap holster with one hand. That is why the last century's military was taught to do it with two hands. If this is required for all contestants, all would be equally handicapped.  All one needs do is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 06:23:04 PM »
Major,

For those who went to a public skool like me, can you summarize your article about the Military category? I seem to remember you suggested using only two flap holsters for the revolvers. My only qualm with that is about how an "ungraceful" person like me can perform a SAFE and proper draw the revolver and still do well on time. Think we can start another thread discussing how to SAFELY and properly draw a revolver with one hand from a flap holster?

Cap,

I will ask that you do  a search through the The Barracks threads.  I have posted it at least 3 times so it will be easy to find.  I am concerned with any ungraceful person getting within a mile of a gun. 

Just so all know, I won the Kansas State Duelist Championship with two flapped holsters.  There is a way to do it safely and fast.

Scout,

Thank you in advance for any advocacy that you do for the catagory, and if you get Tex to join, I think you would rate a Star of Merit ;)
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Joe Lafives

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 06:30:53 PM »
Major:
Course you know my stand BUT I would like you to entertain something.  In Packing Iron on page 31 (i think) there is a picture of a soldier with a holster that does NOT have a flap on it.  It might be best to use that as a precedent and allow say Slim Jim style holsters (these after all were based on the military style) -  it might get rid of objections to the category ( on that ground at least)
SASS 5481L

"Chewing gum online,  I hope you brought enough for everybody."

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 06:54:22 PM »
Joe,

Tex himself suggested the two flapped holsters as part of a making the catagory different.  I think it's a good idea.  If you look at the guidelines, I had to strattle the line between History, Hollywood, Practicallity and Ease of Governance and Implementation.  I have learned that creating a catagory is more about compromise than anything. 

I just want to get a catagory out there that is fun, safe, competitive and easy to implement.  I don't want to go changing a bunch of things right before we go before the TG's and make us look like a bunch of Keystone Cops unworthy of a catagory.
Major Matt Lewis

Offline Lou Graham

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 07:58:09 PM »
I'm not big on adding new categories but I'll share a couple of ideas I've picked up this season.

SASS shoots have had a growing movement for a Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter category.  It's no help to me  -- closest lady BPGF's I know are all on the other side of the Mississippi  ;D

HOWEVER, when a monthly, state or regional shoot offered that category pending the signup of ___ shooters (3, 5, or some other minimum number)  I threw in with the fellers and signed up to help out with making the minimum.  

All you need to do is set up the requirements and get a few folks to agree to sign up and a few matches to offer it.  Showing there's a group that wants it goes a long way to getting the momentum to get it on the TG's agenda.  It would also help to "dry run" the requirements for adjustment before formal creation.  That's pretty much how the B Western category got off the ground.  

The Military category is at the opposite end of the spectrum from B Western.  Even though I don't like the idea of more categories, I'd almost be willing to say we NEED the military category to maintain balance in the universe ;D

You fellers with cool uniforms and gear try getting some matches to offer it if __ number of people sign up.
Soot Lady
You can never be too thin, too rich or have too much ammo

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 10:56:48 PM »
Boy howdy Capt. LOU, ya gots brains and are purtty too! :D :-* :o ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Missouri Marshal

• Top Active Citizen
    • Missouri Marshal's Cowboy Action Shooting Homestead
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 06:23:09 AM »
PLEASE....NO MORE CATEGORIES!  We have too many already and need to look at eliminating some, not creating more.  Especially ones based on costuming and not shooting.
NRA Life, SASS Regulator, TG Pungo Posse, TG Mattaponi Sundowners, DTP, RATS #132
CLICK HERE FOR MY CAS CITY PROFILE
AND CHECK OUT THE LOADING BLOCKS IN THE CLASSIFIEDS

Offline Captain Barrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2006, 12:43:17 PM »
Major,

I will ask that you do  a search through the The Barracks threads.  I have posted it at least 3 times so it will be easy to find.  I am concerned with any ungraceful person getting within a mile of a gun. 

Just so all know, I won the Kansas State Duelist Championship with two flapped holsters.  There is a way to do it safely and fast.
Not that I am "ungraceful," but rather JUST SLIGHTLY "clumsy" at a lose due to lack of practice (especially over the past few years and I WOULD practice before returning to a match), I suggest condensing all your and others knowledge about shooting from flap holsters and posting a web page on the GAF site. That would be a very worthy addition...
Your humble, obedient servant,

David P. Barrett
Captain, 1st U.S. Infantry Regiment
Regimental Adjutant

"...For I am as constant as the Northern Star..."

GAF #2

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2006, 01:48:17 PM »
A Military category is enticing to me.

If it is approved - I think the holster flap issue must be explained correctly though.

For a Naval impression the pistol holsters of the period were frog holsters (gun buckets) with a strap of leather instead of a flap.  As long as their is wording to explain what would be approved - holsetr wise -  I am fine with it. 

Of couse since I wear and shoot how I do without a military category - it would not stop me from shooting wearing my uniform and leather - just be weird to not be in the military category if there is one developed because I shoot with period correct Naval holsters.

Anyway - I think the article and work MML has done deserves a SOM!!

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2006, 04:36:59 PM »
Major,
Not that I am "ungraceful," but rather JUST SLIGHTLY "clumsy" at a lose due to lack of practice (especially over the past few years and I WOULD practice before returning to a match), I suggest condensing all your and others knowledge about shooting from flap holsters and posting a web page on the GAF site. That would be a very worthy addition...

Cap,

Don't worry.  If the catagory gets a trial...I will write an article for the Chronicle that will help promote the catagory and answer all the questions.  I will then send it to Bull to load up to the site if he wished.
Major Matt Lewis

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 474
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2006, 04:57:09 PM »
I guess my only thought is that right now the ONLY organization dedicated to the military action shooter in the 1865-1900 era is GAF.

I think we would be better served by promoting GAF activities within the various shooting venues, i.e., encouraging members to request to be squaded together as a GAF unit when attending a particular event; organizing Color Guards; offering community demonstrations/workshops; and conducting Regional and the National Musters, all of which will maintain our unique identity.

By seeking to have other organizations create their own military categories it may introduce restrictions different from our mission statement or dilute the esprit d'corps.

Just my 2 cents.

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2006, 05:04:53 PM »
When I took SASS RO I, I specifically asked about the use of the "cavalry twist" and was informed that it was allowed but had to be safely and properly executed -which it can be with practice.  

However, in my experience most ROs aren't comfortable with the cavalry draw so don't allow it, and don't even allow the shooter to demonstrate that he can do it correctly and safely.  One RO once had me do the cross draw shuffle for both pistols - which totally screwed me up since I had the cavalry twist down cold and would automatically attempt to draw that way until I remembered I had to switch hands and swivel myself.  

I know Tex favors a military impression from time to time, and he would be an invaluable supporter to those of us who like to shoot in uniform.  Personally, I don't think we need a new SASS category per se as much as we need a better definition and label for the "Classic Cowboy" category so that it is more acceptable to those who want to accurately attire themselves as cowboys, soldiers, townsmen, or whatever.  The GAF has established at their Musters that the cavalry twist can be done safely, so we should be able to contribute our practice experience to any SASS decision.

US Scout
GAF, Commanding

Offline Rap Scallion

• Active citizen
  • Strikingly Handsome
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2006, 09:53:01 PM »
 ???  Just to throw my 3 pesos into the fray............

I don't care whether or not they allow and sanction the "Military" category...........however one so inclined to get decked out as some form of military accouterments, should have studied and looked at Garrison and Field uniforms!  In that study he will have found out that normal sidearms were not usually worn or carried except fior guard or cermonial purposes.  That field duties were less strict than the parade grounds and that there was a plethora of gun buckets, uniform modifications and a less than strict military spit and polish and regulations.  There was a lot of civilian equipment, both gun leather and clothing worn and used when out away from the military base on patrol or scout.  AND most troopers didn't pack around 2 7.5 inch SAA Colts, in holsters with or without flaps! ::)

Something to think about when the costume police start issuing uniform regs............
W G Martin
Live Oak, Texas
USMC 1959-70 RVN Vet
NRA/TSRA/SASS#54735

To ride hard, shoot straight, and tell the truth!

Lex et Libertas -- Semper Vigilo, Paratus, et Fidelis!

Offline Gripmaker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2006, 10:22:30 PM »
Gotta agree with Scout and River City John. Why seek to promote what we already have in operation into another organization?  We are a unique group and I believe all GAF members are in some other CAS org. also so we should be promoting GAF and seeking to incorporate our style in SASS, WASA, etc without losing our identity by trying to establish "new catagories" that would diminish our role in CAS. We have all worked too hard to make this a viable shooting option to get lost in the CAS community.  We have been allowed to establish a Posse within NCOWS so why not do the same with the others?

Offline Frenchie

• "We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Photo by Julio Zangroniz @ "September Storm", 2007
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2006, 11:39:21 PM »
Something to think about when the costume police start issuing uniform regs............

Well, Rap, most if not all of us in the GAF who are into the military impressions have already studied the garrison and field uniforms. We generally wear field uniforms when shooting and dress uniforms for the formal occasions, but the GAF has nothing in its stated purpose that speaks to the proper uniform to be worn when doing anything - in fact, uniforms aren't even required. We don't need to issue no stinking uniform regs, because they were issued many years ago and no one I know in the GAF has any interest in re-inventing the wheel - I know I don't. You want to shoot in your Admiral of the Turkish Navy full-blown dress uniform, you go right ahead, we'll give you the same latitude and attitude everyone else gets  8)

Btw, I'm sure you didn't mean for "costume police" to sound as insulting as some might take it to be...
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vĂȘtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com