Author Topic: WTB Spencer Carbine  (Read 633 times)

Offline C. Note

• Active citizen
  • SASS #: 2029
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
WTB Spencer Carbine
« on: March 19, 2023, 02:12:37 PM »
Hello,
I recently requested to join the Society.

I wish to purchase a Spencer carbine.  I think that the repro would suit my purposes and wallet, better. Just missed a Chiappa
56-50 repro through Proxibid. Didn;t get my bid in fast enough. It sold for $1,000 plus20% buyer premium.

Anyway.....I wish to acquire one for CAS and cool recreational shooting. I've heard that 56-50 would be a better choice(and historically accurate). Am not finding any ammo nor brass (Starline backordered).

Any pre-purchase advice is welcomed.

Thanks,
Jason

Offline Sedalia Dave

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99699
  • NCOWS #: 3836
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 184
Re: WTB Spencer Carbine
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 07:17:57 PM »
First take the time to read all the relevant posts in this forum about loading for the Spencer. There is a treasure trove of information here if you spend the time looking for it.

Don't wait for the brass to be listed as in stock, Go ahead and place a backorder for the brass. When Starline gets enough back orders they'll make a batch. They are filled first come first served.

56-50 has significantly fewer feeding and extraction issues than any of the other calibers.

Buy RCBS 56-50 dies. They work better for the Taylors 56-50 than the Lyman dies.

You can buy 56-50 bullets but you'll save a bunch of money casting your own.

I like the 51-350S from Accurate molds. When ordering specify to have the crimp groove eliminated. Spencer's are very sensitive to OAL and the crimp groove likely will be in the wrong location.

Don't order the mould until you get your rifle. You'll need to slug the bore and then have the bullet diameter of the mould customized to be .0015" to .002" larger than your bore diameter.

You can buy a sizing die from Buffalo Arms. Get the die .001" larger than what your bore slugs at.

I cast my bullets from either 20-1 lead alloy or WW alloy.

For BP rounds I found that the best accuracy came from full cases of ffg compressed about 1/8" to 3/16"
Smokeless I got the best results from 23.5 grains of 4227.

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 09:32:51 AM »
Hello, C Note/Jason:
Nice to have you aboard.
Dave Gullo at Buffalo Arms in MT is a reliable source for your needs.  Please consider contacting him.  He has standing orders for STARLINE items and is probably further up the back order list. 
I have a large order for 50-70 Sharps cases that has been pending for six months that STARLINE just reaffirmed is in the stack. Smiles.
El Supremo/Kevin Tinny
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:53:01 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com