Author Topic: Chiappa .45 Colt Spencer ....broken  (Read 786 times)

Online Macon Due

• Active citizen
  • SASS #: 29445
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Chiappa .45 Colt Spencer ....broken
« on: August 02, 2023, 04:35:01 PM »
Hi all. I was finally able to purchase a Cimarron Spencer in .45 Colt. I fired it 28 times and had a few minor feeding problems. Then I took it home, cleaned it and the next day I loaded 50 rds. to exactly 1.600" as recommended in the manual for the Spencer. I still had a few feeding problems so I went back to the shop and seated 7 of the rounds  bullets a bit deeper to 1.595" OAL. I then tried these and still had a few problems with feeding and now it seemed a bit with extraction. I was not firing these rounds, only working them thru the magazine/action. Anyhow after trying those 7 rds.thru the mag. once I reloaded the mag. with them again. It worked 4 of them through the action and the other 3 would not feed. Then I noticed the action would only open about 2/3 of the way.? This of course would not uncover the magazine to allow a round to feed from it. Today I removed the breech block assmb. and disassembled it. I was hoping to find a broken part etc. but all seemed fine. [ Every screw on this New Cimarron was finger tight only] Anyway after 2 tries at putting it back together and it still not opening but 2/3 of the way I started  reassembling it without a part, checking function and then replacing that part and leaving out another. Naturally the extractor was the last thing I removed and upon reassembly the action now opened fully. When examining the interior of the action with a flash light I can see that in the groove where the extractor rides there are 2 places where it appears the hook edge of the extractor has dug into the metal in the groove and raised a noticeable  burr? One is at the top just under the chamber and the other is about 1/4" up from the bottom of the groove. I cannot help but assume this is my problem? Has anyone else experienced this problem? My thoughts are to attempt to remove these burrs[ gouged up places] from the extractor groove. I am thinking a Dremel with a very small stone run slowly and attempt to smooth the groove out? Does this seem that it might be the solution? Thank you for any help and sorry for such a long post.
Macon Due 29445

Online Macon Due

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Chiappa .45 Colt Spencer ....broken
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2023, 09:52:24 PM »
Well Gents
It appears lots of folks read this but it seems no one has any ideas? So......with that in mind I used a Dremel with the flex shaft and a very small stone and very carefully and gently 
smoothed the burrs in the extractor groove. Of course even a fine stone left it with a sort of 'ground'
 appearing ' surface. So next was fine sandpaper on a sliver of wood which helped a lot. I am hoping to be able to eventually get into the groove with the Dremel using a very small felt tip with compound on it. But for now I lubed it with black moly grease, reassembled it and tested it. So far it works perfectly, and action of course opens all the way and the action is a touch smoother than before. Hopefully the extractor will not cause any more problems. Maybe this ordeal will help someone else.
Macon Due 29445

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2023, 07:48:36 AM »
Your approach makes sense.  Any chance of posting photos?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:20:49 PM »

Online Macon Due

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2023, 12:02:26 PM »
D.J.
I am sorry but I took no photos of the 'ordeal'. I did try to attach a photo of the carbine here but it kept saying my photo was too large so I gave up. I just watched a video on U tube of disassembly and cleaning of the Spencer and took it from there.
Macon

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2023, 04:26:19 AM »
thanks for posting - my son has one of these - its been fine so far (maybe three hundred rounds)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com