Author Topic: Best Powder for 45LC CAS loads (Trail Boss v Tin Star - or what)?  (Read 19338 times)

Offline cal44walker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Best Powder for 45LC CAS loads (Trail Boss v Tin Star - or what)?
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2014, 10:30:22 AM »
I've been using Tin Star as that's what is available here and not much else. I've extensively tried it in 32-20, 38 Special, 38 Long Colt, 38 Short Colt, 45 Long Colt. It is a very clean burning powder and meters very well through all my equipment, Lee, RCBS, Lyman. The real thing that absoloutly has to be achieved with Tin Star is a high enough initial ignition pressure. If the chamber pressure is not high enough then it reacts particularily poorly and inconsistently, much more so than other VV powders like N310/N320. This isn't a problem if you're loading standard loads but for reduced loading then the amount if space in the case has to be reduced to keep chamber pressure up. I shoot very reduced loads and once I got down to around 3.3 grains with a 38 Special and 158 gr bullets I started having terrible ignition inconsistencty. Back up to 3.4 and the problems went away so the window at which this happens seems to be very fine. I solved that problem by cutting 38 brass down to 0.85 inches and seating the bullets deep. I got down to 1.5 grains with consistant ignition and no recoil.

cal44walker

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2014, 04:41:59 PM »
Clays is the powder of choice for the tiny bit of smokeless loading that I do. Also does real fine for 45 acp.
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2014, 10:41:47 PM »
So what did the original poster end up getting?  Enquiring minds want to know  :) 

I use Trail Boss in my 32-20 and I had some .45 Colt with TB.  It's quieter than Unique and has less felt recoil.  I use Unique in my .40 S&W and .38 Special competition rounds.  I use enough Unique in my .40 to reliably cycle the action with 180gr LFP.  That load also gives me the best accuracy (2" groups off hand at 15 yards).  The .38's are used in a 4" Ruger GP100 for IDPA.  I used the low end Unique loads behind 125gr LFN bullets, which gives good accuracy and low recoil. 

Advertising

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2014, 11:40:35 PM »
From what I am seeing at stores and gun shows lately the best powder is "What ever you can get your hands on".  I haven't seen any of my favorite revolve powders for many a moon...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com