Author Topic: Caseys Tru Oil  (Read 1633 times)

Offline reno

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: #810
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Caseys Tru Oil
« on: January 29, 2020, 11:42:01 AM »
How well does Tru Oil wear. I have done a couple, stained them, and then put on  Tru Oil with a finger,  and let they dry 24 hours or more. and they look good, but have not used them much. I used to strip the finish off Uberti grips and stain with old Chestnut miltary stain, and spray with clear satin finish poluratane, and they look good also and wear great.
Thanks

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
Re: Caseys Tru Oil
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 01:58:03 PM »
Tru Oil wears as well as any oil finish. It?s easy to touch up and can be top coated as needed. My preferred way to use it on walnut is thinned for first coat then sanded in to fill. Once filled the surface is cleared of build up then top coated to suit the shine required.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline reno

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 02:42:19 PM »
KS, I also noticed it does not turn the grips dark as I thought it would.
Reno

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:37:38 AM »

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1165
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 06:06:53 PM »
Well, many many lustrum ago, when I was just a seedling, I did a linseed oil finish on a sporsterized mauser...  I seem to recall doing six or more applications, each taking longer to dry than the last.

Then I took it out on my first attempt at a deer hunt fruitless walk slog thru the woods public swamp land in Minnesota. It was raining. The rifle was carried slung the entire time except when I sat exhausted on a stump. I planned on spending a three day weekend, sleeping in the back of my mini pickup, but I left at sundown the first day . Due to the number of bubbas shooting at any sound, any shaking bush, any footstep with their 7mm magnums.... and every bubba I came across was sipping at the pint bottle... except the one with 4 or 5 gutted deer...  Oh and I could follow the path of any running deer by the moving sound of gunfire....

But I digress...  when I got home, the rain had basically stripped the oil from the stock and it was back to square one.

I redid it it with 2 or 3 coats of true oil and buffed it and it had a nice semimatt sheen and held up beautifully for many years.

And tru-oil has been a great durable finish on my C&B pistol grips.

And thats why I took up bowhunting Walking in the woods with a bow.

Yhs
Prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 10:50:19 AM »

Aww Well.  I'm of a different bent.  As a retired Cabinet Maker, I don't consider Oils to be a "finish."  A stain yes.  A finish, ah not so much.  Oil doesn't really protect the wood.  May make us feel good about the look and feel, but doesn't protect the wood.  I use Stains.  Then I seal thing up with a really good Spar Varnish.  Even Polyurethane (NO ... Poly is NOT plastic.  Understand, there is no "Finish" or "Sealer" that will prevent the wood from absorbing moisture.  Also, wood moves.  All by itself.  Annually (at least).  It also moves with changes in relative humidity.  "Finishes" prevent the wood from soaking up moisture like a sponge and discoloring (Rings from drink glasses and Coffee Cups).  My only concession is to use "Satin" rather than Gloss or Hi-Gloss (Weatherby).  I like a nice soft looking Satin finish.  Just me.  All wood to me is "Furniture."

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 194
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 11:51:50 AM »
I like truoil and it seems to hold up ok but then I never hunted hard with my rifles or carried them daily for work. I?ve always put it on heavy to fill in the exposed pores from sanding and removing whiskers and then cut off the excess with 0000 steel wool. Maybe twice if I missed anywhere before sparingly putting on several coats. I?m always pretty impatient when I get to this point and the stock job is getting old to me so I probably quit before I should. Benefits of working for yourself. I will also put in a plug for their Rusty Walnut Stain, it?s what I?ve used on all my milsurp rebuilds posted here.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1165
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 03:57:47 PM »
After the Mauser In The Swamp debacle i tried different things.

Whilst poly varnish, spar varnish, and some of the nautical grade varnishes hold up EXCEEDINGLY well, I personally don't care for the slick plasticy look, and being less than profient at French Polish Finishing varnishing, I always hard a hard time getting it consistantly smooth and even.

I tried Scandihoovian Tongue Oil and was impressed by the finish, but not by the reported carnicognes carcinogeens cancer causing agents and class action suit... Besides that I became concerned about how many Scandihhovian Tongues were needed to create just a pint of the stuff.

By that time I was building kit muzzleloaders, and began buying others peoples crap failed projects to remodel and fell in love with the products Track of The Wolf carried... the Waukashon Woukooshen  the browning solution, the stock stain and Tru-Oil. it was pretty awesome to drive up to their shop and spend a
satruday afternoon gawking.

I have basically stuck with Tru-Oil ever since. ANd I don;t have to worry about depleting the worlds supply of Tongues.

yhs
prof (tongue tied) marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Rebel Dave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 06:54:34 PM »
Another very good protector for gun stocks is Permilyn sealer, and finnish. Its available at Track of the wilf, also. Ive been using it for years, and it holds up. Built a few Civil War muskets using it on the stocks.

Dave

Offline Bunk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 09:44:17 AM »
I did two walnut stocks using True Oil mixed with turpentine 50:50. I applied a coat and let is cure for three days. Wiped it down with green scotch brite and did it again two more times.Ther last thing was a coat of straight True oil and finished with paste wax.
Both guns took a beating on a 21 day long hunt but the stocks stayed just fine. A few dents nothing more. It sees that the turpentine drove the true oil down into the wood was not just a skin on top.
At least it worked for me YMMV.
Bunk

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2020, 11:02:42 AM »

:D  Ah Well Perfesser and Bunk   :D

Harkens back to the old adage, if you ask three Lawyers the same question, How many answers to you get??  At least Six.  Let us remember .... Why.

Most popular "finishes" were originally developed by our ancestral wood workers.  Furniture makers,  Gun makers, ad nauseous.  "They" all had two things in common.  Cheap and Readily Available.  Had nada to do with science.  Wood products, of any kind all had to with making the item presentable to ever changing palate.  No accounting for taste (Cocobolo tastes like crap by the way).  The item just had to look really grand up to the point sale.  Once the customer got it (the item) it was theirs.  Didn't matter if you set a damp glass on it, it left a permanent ugly "ring".  Didn't;t matter you couldn't "fix" the ring.  After all, twaz yours.

Where was I going ..... Oh yea, I remember.

Just think, skipping Tongue Oil saves lots and lots of tongue's from an ugly demise.  However, it shifts the risk to the Tru's.  Just think of the number of Tru's you have to squish to get "Tru-Oil."  Burma Shave

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 194
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 11:46:10 AM »
I feel the same way about the greediness of man in the 60s and 70s to completely exterminate the lovely naugha for their beautiful hydes in order to cover sofas and chairs. So terribly sad. I?ve actually sat in them unknowing of the true evil of man. We know better now but it?s too late for the naughas. I?m ashamed to call myself a human....
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline reno

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2020, 12:06:23 PM »
Thanks to all for the replys.
Reno

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com