Author Topic: How many times can you ??  (Read 6220 times)

Offline Mason Stillwell

• BP C&B SHOOTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
How many times can you ??
« on: December 26, 2006, 03:36:40 PM »
Fire yer cap and ball pistole's  before you have some kind of problems??

Today I did what I call a torture test.

Fired my 58's(short barrel Uberti's) 80 times per each.

Using FFFG Schutezen powder and the 150 gr boolit from my Dick Dastardly mould. EPPUG I think it is called. No lube over the cylinder , No removal of the cylinder between loadings , no wipe downs no NOTHING Cept load and shoot.
I was using the Thompson's PS BP lube on my pure soft lead EPPUG Boolit. Next round loaded very easy.

Still hitting the target's when I quit. I ran out of the EPPUG boolit so might as well go back to the house.

Mason (Happy Camper) Stillwell
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Known early on as Pole Cat Pete
Tar Heel at Heart

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
    • www.cowboy45special.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: How many times can you ??
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 04:24:14 PM »
The EPP UG 150 is a helluva bullet.  Dick Dastardly deserves the credit for bringing us a great innovation.  He put his money on the line to bring a slightly modified version of Pete's design to life.  It does what it's supposed to in C&B and in the C 45 S cartridge.  Just plain slick! 
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 06:06:28 PM »
Ho Mason and AJ,

I've not run the torture test in a ROA using the C&B cylinder, but I did it with the C45Spl brass and the EPP-UG bullet.  I ran a hundred rounds thru the ROA and it was goin' strong.  No hint of quittin' or loosin' accuracy.

This bullet runs into a single ragged hole at 15 yards when I shoot it off sandbags.  Over the graph I'm gettin' 840 fps and it's consistant.

AJs brass is great and this bullet is a good fit with it.  Also, Pete designed it as a C&B bullet and it does that very well.

I've shot it out of my muzzleloader rifle and it's very accurate out of that also.

Thanks for the report Mason.  I jest cast up a bunch and sent 'em along with Silas McFee.  He's goin' to introduce 'em to Minnesota. . .

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:55:54 PM »

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 06:41:54 PM »
Fired my 58's(short barrel Uberti's) 80 times per each.

80 shots? You call that a test? Why I've spilled more powder than that in a day! What if there'd been 100 Indians surrounding you? 1,000?  ;D ;)

Offline Waya

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 07:34:00 PM »
80 shots? You call that a test? Why I've spilled more powder than that in a day! What if there'd been 100 Indians surrounding you? 1,000?  ;D ;)

Well, me being a Native American, I'de have to say,,,, you'de be either dead, or a scalped White Man cos we usually outnumbered you boys, and in most cases were better equipped !! ( No Offence )

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 10:08:01 PM »
Hey Mason,
Ya never said how many grains of that fancy powder was that you used. Was it 3 or 5 grains? ;D ;D ;D

I can get my Ubertis to go about 20-30 rounds using 20grts Goex and about 12 rounds when I use 30grs before they get gummy. One drop of oil on the cylinder face where it rubs the frame frees them up though.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline sundance44`s

• SASS# 61233 and Alamo Kat SASS 79338 , ColdwaterLongRifles , HatchieRunLongRifles .NRA.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • No Place Special , MS.
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 07:43:35 AM »
Did a little test on my Pietta remmie with a pard that was shooting his Uberti remmie both cap and ball style .We were the only ones on the club range that day ...so we sat at the bench and shot the steel targets 100 times each ..both of us were useing 30 grs of goex 3f and .454 balls / We both used a cylinder loading stand like DD sells for loading . After loading each cylinder we both smeared only 2 cylinder holes with a crisco /beeswax mix . We both used remington #10 caps , Neither one of us had a lock up or a fouling problem for the 100 rounds .....and we both dinged the 100 yard buffalo 3 times out of 5 with our last 5 shots . 100 rounds through a cap and ball is alot of dang shooting ... My real reason for this test was for the lube , I was trying to see what the minimal would be ..for keeping the gun leather clean , and less mess over all . I was very pleased .
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 09:57:41 AM »
Howdy Mason,

I'll be running the same test with my ROAs, EPP-UGs and Genuine Powder soon.  I'll have Silas loading cylinders whilst I blaze away.  After a hundred shots we'll shoot some paper for pictures.  It won't take all that long to run thru Seventeen cylinders.  Then we'll do the accuracy test.

I sure wish I had a 45 Cal lever gun that I could do the same with.  From what I've seen, this is a very accurate rifle bullet.  Since it's a true Big Lube™ design, it won't foul out or loose accuracy and I'm bettin' it'll beat all comers at anything near round ball dimensions. . .

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Offline Ransom Gaer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 11:12:19 AM »
A couple of weeks ago I went out to the range to practice for Wild Bunch matches and also practice shooting my 1860 Army Duelist style.  I put 65 rounds through the Army before I decided to quit.  It was getting close to closing time for the range and I had a two hour drive home yet to do.  The Army was showing no signs of problems and could have gone a lot longer except for time and roundball supply.  Probably would have run out of roundballs before the gun would have quit they way it was functioning.  Was using a 30 gr Goex cowboy load with a lubed wad between ball and powder.  Had a nice little lube star at the muzzle.  The cylinder pin also had a liberal amount of bore butter all over it.  Still hitting the target too.

Ransom Gaer
Pvt Ransom Geer Co D 34th Virginia Infantry Regiment
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

Offline Mason Stillwell

• BP C&B SHOOTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 11:23:25 AM »
hellgate
it was 1 cc or 15 GRAINS LOL ;D
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Known early on as Pole Cat Pete
Tar Heel at Heart

Offline Cactus Cris

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 11:54:50 AM »
DD--Going to take my 45 saddle ring out to try my EPP-UG in Schoefields the end of this week.  Don't have any cart. 45 pistola's.   Also going to try them in my ROA's.  I did notice that they went in the cylinder REAL easy.  Almost no pressure at all to get them in.  Might have been all the lube that was on them or the fact that the two drive bands were small.  Will have to see if they back out when they go off.
  Made me some carry tubes out of plastic tube that is used for trailer house water lines.  Cap of 1/2" copper on one end and a PVC cap on the other end.  Made loups from small ss cable that keep the PVC caps from being dropped.  Can send pics if anyone is interested.  Not a cheap deal but works real nice.
  BTW--the mold drops real nice.  They come out at exactly .454- all edges crisp and filled. :)
Darksider- Gpa of 5- Rabid  C&Br,   DGB, Scorrs, ACSA, RSCAS,TONTO RIMM,  SASS #2790, 31 & counting Clean match's

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 04:47:08 PM »
Howdy CC,

Next time you order, remind me to send along a sample of my vials.  They hold lube/sized bullets real good and are just the right size.

I'll be watchin' to see how your results come in with the rifle.  This is really where the rubber hits the road.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

44caliberkid

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 07:49:27 AM »
Problems? What problems?  I've always shot C&B revolvers in CAS, for more than 7 years, and have shot several 3 day matches without cleaning other than wiping the blackened Crisco off the outside of the gun with a paper towel.  Probably 125 - 150 rounds of round ball with grease over the top.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006, 09:00:22 AM »
Kindah the way I look at it, Kid.  Mine ain’t used every shoot.  They’ll go 30-35 when I do use ‘em, always have.  That’s six stages ‘n a reshoot if necessary. 

Ain’t fightin’ injuns er nuttin’.  Just out plinkin’ with my pards.

Sure can understand some folks curiosity ‘n wantin’ ta know how far they can push ‘em thou.  Good on ‘em.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2006, 09:47:12 AM »
Howdy 44caliberkid,

You runnin' 58s, or some other C&B.  58s seem to give trouble soonest as far as fouling out and not workin' rite.  Mason ran his test with 58s.  Seems the new EPP-UG helped solve the problem.

El Paso Pete made this bullet to emulate the original round ball but solve many of it's problems.

1.  No extra lube, cookies, wads or mess is needed.  Simply dump in powder and seat bullet.  Yer good to go.  Faster loading is good.

2.  The rebated heal and narrow driving bands make seating with less lever pressure a snap.  Easier loading is good.

3.  The flat nose allows it to be used in lever rifles.  Same bullet in both pistols and rifles.  Simplicity is good.

4.  The EPP-UG molds are SIX cavity.  Round ball molds are a LOT slower to cast.  Less time casting is good.

5.  In all tests to date, the EPP-UG bullet is more accurate, especially after long shot strings.  Accuracy is good.

6.  Since the EPP-UG is a true Big Lube™ bullet, cleanup of both rifles and pistols is very easy.  Ease of cleaning is good.

7.  Lube/sizing to exact chamber fit means no shaved "ring".  I've had that shaved ring from a round ball stop the cylinder from rotating.  No loose ring is good.

8.  Since the EPP-UG is lube/sized to exact chamber dimensions it can be cast from cheep wheel weight metal.  Cheeper is good.

Here is a bullet that is virtually the same weight as the round ball it replaces.  It uses the same powder charge.  It recoils the same.  It EMULATES the round ball while addressing all of it's shortcomings.  It's a bullet that works great in both front stuffers and cartridges (same mold for both) and it brings with it all the advantages of round ball shooting for SASS events.  Any place a round ball can be used, the EPP-UG bullet can be used.  The EPP-UG bullet can be used in any and all SASS categorys without compromise.  The shoot fast, run fast hurry up shooters have a big bore bullet that challenges the sub 40 Cal shoters head to head.  The Frontiersman, Frontier Cartridge and Plainsman categorys can all shoot the same bullet.  Versatility is good.

Ok, so I'm a cheerleader, but this is one fine NEW bullet design.  It's benefits are only beginning to be appreciated.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com