Author Topic: Need Pyrodex 45lc loads  (Read 4498 times)

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Need Pyrodex 45lc loads
« on: December 12, 2005, 10:26:30 PM »
The Hodgdon manual list 37grs of Pyrodex P for 955fps with a 250 but dont list any other loadings. Right now I'm using Lee dippers and am limited to 37.8 grs or 34grs. Will either of these two loads be safe? Also how low can you go before you get inadequate compression? I'm just looking for an authenticly powered charge. Thanks

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Need Pyrodex 45lc loads
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 10:41:01 PM »
I suspect those are the 2.5cc and 2.2cc dippers.  Both will be fine.  If you are seating your bullet correctly, neither should leave an air space in the case, the only thing you really want to avoid.  The 2.5cc is a nice early milspec load, the 2.2 matchs most current factory ballistics.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 11:12:16 PM »
Thankyou SGT. Is there anything different about seating and crimping the bullet I need to do? Also will oregon trail bullets be ok with the existing lube?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:45:52 AM »

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 06:07:30 PM »
You should be able to seat to the crimp groove, hearing the powder crunch as it is compressed.  The 2.5cc load should be tapped lightly to settle the powder prior to seating the bullet.  Or hold it on a vibratory case cleaner for a few seconds, or use a drop tube.

The existing bullet lube will not work with Pyrodex.  You need BP lubed bullets.  SPG,  Crisco/beeswax, Bore butte, etc.  Something that will keep the fouling soft and moist.  Are these only for revolvers, or do you intend to use them in a rifle as well?

Might I suggest going here:  http://www.ycsi.net/users/mlventurino/  and getting the "Sixguns" book.  Best BP CAS primer written.  Answer your questions far better than we can here.

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 10:07:26 PM »
They'll be for revolver only. Do I simply rub crisco on the grooves?

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 10:39:07 PM »
You would need to melt the existing lube out of the grooves.  Boiling the bullets in a pot of water works great for this.

Crisco alone is too thin, with too low a melting point.

Melt a 50/50 mix of Crisco and Beeswax in a shallow pan over low heat. This is not a precise mix, but a simple TLAR process.  (That Looks About Right)  It should be deep enough that when you place a bullet in it base down the groove is covered.  Place as many bullets in the lube as you can, maintaining a 1/4" clearance around each. 

When the lube is just solid, still warm, use a fired .45 Colt case with a roofing nail stuck thru the drilled out primer hole to cut out the bullets from the lube cake.  Refill the holes with bullets and repeat.

For a few quickie loads if desired, simply load the bullets with their current smokeless lube, then when loading prior to going on the line, put a glop of crisco on the nose of the first round to be fired.  One of these per cylinder full should get you by.  A squeeze tube of Bore Butter from a shop selling Muzzle loader supplys works even better for this.

Offline Dakota Widowmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 08:35:29 PM »
Galloway,

You are going to want to pan lube.

Pan lubing is as easy as can be.
50/50 beeswax and crisco

or pearl lube

1 lb bees wax
6 oz crisco (one of those blocks that come in a 3 pack)
1 cup canola oil or olive oil
1 bol-wax ring (toilet bowl wax ring #1)

Melt it all down in a big fry pan in the oven and then pour into pans (aluminum or nonstick sheet metal)
place bullets nose up in each pan while the stuff is still hot.

Let it cool, put in fridge and after it is solid, pop out the lube sheet and bullets and push out the bullets.

wrap the lube "matrix" up in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and save it for later.

[I use pearl lube...never failes and works like a charm for 44-40, 56-50, and 38-55]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com