Poll

WEDGE STUCK

WEDGE
0 (0%)
WEDGE NAVY
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: URGENT HELP REQUIRED Pietta Navy wedge stuck  (Read 4242 times)

Offline Sundance

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
URGENT HELP REQUIRED Pietta Navy wedge stuck
« on: November 12, 2005, 11:42:54 AM »
Just can't seem to be able to knock out wedge.  Are there any tricks, techniques to this?
Pistol shot very well very pleased with it.
Using a wooden peg but just won't shift, should I remove screw above the wedge, or what?
Assistance appreciated.

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: URGENT HELP REQUIRED Pietta Navy wedge stuck
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 12:06:01 PM »
Yes, back out the screw, or even remove it, above the wedge. If you can't get it out then, soak it good with a penetrating lube and let it set fer a while, then smack it with a brass hammer.
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 12:10:33 PM »
Don't force it...get a bigger hammer.

Are you driving it from right to left?  It won't go the other way.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:58:31 PM »

Offline Sundance

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 12:22:52 PM »
Thanks guy's, yep driving it the right way.  Right going to try and back out screw (again), the spring part on top of wedge won't go down, poked around with a scalpel blade in case of obstruction. Thought today had gone too good.
Any other ideas fellas if I'm still stuck?
PS Should gun be on half cock?

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 12:27:34 PM »
Nope. doesn't need ta be on half cock. If you can figger a way ta hold that spring down whilst tapping out the wedge, it will be easier. But generally it will pop outta the way on it's own.
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline Sundance

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 01:37:27 PM »
That spring just does not want to move down enough to knock out the wedge.  I've cleaned the gun with pyrodex EZ CLEAN the best I can without stripping it, removing nipples etc.  Given the wedge area a good squirt of WD I'll have another go tomorrow.
Cheers fellas.

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2005, 11:51:36 PM »
Sundance,
The new Piettas have the wedge rammed in way too tight. Here's how I got mine out: Put the gun between a couple blocks of wood so the wedge has some clearance when it does actually move. Use a brass drift. Now, that means ANYTHING made of brass or bronze that won't gall your gun. My favorite "drift" is an old house key (Schlage) turned on edge and whacked with a hammer or hardwood dowel (old shovel handle, chair leg, etc). Support the cylinder and the barrel with the gap between the blocks under the wedge. Your wood blocks/planks will be different thicknesses. The house keys are of fairly hard brass or bronze. The edge of a coin (25c) might also work to simultaneously force the spring down and the wedge out as you strike it. I've even used a sawed off bottleneck rifle brass (shortened) and then pounded flat as a tapered drift to knock out wedges. The .223 comes to mind. Avoid steel drifts as they will bugger up your gun and it'll look like some monkey got too wild.

Once you get the wedge out be sure to grease it well before reinserting it. Do not file the edges or reshape it as they will loosen up with firing over time.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

44caliberkid

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2005, 08:52:30 AM »
A case rim works good too.  I've put the edge of a .303 Brit or 45-70 case against the wedge and wack it from the opposite side, any case with a pronounced rim will work as a soft drift.   You can also mash the case mouth closed, put that against the wedge, and hit the case head.

Offline Sundance

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2005, 12:34:44 PM »
Problem sorted - phewwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Many thanks to everyone, fantastic rapid response guys.
Well the brass key did it (HELLGATE YEH STAR), and brass case 308 flattened, both will now live in my shooting box.
The wedge is now slightly prowd - (on opposite side of screw) gun operates fine, wedge now well greased.  I've read somewhere that it should be flush is this correct?
 ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com