Author Topic: Non-CAS Colt 1911A1 Vietnam war trophy need information on it  (Read 4772 times)

Offline bean bandit 24414L

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Non-CAS Colt 1911A1 Vietnam war trophy need information on it
« on: January 28, 2008, 09:22:05 PM »
Howdy from San Diego

While serving in Vietnam in 1967 while on perimeter patrol around our flight line we encountered a North Vietnam sapper squad a fire fight took place after it was over as the norm we searched the NVA bodies and one of them had a .38 Colt 1911A1 in his wait band.
I pick it up took back to our unit reported in to Army Intel during my debrief (AAR).

Made a claim for the Colt hand gun and brought it home as a legal war trophy.

What makes my .38 super Colt  unique to me is that on top of the slide  just forward of the ejection port has the Crest of The United States engraved on it.

It has no civilian Colt prefix (Cxxxx)  on the Serial number, but have  Colt inspectors and acceptance stamps.

The finish is phosphate a deep Grey (close to the M-16A1 finish) the grips  have a storage rack number painted with white paint.

The grips are brown plastic and are military issue since it has the part number on the back of each half,

By the serial number and by Colt letter of authenticity my Colt was made in 1947 and shipped to Vermont no other information is provided.

Some time back the American Rifleman had a article on ,38 Colt supers that the Army presented to each Officer upon graduation from OSC at Fort Benning Georgia back in the 1950's.

If you can shed any additional information on the history of my Colt  or have a copy of the NRA article please burn me a copy I for ever be grateful.

Thanks

Safe shooting and happy traiils ;D

BB24424L
PRK.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Non-CAS Colt 1911A1 Vietnam war trophy need information on it
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 11:14:01 PM »
I spoke to some older OCS grads from that era - none ever heard the tale of .38 Super Government Models being given - even to the guys on the Commandant's List.

Especially in light of the fact that it was a non-standard round, and relatively worthless - given the preponderance of .45 ACP and the fact that the Service Pistol was available for $15 from the NRA.

If it went to Vermont - your Colt Letter should have an end destination that you can perhaps contact - or even a Police agency in or near that town, since towns 'Back East' often required registration.

As to any engraving - in the Far East - a helluva lot of gun engraving occurred and for various reasons - individual pride - presentation to an official - presentation 'in general' - so there's no telling 'why' yours has the Great Seal.

The grips are a later replacement - the part number came about in the '60's as WWII-issue grips dried up in Supply channels.

Original grips would've been commercial Colt brown plastic.

Original finish in 1947 was a high-polish blue.

Good Luck,

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Re: Non-CAS Colt 1911A1 Vietnam war trophy need information on it
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 09:52:30 PM »
I would recommend that you write something up to go with the gun recording how you got it etc. and sign it.  Include your rank, branch unit and reciepts showing it was indeed a legal war trophy etc.  This gives the gun some provenance and can significantly increase its value.  Don't refinish it what ever you do or do major parts replacement.

Advertising

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com