Author Topic: If you ever wanted to have a REAL Colt walker....  (Read 1985 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
If you ever wanted to have a REAL Colt walker....
« on: December 08, 2020, 02:26:46 PM »
Had professional appraisal and metallurgical exam done.   I handled it when it came into the shop, and they finally got it authenticated and listed on Gun Broker.

Talk about "feeling" the history in it....

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/886130509
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
Re: If you ever wanted to have a REAL Colt walker....
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 03:35:30 PM »
Anyone need a KIDNEY ?
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 126
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 10:18:50 AM »

Oh My   :o

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:28:21 PM »

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 927
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 09:18:08 AM »
Gone to your link twice but no pictures, just captions in the middle of the frame. Wonder what I'm doing wrong???

Dave

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 10:01:20 AM »

I'm sorry Dave.  I can't open the Pod Bay Door.  Dave??  Dave??

Offline Pay Dirt Norvelle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 10:28:04 AM »
That is a great looking Walker.  I wonder if my wife will let me take a second mortgage on our house?  ;D ;D
PAY DIRT NORVELLE
SASS #90056
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
COYOTE VALLEY COWBOYS #37
RATS #650

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 11:34:21 AM »
Hate to say it but I don't think that's a real Walker. Some of the indicators are the grip shape, the loading cut-out shape and the barrel address. On the barrel address look at the dash between New and York. On the originals it's the right length(obviously), on this Walker here and on all the repros I have seen(meaning Armi San Marco, Colt 2nd Gen and Colt Signature Series) the dash is too long.

As well the cylinder engraving is wrong. I compared the border around the "COLT'S PATENT" and there are numerous differences in the various lobes and curls. The NY Met Museum has good photos to compare:

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/24844

It's a nicely done fake, IMHO. Probably worth 2 or 3 thousand dollars when sold as a fake. 

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2020, 09:53:16 AM »
Hate to say it but I don't think that's a real Walker. Some of the indicators are ...............

It's a nicely done fake, IMHO. Probably worth 2 or 3 thousand dollars when sold as a fake. 

I dunno? $225,000 is alot of greenbacks to lay down for a sight unseen revolver in the class of a 'Original Walker' or any other. I'd be investigating the track record/previous owners a whole bunch before bidding on that. There's gotta be something out there. No offense to the seller, but for that kind of investment, I'd be checking on him also. See in the GB sale he states "AS IS-No refund or exchange"! For that kind of dollars and rarity, sort of a red flag to me. You apparently know the seller Tuolumne, what you say?

Reference the value "worth 2 or 3 thousand dollars when sold as a fake"--no way! A fake is a fake. If it is "a fake", it was nothing but a Italian manufactured Armi or Uberti and "faked". I don't know what the old Armi's are worth (little IMO due to all the problems they incur), but a Uberti made Walker can be had for less than $500 and to dress it up very little needs to be invested. JMO!
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 10:17:30 AM »

>:(  There is NO handgun actually worth that kind of money   :o

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 11:09:15 AM »
>:(  There is NO handgun actually worth that kind of money   :o

So very true..for $225G's a whole stable of guns, plus accessories, reloading this and that, plus a whole gambit of other wants (may not be needs), could be had. Having a original Colt from the 1800's would be nice, but it would be a safe queen, bring it out for show and tell only---no firing it. Of course there are those in this world that spending $225G's is of no concern, they'll spend $5000 plus for every $100 most people shell out. I'll stick with my Eye-talian offerings and have fun shootin em! ;D
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Snake Oil

• Snake Oil
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A day shooting is good for what ails ya!
  • NCOWS #: L-198
  • GAF #: 889
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2020, 11:25:06 AM »
How does one come to acquire something so rare, family heirloom?  Then why sell it?

I can't imagine getting "lucky" enough to ever find something so unique that wouldn't cost a super shiney nickel to begin with, let alone the knowledge of what is "worth" the jump.  I was pretty ramped up about my first M1 Garand purchase and I know it isn't anything unique or special, but it was worth a little more because i have wanted one for so long.

How often does something like that come along? (I've noticed some high end guns on gunbroker that just don't seen worth that kind of money (bad example WARNING, but having just read about cats and shotguns)  My miroku was made the same place the browning are, and both go bang when I pull the trigger, and the clay shatters the same if I do my part.

What justifies such an amazing price?

A day shooting is good for what ails ya!

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1226
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2020, 11:51:23 AM »
People who spend that kind of money on old guns are doing it strictly as an investment, IMO.  In general the antiques will continue to rise in value.  So it becomes a matter of figuring out what it is "worth" now so you don't lose money later.  (and obviously making sure it isn't a fake is a huge part of it).

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2020, 02:37:39 PM »
10-4 Abilene. Thought about saying that also. Most of those high dollar guns like the $225,000G Walker listed here from GB I think usually are sold on sites such as the Rock Island Auction and a few others or are sold silently between parties. I don't think I've ever seen a firearm on GB selling for the amount for that Walker. I'd be hesitant buying it even below ten grand without further proof of authenticy. Seller had alot of written information on Walker history, but not much on provenance. I'd be doing the 'Ask Seller a Question' big time requesting certified proof of being a REAL Colt Walker and more than just his written history of the Walker and some guy saying it is old metal, be phoning him also. I've never bought a used gun on GB without using the 'Ask seller question' and talking with them. Ya can learn and get a real sense of a guy when talking with em, just sense this and that if they're a BS'er or not. I'll have to put on my GB watch list to see if he ever sells it, my guess is it will die for lack of any bids.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2020, 05:05:41 PM »
I see that the "original" Walker for $225,000 just went into its I believe 4th relisting. No lines are forming with salivating mouths wanting it I guess.  :P

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2020, 05:45:35 PM »

:)  Harrumpff   >:(

In danger of repeating myself.  No I'm NOT.  I am repeating myself  Quote "There is NO handgun actually worth that kind of money"  End Quote

Stay Safe

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1226
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2020, 05:56:12 PM »
:)  Harrumpff   >:(

In danger of repeating myself.  No I'm NOT.  I am repeating myself  Quote "There is NO handgun actually worth that kind of money"  End Quote

Stay Safe

Hmm, let's see.  Maybe SAA #1?  Or Paterson #1?  Or... 
If I had a chance at something like those for $225K I would withdraw all of my IRA and/or mortgage anything I could to buy it.  Then resell immediately for a huge profit.   :)   But uh, fat chance.  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com