Author Topic: new cimarron colt conversion  (Read 1126 times)

Offline middletownbob

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
new cimarron colt conversion
« on: July 27, 2020, 11:44:04 AM »
I just finished reading the new GOTOW magazine about the Pocket Navy conversion...Surprised that no-one has brought up that it has a new arbor system that has a spring on the end of it...What is the function or purpose of this?
Middletown Bob

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: new cimarron colt conversion
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 12:04:17 PM »
It acts as a sort of shock absorber  for the 'peppie' .380 ACP cartridge. First run had an issue with hammer bounce that would then slightly rotate the cylinder exposing the the next loaded round in the cylinder to the loading port and ejecting it under recoil. The second run currently out has a much heavier hammer spring that seems to have solved the bounce problem but, is a real bear to cock the piece. Mine is of the first production run and I have yet to shoot .380 ACP cartridges. The .380 ACP is not on the NCOWS Approved Cartridge list so I modified .38 Short Colt brass to chamber in the cylinder and as I prefer using 3Fg powder loads in my conversion Colts the bounce problem never plagued me. Else where on this sight is a thread dedicated to the Cimmarron 1862 Pocket Police Conversion. You might want to go back 5 or 6 months and check them out.
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 02:30:05 PM »
Ha !!!!

That's a little bit funny!! If Uberti would address the short arbor issue, there wouldn't be a "problem"!! The spring is a joke!!

How in the world do you get " hammer bounce" with a cartridge gun ?!!! I can see a light sprung cap gun dealing with blowback through the nipple but this is a cartridge gun for Christ sake!!!!  My cartridge .45C S.A.A. copies have a just under 3 lb  hammer draw and even with "heated" 45 rounds don't have an issue with "hammer bounce" !!  I'm sorry, just makes no sense .  .  .   sounds like  "fix as you go" engineering!!!  Lol!!!

Mike

Maybe with the addition of a "spring" fix, Uberti is finally admitting there is a problem?!!
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:38:35 AM »

Offline middletownbob

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 03:32:49 PM »
 Does sound a little weird for a small cartridge conversion...thanks

Middletown Bob

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 04:24:59 PM »
What is weird to me is that all the Pocket framed guns I have handled have had correct Arbor lengths!  (The ONLY Uberti's that I have seen this, FWIW)  So why the spring?  Some ingeneer get a little too clever perhaps?
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 11:49:52 AM »
What is weird to me is that all the Pocket framed guns I have handled have had correct Arbor lengths!  (The ONLY Uberti's that I have seen this, FWIW)  So why the spring?  Some ingeneer get a little too clever perhaps?

That IS weird!! I've not found one correct yet!! Maybe your not driving the wedge in hard enough ?  Or, just dropping a small thin washer in the arbor hole and being able to install the barrel assy. (proving there is space). Maybe I'm just lucky .  .  . 

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 01:19:20 PM »
What it means is that Uberti's quality is not under control.  I wish Pietta made more than Navy frame Colts.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com