Author Topic: newbie with new Spencer original  (Read 11704 times)

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: newbie with new Spencer original
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2013, 03:42:15 PM »
His cases are longer but the OAL is normal,the longer cases allow him to seat the Rapine 350T bullet to proper OAL for his rifle,I compress 40grs of FF in Starline cases and 45grs in shotened 32ga brass shot shells cut to Starline lenth for the best results in my original Spencers

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2013, 06:39:18 AM »
I'm out of town this weekend at Harpers Ferry, so working from a Blackberry.  I don't have my notes, but I think my cases are trimmed to 1.356" which, as mentioned allows for 45gr of powder with just moderate compression.  It shoots great and sounds nice.  It has a nice crack to it. This load is about as close to original as possible.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline KEN S

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2013, 08:38:04 AM »
I'm using an OAL OCL of 1.52, crimping in the crimp groove of the Lyman 350.   cycles great.  Its a RNFP, so that may account for the length being short.  I could crimp in the second groove, expose on lubed groove, and put in more powder, but that will come later.  for now, the FFg tests will continue with MAGNUM pistol primers.  
    What do you think about primers?   The large rifle primers don't fit my cases.  unmarked, new cases came with the deal.  
    Ken

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 01:47:04 PM »

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2013, 04:16:08 PM »
I have tryed many diffrent primers(LRM,LR,LPM,LP and LP with under primmer wad)I have found that the ICI LPP with under primer wad has improved acuracy in every BP cartridge I load for.Try seating the Lyman bullet out further,I would be very suprised if it does not feed well out to 1.65+,the original rifles shoot much better as the velocity increases,40gr of FF can be compresed easyl enough with a compresion die in solid head cases if the OAL is to be 1.6+ and 45grs in the shotened 32ga shot shells at the same OAL.I also would recomend you get some Starline or 32ga shot shell ,the ones you have sound like they may be terned brass cases which have a tendency to not last long

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com