Author Topic: Problems with my new ArmiSport Spencer  (Read 13422 times)

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Problems with my new ArmiSport Spencer
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2010, 08:45:48 PM »
:D Kind of seems that way sometimes, don't it?
Yes its a shame that Pedersoli do not make one,they seem to care about there customers an understand how rifles work,on the upside when you finley get your AP spencer working as well as a original you will have gained a apreciation of how minor changes in desighn can make the diffrence between a briliant desighn and a shambels and gain some gunsmith skills as well

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2010, 07:33:07 AM »
Hello SSS,

Several years ago I sent Armi Sports in Italy a list of SSS recommended improvements for the Spencer 56-50 ;) ;) 

I think they were offended by our suggestions.  They never responded to our list. And as I remember, their only comment to me was they felt their Spencers shot just fine out of the box and that no modifications were necessary ::) ::)

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Hombre

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2010, 07:44:11 AM »

Two Flints,

I should have known better.  Three years ago I bought a 45-70 Taylor Armi Sport Sharps that practically fell apart in
my hands, (loose screws, triggers, etc.).  The Shiloh Sharps replacement was infinitly better.

BUYER BEWARE.

Hombre

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 05:53:11 PM »

Offline Jbar4Ranch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2010, 09:11:38 AM »
Mine usually only has problems feeding the first round, and even that is normally overcome by slapping the lever closed smartly. I use the RCBS mold or the cut down Lee mold. Both seem to work more or less equally well... maybe a slight edge to the Lee design. When I break 100 seconds on a stage, I feel pretty good about it. ;D I had the barrel unscrew at a match a couple months ago, and had to remember to hold pressure with my left hand to keep it from happening again the rest of the match. I unscrewed it and doped it up good with blue Loc-tite when I got home and it hasn't happened again... yet.

Offline Hombre

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2010, 12:16:14 PM »

Jbar4Ranch,

That reminds me.  After I took the AS out of the box and worked the lever once, the barrel came loose.
I should have sent it back right then.  Instead I did like you with the locktite...good so far.

Hombre

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2010, 04:46:44 PM »
Hello SSS,

Several years ago I sent Armi Sports in Italy a list of SSS recommended improvements for the Spencer 56-50 ;) ;) 

I think they were offended by our suggestions.  They never responded to our list. And as I remember, their only comment to me was they felt their Spencers shot just fine out of the box and that no modifications were necessary ::) ::)

Two Flints
Armi Sports does seem to have a problem with the truth they stated that they cooied the desighn of an original and the bloke is interchamble(originals were made to mill spects and were rejected if they did not fit the guages)it is not though close(as are most parts)I can not undestand why a gun made on CNC machines can not be made to mill spects(this would help every one the gun would work properly ,parts could be yoused for originals and with the right twist in the rifling you could hit somthing past 50yds)In Australia people will not buy a rifle that wont shoot straight so by not taking notice of there customers I feel the company is doomed to faile,a shame because with just a few small changes they would have a gun that was as good as the originals

Offline Jbar4Ranch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2010, 10:18:27 PM »
Damn! You lucky guy, you! You got the complete kit for the same price as most of got the partially assembled one! :D

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2010, 11:49:55 PM »
The only way I got my Ami Sports Spencer to work properly was to copy the demitions from a original M 1865 ,it now Cycles just as smoothly as a original(you have to check weather a cartrige is being fed its that smooth)but it still needs a new barell whith a slower twist.I do licke a chalenge I also licke Colt 1877 double actions,when you have masterd the art of macking these reliable every thing elce comes easy

Offline Hombre

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2010, 10:34:25 AM »

Yesterday I took the Spencer to the range with 50 freshly loaded cartridges.  All 50 cycled perfectly, (with spring in magazine), as long as the gun is tilted up at least 30 degrees.  The accuracy is good and finally centered in on the bull.

On my 48th shot the barrel came loose again.  I am going to be shooting my Shiloh Sharps for a while.

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2010, 12:38:38 PM »
A new Spencer owner here.This has been an interesting read.The one I purchased is from Cimarron Arms.Is anyone having problems with the barrel coming loose on these?Haven't shot it yet,still gathering up reloading supplies.

Offline Hombre

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2010, 02:41:44 PM »

My Armi Sport is a Cimmaron import from Buffalo Arms.  If the barrel gets loose use a strong grade of Loc Tite.  It should be o.k.

Hombre

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2010, 10:54:19 AM »

My Armi Sport is a Cimmaron import from Buffalo Arms.  If the barrel gets loose use a strong grade of Loc Tite.  It should be o.k.

Hombre

Has any any reason for the barrels coming loose been determined or a cause identified?

Offline Hombre

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2010, 05:06:07 PM »

I don't know, other than typical Armi Sport workmanship.  Every screw on the gun loosens eventually.
That's how you know it's an Armi Sport.

Offline .56/50 Iron

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2010, 07:54:55 PM »
Hello! I went to wheelweight metal for bullets. That eliminated the feeding problem. I got the same cutting of the bullet tip by the edge of the breechblock and no suggestions changed that. Linotype bullets feed as fast as I can work the lever. It does not hurt to try the other suggestions and adjustments. Basically, you are completing the fine points that the factory should have done, but when you are finished, you will really grow to admire the little carbine. I don't have a rifle.
56/50 Iron
Hayward, Wisconsin

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2010, 10:01:32 PM »
If you are still geting cuting of the bullet with WW alloy ,the leading edge of the the block is still too sharp,if it is cuting entering the chamber the cam is to highthis is presuming your loaded cartridges are the right lenth 1.58 to 1.6 inch with the bullet I use,it also pays to debure the extractor

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com