Author Topic: Rapine 350T bullets  (Read 14700 times)

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Rapine 350T bullets
« on: April 09, 2009, 07:14:47 AM »
I've been reading about bullet choices and would like to try some Rapine 350Ts.  Do any of the comercial bullet makers sell these?  Or is there anyone here who would be willing to sell 25-50 of them?  I need them sized .513" or larger.  Preferably larger, unsized.

Can someone supply the bullet dimensions ?  OA length, base to crimp groove, crimp groove to nose.  Unsized diameter with various alloys?

Thanks
ndnchf
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Rapine 350T bullets
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 09:44:24 PM »
OAL .753 ,base to crimp groove.410 ,crimp groove to nose .343  ,cast WW.516, if you are reesizing i sugest you get the mould in .520 the groove is plenty deep enough to hold enough lube after resizing and you have a more versitile mould it should have plenty of lube to work in 50-95 as it works very well in50 BP express

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 07:40:33 AM »
Thanks you Herbert, I appreciate the information.  This bullet with its large lube carrying capacity sounds very promising for my long barreled rifle. ;D
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:33:57 AM »

Offline Glenn

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 08:38:16 PM »
I've been using the 375, the grooves are a little thin but it hasn't been a problem in my rifle.  They cast out at 365 Grain in lead.  I've been thinking about a little moly spray to make me feel better.

Offline El Tigre

• Very Active Citizen
  • go towards the sun , your shadow will behind you
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 12:36:27 AM »
Hello All,

I am located in Germany and my Spencer Rifle will receive by end of June. I found some reports related to the Rapine 350T and the Grease Groves looks fine. Can some one help me to order an Rapine 350T mould. I looked at Buffalo Arms but they do not offer such size. I need it for 56-50 Spencer Rifle.
Can some one send me a link were I can order the mould ?

Thanks for your support and kind regards from Germany.

El Tigre :)

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 06:26:42 AM »
You have to call Rapine on the phone, they do not have a web site and the moulds are not carried by any retailers.  The number is 215-679-5413.  He is located in Pennsylvania.  I ordered my 350T mould about 2 weeks ago, he told me it would be 4-5 weeks for delivery.  But surprise, it showed up at my door yesterday ;D

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 09:09:18 AM »
The first mould I used for the 56050 Taylor's was the Rapine.  It is an excellent mold, and holds plenty of lube, which is good for the long barreled rifle.  The only drawback, if I remember right (it's been a long time) is that it seats deeper than the modified Lee and decreases case volume for powder.  If using 777, or using a compression die for BP, this is less of an issue.  It was VERY accurate, though.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline El Tigre

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 01:34:48 PM »
Thanks all of you for your feedback.  :D

Lot of comments are linked to a modified Lee. Does it mean that the Lee mould is reworked. Which Lee mold it is ?

El Tigre

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 05:07:49 PM »
It is a cut down 50-70 mold, designed by Hell R High Water and perfected by Dakota Widow Maker (Gosh, I hope I got the order right!).  #50 grain nominal weight.  They are both on this forum.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Hell-Er High Water

• Top Active Citizen
    • Hell-Er High Water
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 05:56:18 PM »
TL,

Yes, you got that correct.  I modified my mould in May 2004 and have been shooting bullets from it ever since.  Since I am a shooter and not a mould maker, when Dakota Widowmaker asked me about modifing moulds and selling them I told him to go for it.  I have retired three different times and plan on staying that way.  Not enough time for me to both work and shoot.

El Tigre,

The mould starts out as a Lee 515-500-F and the bottom two bands and grooves are machined off.  New overall bullet length is 0.725" +/- and mine casts at 335 gr +/- using a 20:1 alloy.  I don't know what DW calls his but I call mine a 50-340-F.  You can check out the Lee web site to see what the original looks like, print a copy and cover up the bottom portion to see what the modified bullet will look like.

I believe that DW is still modifing and selling moulds so if you are interested you should contact him.  Contact info for him on this web site.

Good shooting.

HHW

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 11:40:25 PM »
With the DW modified mould you can get an honest 45 gr. FFg (per originals) if you slowly drop tube and compress slightly. It clocks right at 1200 fps or a tad under.  ;)

Offline El Tigre

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 01:11:04 PM »
In Europe we have the Schweizer Black Powder in our neighbourhood. They are offering Schweizer #0 up to #5. In my Sharps 45-120 I am using the Schweizer 5. So if the brass can only take less powder due to the Rapine 350 T or the modified Lee it doesn’t matter. I will change the powder and believe me the Schweitzer 1 or 0 have a lot of power.

Hanks al, for your comments

El Tigre   ;)

Offline El Tigre

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 01:41:48 PM »
So I just called Rapine and ordered a 350 T in .512.

Thanks all of you for the greate feedback.

I will keep you informed about my first shoots with the Spencer.

El Tigre 8)

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 05:52:38 PM »
In Europe we have the Schweizer Black Powder in our neighbourhood...

We have it here as well. I shoot it in my Shiloh Sharps and have shot some in my Spencer.

Offline El Tigre

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 11:08:21 PM »
In June I will start to load my 54-110 Sharps. It will be funny to shoot it   ;D

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 11:11:17 PM »
In June I will start to load my 54-110 Sharps. It will be funny to shoot it   ;D

No it won't. Ein "Gift" ist nich immer ein Gift.  ;) ;D

Offline El Tigre

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2009, 02:29:58 PM »
Das verstehe ich nicht.
I do not understand.

Meinst du mit Gift das ift oder das Geschenk ?

Is your understanding of the word "Gift" the toxic Gift or the english word for a present ?   ::)

El Tigre ;D

Offline El Tigre

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2009, 02:40:21 PM »
I attached some picture of my 54-110 Sharps which I will receive approx. in August 2009. Tha Tang sight is not ready by 100 % and the finish is not ready.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 03:07:06 PM »
Das verstehe ich nicht.
I do not understand.

Meinst du mit Gift das ift oder das Geschenk ?

Is your understanding of the word "Gift" the toxic Gift or the english word for a present ?   ::)

El Tigre ;D
Wie geht's!

Ich denke Geschenk ist was er war sagen!

Entschuldigung, mein Deutsch ist nicht so gut!  I habe nicht fur sehr viel Jahr Deutsch  sprechen.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2009, 03:23:57 PM »
El Tigre!

Wenn sie das 54-110 Sharps schiessen, es ist gleich das Bereich Haubitze auf Erwin Romel
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com