Author Topic: Looking for information for a friend who bought a gun  (Read 3252 times)

Offline Bristow Kid

• I've got a touch of hangover beuracrate. Don't push me
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Matthew(Matt) Bohach
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Looking for information for a friend who bought a gun
« on: March 01, 2009, 08:15:37 AM »
My friend was at a gun show and bought a revolver that he was told was a .22 Magnum.  He brought it to me and I looked it over and did not find any markings to support this.  I did find it was marked on the barrel as a .22 LR.  I have all the markings off the gun and would like any information y'all have about it or a place where I can look to find out about it.  The receipt my friend got said

EAA 1873 Frontier .22 mag
ser# 7608

I found on the bottom of the barrel it was marked ASM  EMF but I could not find a model name and the cylinder only have inspecter makes not caliber markings.  a .22 LR and .22 Mag both fit into the cylinder.  My friend nor I have shot this gun cause I didn't want anyone to get hurt if wrong ammo was used.  The revolver is a full sized Colt replica and weighs close to what my Pietta replica weighs.  It has a blued barrel and cylinder with a color case hardened frame and walnut grips.  the is an inspectors mark on the grips on the bottom looks like ones I have seen on other replicas of military issued colts.  We appreciate any help and information

Bristow Kid
Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
Grand Army of the Frontier #437
Department of the Missouri
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: Looking for information for a friend who bought a gun
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 08:40:38 AM »
Naturally, being the smaller round - a .22LR 'will' fit into a .22 Magnum cylinder.

There's usually enough rim for the cartridge to be supported  and it will 'probably' fire when struck by the firing pin if that's the case.

Don't do it.

It'll likely split the case mouth, if not the entire case as the walls expand to fit the inside of the cylinder.

You'll know if that's the case, as you attempt to extract the fired cartridge...

Look inside the cylinder and you should be able to see a slight taper and a slight 'ring'  where the longer .22 Magnum extends.

Shoot those and you should be fine.

One of the problems with buying imports is that sometimes, a few quality control steps get missed - like proper markings and/or both cylinders being shipped.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »
I wonder where the second cylinder for my Single Six is?  Most likely the .22 lr cylinder was lost; - long ago!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:07:49 AM »

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 06:48:53 AM »
I have a .22 single-six, .22 magnum cartridges do not fit into the cylinder of my revolver, too long! have the gun examined by a gunsmith than you'll know for sure.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com