Author Topic: USFA Lightning rifle?  (Read 2286 times)

Offline jphendren

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
USFA Lightning rifle?
« on: February 12, 2015, 04:33:32 PM »
I am considering buying a USFA Lightning rifle to go with my SAA's, anybody have any leads on one for sale?  I haven't seen one for sale in a while.  I would prefer an octagon barrel in .44 WCF if possible.

Jared

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: USFA Lightning rifle?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 07:37:46 AM »
I've got a beautiful little USFA Lightning carbine (but with a rifle buttstock) in 44-40.  It's always been very reliable and is a lot of fun to shoot.  I also have a Pedersoli rifle in 44-40. 

You've chosen the correct caliber.  The bottleneck cartridges feed well in these rifles, while the straight walled cases have issues - they weren't designed for them.  If you stick to the 44-40 and either a USFA or Pedersoli you'll find it a really fun rifle to shoot and lots of folks at matches will say - "I can't believe you have a Lightning that really works!"  ;D

One other thing to keep in mind - it takes a while to train your muscle memory to properly operate a Lightning when transitioning from a lever gun.  It took me 4 or 5 months to operate one smoothly.  Initially, I'd find myself still trying to lever it while "half" pumping it.  It made for some comical moments - after the fact!  This is probably also one reason folks don't like them - they don't work through the transition period while learning to operate them.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com