Author Topic: Hardest Western to watch, and I love westerns  (Read 27126 times)

Offline RowdyBill

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hardest Western to watch, and I love westerns
« on: January 16, 2005, 10:26:49 PM »
"The Undefeated" with John Wayne and Rock Hudson.  Starts out kind of cool, but then slows down (at least to me) and I never have been able to sit through this one.  I don't even know how it ends.  Anyone else feel the same about that film?  It's kind of like "Major Dundee"; starts out well, then loses steam.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
Re: Hardest Western to watch, and I love westerns
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 10:56:38 AM »
I've seen "Undeafeated" but don't remember what it's about. I guess it is un-unforgettable.  ;D

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline RowdyBill

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 11:20:18 AM »
I've seen "Undeafeated" but don't remember what it's about. I guess it is un-unforgettable.  ;D

Slim

Two groups of men from the Civil War, North (John Wayne) and South (Rock Hudson), end up in Mexico where they must make amends and band together to fight a third group (Federales?).  I just remember this film starts off so well.  Maybe the romance scenes derail this.  (Romance, if not handled right, can diminish any potentially good Western).

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:53:37 PM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 06:38:43 PM »
I think the movie would have been a lot better without Rock Hudson and his "phony" southern accent.  The movie has a great supporting cast including Merlin Olsen and Roman Gabriel when they were still playing with the Rams.  Ben johnson and Dub Taylor give good performances. I watch all of John Wayne's Westerns, including  " The Undefeated". but it not my favorite.  I think that "Once Upon a Time in The West" is the hardest western for me to watch.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline FloraBama Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Florida Bordertown
    • Panhandle Cowboys
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 07:41:39 PM »
I've seen this movie a couple of times and it's not too awful bad. Some of the romance stuff goes too far and the likes of Rock Hudson and Jan Michael Vincent just aren't Western material!

But does have the tipical Duke "stuff" for a movie; drinking, fighting and a litle humor.
~~~SASS# 54776~~~ BOLD# 568~~~

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 08:48:00 PM »
...  I think that "Once Upon a Time in The West" is the hardest western for me to watch.

:o :o :o I just don't believe what I just read.  To me, this is the best western and best movie out there. 

I first loved the Italian westerns.  It has only been in the last few years that I have grown to love the American westerns as well... in particular John Wayne.  I've seen "The Undefeated", but it doesn't rank high up on my list either.
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline RIO DEL RIO

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 06:29:58 PM »
The worst Western I have seen lately is "Tombstone" on the WESTERN Channel.  I have tried to watch it three times this month and I still can't get it.  First of all who told Kurt Russell he could play a cowboy of any type.  Wyatt Earp was too much. Val Kilmer as "Doc Holliday" was the worst performance I have seen.  Jason Robarts he ain't.  What does the phrase or statement "Ill be your Huckleberry" mean?  Who was Kilmers voice coach? Was he high or what?  DUKE IS STILL THE KING!!!

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 07:03:03 PM »
The worst Western I have seen lately is "Tombstone" on the WESTERN Channel.  I have tried to watch it three times this month and I still can't get it.  First of all who told Kurt Russell he could play a cowboy of any type.  Wyatt Earp was too much. Val Kilmer as "Doc Holliday" was the worst performance I have seen.  Jason Robarts he ain't.  What does the phrase or statement "Ill be your Huckleberry" mean?  Who was Kilmers voice coach? Was he high or what?  DUKE IS STILL THE KING!!!

I'll agree with you that the Duke is the king and I'll also agree that Kurt Russell's performance left a little to be desired, but that's the end of my agreein'.  I think that I speak for many folks when I say that Val Kilmer really made the movie.  No, He is no Jason Robards, but Jason Robards is no Val Kilmer either.  They both played a good Doc, but for my money Val was better!

I'm your huckleberry! ;D ;D ;D
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Pukin Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • The frozen tundra of Madison, Wi
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2005, 12:44:37 PM »
Has anyone been able to sit through "Buffalo Bill and the Indians" by Altman?  I didn't last 20 minutes.
"Puking Dog" Danlbach

Soot Lord Junior Grade
Semi-Warthog

Offline Second Creek Sam

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2005, 02:26:48 PM »
Undefeated would have been a total stinker if not for the Duke's presence in it.

I have seen quite a few "bad" westerns on the Westerns Channel lately. 
Funny thing is, till I got the Westerns Channel, I didn't believe there was any such thing as a bad Western. :(

All time worst western was the Johnny Depp thing(can't remember the name).
Close second was Sharon Stone in whatever that stupid movie was with Gene Hackman.

“The function of wisdom is to discriminate between good and evil.”
- Cicero

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2005, 08:40:31 PM »
SSC, The Sharon Stone movie was "The Quick and The Dead".  Check the "what's your favorite western" post.  There I agree with you whole heartedly, but there is at least one feller that likes it.  Mebbe it's because of the girl.  While I agree she does look good... the movie is just plain bad!

Offline Second Creek Sam

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2005, 03:01:36 PM »
Thanks, Trinity.

The Quick and the Dead was a dog, even with Sharon Stone.

Now, Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct is another matter. ;) ;D
“The function of wisdom is to discriminate between good and evil.”
- Cicero

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2005, 08:28:34 PM »
 ;D ;D

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2005, 02:59:20 PM »
While I very much enjoy Val Kilmer's rendition of Doc Holliday, from what I've read about the real Doc it seems to me that the most authentic movie portrayal of him was the Dennis Quaid version in Wyatt Earp, starring Kevin Costner.  One other problem I have with Tombstone is they lead you to believe that the OK corral shoot-out, the shotgun ambush of Virgil and the shooting in the back of Morgan all happened in one day, while in reality, Virgil was shot about 3 months after the OK corral shoot-out and Morgan was shot around 2 months after that.  When Morgan was shot in the back from outside of the billiards room, Wyatt was in the room and a second shot was fired at him, barely missing his head.
The only use I'd have for "The Quick And The Dead" with Sharon Stone would be to start a fire.  I do remember seeing that Johnny Depp western thing but can't for the life of me remember the title.  I don't really care if I ever see it again.
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2005, 03:49:45 PM »
I agree... Tombstone is very entertaining and lets face it, one of the best westerns ever made.  I watch it frequently.  I've learned to accept historical inaccuracies in western movies.  Here's another one from Tombstone.  When Curly Bill shot Sheriff White the shot actually hit the sheriff in the groin severing his femoral artery causing him to bleed to death.  He was carried up the street, still alive, to the Dr.'s office.  Before he died he made a statement to the effect that the shooting was accidental and that was why Curly Bill was released with no charges filed.  In the movie Tombstone, Wyatt Earp says Judge Spicer released Curly Bill because there were no witnesses to the shooting.  Not true.  There were several witnesses who told conflicting stories as to how the shooting occured.  Some said it was an accident, while others said Curly Bill performed a "road agents roll" on the sheriff.  At any rate, Judge Spicer released Curly Bill on the basis of Sheriff White's dying statement that the shooting was accidental.
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2005, 06:08:33 PM »
"Once Upon a Time in the West" is a tough one for me to watch as is "The Undefeated".  As for the "Quick & the Dead"  I agree the entire plot is stupid and no woman would have dressed like Sharon Stone in the 19th Century.  However for me the guns and Gene Hackman's clothing make the movie watchable.  I particularly like the scene where the blind boy is trying to find the right ammo for the preacher's (Crowe) conversion.  If I never watched it again I wouldn't be too upset.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2005, 10:12:28 PM »
"Once Upon a Time in the West" is a tough one for me to watch ...

Man Will, that is my favorite movie of all!  I can't even begin to try to guess the number of times I have watched it.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2005, 08:05:42 AM »
 This post came along way from the Undefeated.... But Tombstone has one slow part in the whole movie and will agree Kilmer captured Holiday's illness and poker face and shootist prowlness.... As far as it being slow and hard to follow the scene where they meet their wifes at the train station can be fast foward with the remote. I've watched it so many times I now watch it in Spanish ;D       I do feel as the origonal post said about the Undefeated and would include the Searchers in that list.
Mathew 5.9

Offline jrdudas

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2005, 05:37:25 PM »
I think the worst western I have ever seen (at least one that tried to be serious) was one with Kris Kristofferson.  I think the name of it was "Heaven's Gate" or something like that.  It is basically the story of the Johnson County War in Wyoming.  Problem is, the movie starts when Kristofferson's character graduates from college back East.  That whole waste of time takes about the first hour.  The soundtrack is terrible and the movie is way too long with lots of dead spots.  I know the owners of the ranch in Wyoming where the Johnson County War ended and after long discussions with them I believe the movie is relatively accurate, but none the less, too artsy-fartsy.

John

Offline Cheyenne

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2005, 05:48:27 PM »
Absolute worst western ever was "Dollar for the Dead"....I think that was the name.....had the guy who played BTK in Young Guns in it, and was too stoopid to watch more than five minutes.

Stone's Quick and the Dead, yeah, stoopid movie, but the guns and clothing made it.....I worked on one of "Ace Handlin's" revolvers once....they were Cimarron's (Uberti) and made for the movie.....I liked the conversion Crowe used.

American Outlaws is another that is hard to watch....again except for the guns........sorry, but I've lived both in Missouri and been to Liberty many times, and I've lived in the Texas Hill country now for several years....there's no way you could ever mistake these two areas for one another.....AO would have been better, had they have done away with the James/Younger theme and just gone with a Texas reconstruction theme with ficticious characters, wouldn't have had to change all that much and would have been a better movie. (I have this thing for history, and really hate it when they mess around with it.)

Tombstone is enjoyable, but they portray Morgan and Virgil getting shot on the same night........I think 'Ike' and 'Doc' where the best played characters.

Now, speaking of odd ball westerns, how many have seen Sam Elliot in Desperate Trail?????  He plays a psycotic sheriff obsessed with hanging his former daughter in law....who shot her wife beating husband....Sam's a real he**cat in this one....one of his posse members getsw shot in the face with bird shot, and blames Sam's character....blinded, the guy is calling out and shooting a bit....Sam tells him "I'm right here" and shoots him in the head!  leaving the now dead posse member, Sam and the rest mount up and resume the chase!

And, while I like Sam in most things, I was really disappointed with him as Tell Sacket in the "Sackets"....Tell, in the books, though resolute and self reliant, and a killer when need be, had a lighter side, and a sense of humor that Elliot's portrayal lacked.....LaMour's "Sackett" is written as a narration by Tell....also, they combined two books to make one movie, which didn't work for me.

But, on the Undefeated, yeah, it's a hard one to watch.....ther's some good performances in it, but it is better than McClintlock......of the later JW movies, my two favorites are The Cowboys and Cahill, US Marshal.

Well..........Bye!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com