Author Topic: 7 1/2" barrel New Models New Vaquero  (Read 2920 times)

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
7 1/2" barrel New Models New Vaquero
« on: October 23, 2009, 10:49:38 PM »
Isnt the front sight on the New Vaquero talller than the front sight on the 'Colt' type SAAs ? Looks to be VERYYY tall.

And, do you think that the New Model Vaquero is a better revolver than the USFA Rodeo ? OK, OK,,I KNOW we are talking apples vrs oranges here,,and that is kinda hard to parrell up for comparession....(I'm thinking of a  new revolver and was just pondering the possiblities)

BTW,,before someoen calls me to the matt on the obvious,,USFA WILL do a 7 1/2" Rodeo for an extra 'custom shop' fee. I believe they will even do the 'black powder' frame for you too, but I'm not positive about that,,,and IF so, I assume that would be a 150 extra dollars ??? I would not wish to go 'that far...but I would go for the 7 1/2" barrel as I shoot one long and one 4 3/4" SAA.

But, Rugers are tough,,,I looked at a New Vaquero though,,a 4 5/8 stainless,,and it had more side to side slop in the cylinder than any revolver I ever saw,,,I do not see how the bullet could reliably be counted on to head down the barrel every time ! I'd have to  'hold and inspect' any Ruger I was gonna buy after seeing that deal. USFA ,,,I woujld buy without doing that. That's NOT saying I wouldnt buy the Ruger,,but I WOULDNT buy it ,,non sight unseen and uninspected. But,,back to the tall sights on the 7 1/2 barrels,,,whats the deal,,do they shoot low enough to file some of that hedious thang off ?

Who knows,,,I may become a Ruger convert...I just ain't heard enough of the sermon to know which way im gonna convert yet,,,but its gonna be an American deal I do believe.

Offline Shadow Catcher

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 7 1/2" barrel New Models New Vaquero
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 11:11:44 AM »
Isnt the front sight on the New Vaquero talller than the front sight on the 'Colt' type SAAs ? Looks to be VERYYY tall.

And, do you think that the New Model Vaquero is a better revolver than the USFA Rodeo ? OK, OK,,I KNOW we are talking
<SNIP>

Who knows,,,I may become a Ruger convert...I just ain't heard enough of the sermon to know which way im gonna convert yet,,,but its gonna be an American deal I do believe.

Hey Pard - I've shot Rugers and Colts for over 30 years - Rugers in centerfire and Colts in rimfire - but someday I'll have Colts in centerfire too.

Colts are great - and if they didn't cost so much I'd have more.  Rugers are the toughest guns made, bar none, and they'll take you to hell and back if you need to go.  The new model Vaqueros are great - they look and feel close enough to the traditional Colt that unless you're in dire need of the four clicks and the five round limitation there is no rational reason for the Colt.

I've shot old and new Rugers since 1977, and love them.  The sights on the new 7.5 inch barrels are fine - I've barely removed a fraction of an inch total from my pair, leaving lots of sight blade.  In fact when I hold them up to the 4 5/8 bbl gun you almost can't see that any metal was removed, but they're spot on at 25 yds with 250 LRNFP at 750 f/s.

If you shoot lighter bullets, particularly below 180 grains, you may have to remove a lot more metal - can't speak for certain on that - others might be able to - but shooting a more traditional weight: 200 - 250 gr,  shouldn't require any too much metal removal.

As for fit and function - a 1200 dollar Colt is a 1200 dollar Colt as is a 1200 dollar USFA, but when you get into the 500 - 600 dollar price range, nothing is, in my opinion, going to give you as much gun and as much fun, as a Ruger.  Rugers are ready to go out of the box, although some do change a spring or two, and take 'em apart to stone a few rubbing/bearing surfaces, but a few thousand dry fires snaps will get you there anyway.

The USFA Rodeo is a Colt pattern gun, and USFA makes damn fine guns, but again, unless you're looking for the fit and finish, the color case hardening, the internal fitting, all the things that make it a 1200 gun, then at the 600 price point the Ruger is tougher and every bit as well fitted and finished, plus it will go further and faster using it's newer designed internals, compared to the Colt style mechanism that USFA uses.

This is only my opinion, but I like them both and own them both, and want more of them both, but I compete with Rugers.

Ride safe,
Shadow Catcher
Dirty Rat #389

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com