Author Topic: SUCCESS!!! Lee mould modified...  (Read 5502 times)

Offline Dakota Widowmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
SUCCESS!!! Lee mould modified...
« on: October 27, 2005, 07:26:13 PM »
I got my Lee mould modified as suggested...I left enought of the third grove to make it somewhat beveled at the base.

Man o man...that is still one big bullet!!! 350gr with 1/2 pure lead, 1/2 "hard cast" scrap miester bullets. (makes about 30:1)

It seats to 1.625 on the front driving band. (which is supposed to be PERFECT for the Taylor's Spencer)

Here is a pic of the bullets. (thanks to Hell-Er High Water)

The 1st bullet on the left is an freshly cast 350gr .515" bullet from the modified Lee mould.

The 2nd bullet from the left is one from a similar mould, but, resized courtesy of Hell-Er High Water.
[sizing it removes the front driving band]

The 3rd bullet is from the Ripine mould, again, courtesy of Hell-Er High Water.

And the last piece of eye-candy is the finished product. (this one is actually just a display unit...Lee bullet, starline brass at 1.625" OAL)

Thanks again to Mr High Water for his help...

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Re: SUCCESS!!! Lee mould modified...
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 07:34:21 PM »
Congrats,  glad it did not take you long.

It (they) sure do look impressive, now don't they.  After High Waters pictures and now yours, I am going to give the 500 gr a try.

Black River Smith
Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 10:22:45 PM »
I like the fact that it seats on the first driving band and still maintains a 1.625" OAL

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I might trim my mould down just a tad to make it more flush at the bottom...we'll see.
(350gr might be pushing it... I think I would like to get it down to 335gr or 325gr with a 40gr or 45gr FFFg charge)

I have to lube my bullets before I can go any farther...

The only tragic news is that my Spencer is STILL not at the FFL!!!

(2 weeks!!!! still counting...)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:51:44 AM »

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 05:24:44 PM »
Cutting downward will remove the bevel, this would also leave you with a short bottom ring. That short ring could give under pressure.  Remove the metal outwardly toward the sides, until even with the groove diameter ring, this will create a thicker bottom ring.

It does create a heavier bullet though, sorry.

Black River Smith
Black River Smith

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 05:30:04 PM »
Hmmm.

That sure looks nicer than the .512/350 Buffalo Arms.  I may have to make turning the 500 LEE into a 350  a winter project!

42 Grains of FFFG Goex was really accurate with the 350 BAC bullet.  I thought that FFG would be better, but I guess the short barrel makes the FFFG work well.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 06:18:29 PM »
My dad helped me put the Lee on a the drill press/mill and take off the material.

We didn't use parallel blocks we should have, but, it came out just fine.

Getting it back together with that darn self tapping screw was a pain, but not as horrible as taking it out.

After doing a closer inspection, I think the modified Lee bullet is MUCH better for filling the case...the metaplate is also bigger.

I plan to do some testing with Trailboss, once my friggin carbine comes in...@#$^&

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com