Author Topic: Chaparral 1866  (Read 6214 times)

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Chaparral 1866
« on: April 28, 2010, 10:45:15 AM »
Anyone using a Chaparral 1866 for CAS?  Any info on quality and performance would be appreciated. I'm a little gun shy when it comes to the Chaparral name as I have heard some negative stories, mostly from 2+ years ago.  Maybe the quality has improved since then.

Cheers!
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Russian

• Grand Duke of Russia
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Chaparral 1866
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 10:24:27 AM »
Sorry BCLD, part of that bad CHappy stuff was me from a couple years ago.  Nothing changed, I have no new info on them.

Just didn't want you to think I was ignorin' ya!
Russian SASS 78317

Великий князь Алексей Александрович в России

За Веру, Царя и Отечество!

Winchester afficionado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 10:50:02 AM »
Sorry BCLD, part of that bad CHappy stuff was me from a couple years ago.  Nothing changed, I have no new info on them.

Just didn't want you to think I was ignorin' ya!

I knew you had a problem with your Chaparral NWMP 1876 rifle, in that it was junk.  Just curious if yours was an exception or not.  The Uberti '66 is worth almost twice as much as the Marstar Chaparral '66.  Think I will get it and if it's junk, I'll just send it back to John.  Missed you at the shoot at Rocky last Saturday, we had 61 shooters out considering it was a tad chilly. Some new faces.

Cheers!
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:16:54 AM »

Offline Russian

• Grand Duke of Russia
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 12:36:32 PM »
I have heard more good stuff the year about the CHappy stuff and your right, John will refund no prob, so its probably worth the buy.

Sorry about RMH, would have liked to been there, chill or not, but were moving some friends.  Good to hear 61 people out, thats pretty darn good!  Always happy to hear about new faces, it keeps things dynamic.
Russian SASS 78317

Великий князь Алексей Александрович в России

За Веру, Царя и Отечество!

Winchester afficionado

Offline The Swede

• Top Active Citizen
    • Lars Olsson Photography
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 08:46:56 PM »
I knew you had a problem with your Chaparral NWMP 1876 rifle, in that it was junk.  Just curious if yours was an exception or not.  The Uberti '66 is worth almost twice as much as the Marstar Chaparral '66.  Think I will get it and if it's junk, I'll just send it back to John.  Missed you at the shoot at Rocky last Saturday, we had 61 shooters out considering it was a tad chilly. Some new faces.

Cheers!

Howdy, from what I have heard you should have no problem with new Chaparrals in .45 Colt, or .357 Mag.. I bought an 1873 short rifle in .44-40, and it needs some work. A little rough working the action with ammo (at the range only) in it. The bolt was missing the rim support on the bottom of the bolt face. John is sending me a replacement bolt. I'll give a full report when she is slicked up.

I know a few guys who bought NEW Uberti's, and they were very rough out of the box. John has a good warranty... Overall my rifle looks very good. Everyone was impressed with fit and finish. She was just not smooth shooting.

The Swede

Offline The Swede

• Top Active Citizen
    • Lars Olsson Photography
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 06:10:29 PM »
I am a mite late with the update, but here goes... I received the new bolt, and installed it. The carrier block was very rough along the edges, so I filed it smooth. Took the '73 to the range, and she shot very slick! Very accurate too. The next thing I need to do is replace the sights. The stock sights are great when you have time to carefully aim, but when shooting fast at a match they are very hard to line up. I'll replace with some Marble's sights.

I figure that there will be some more work to be done. Like maybe an action job. Right now she is fine. I am very glad I decided to get a Chaparral '73 in .44-40. Not so much cleaning to do.

The Swede

Offline Icebox Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 02:37:26 PM »
I'm waiting for a Chappie '73 in 44-40 to get to me.  In the mail right now.  Price was right.  I'll let you know how it goes.
Well.... see, if you take your time, you get a more harmonious outcome.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 04:09:30 PM »
Just an update on my Chaparral "66.  I used it as my main match gun all year and is is now slicker than bull snot on a doorknob.  It likes Winchester cases the best as the rim is a bit thinner than other brands.  Took me a bit to figure out why the odd casing wouldn't go in far enough to drop the carrier however with Winchester cases it is flawless.  Last week I shot a friends Henry Big Boy and the action right out of the box is phenomenal.  It was a neat rifle and I don't care what anyone says....it looks cowboy to me.  I just ordered one and it should be here next week.

11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month..........Lest we forget.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com